• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

I think those higher clouds to the west of us are going to muck up any chance of viewing tonight.  If the CME's keep coming perhaps tomorrow night might work better?  The moon is starting to get brighter.  It sets around midnight.  Last night if I had thought fast enough I would have launched my drone and could have got a great picture of the NL over Newfound Lake.

Greens and pinks were visible to the eye, especially on the horizon between 11pm-midnight and 2-4am. Every now and then some strange formations would occur. I didn't see any actual "dancing" but more beams and columns. 

PXL_20240511_070017013.NIGHT.jpg

• Like 5

Kind of sucks we cleared out near sunset but the numbers don’t look that good. Maybe we’ll spike back up later into the evening but it seems the best might be closer to morning and clouds may be a bigger issue by then. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Kind of sucks we cleared out near sunset but the numbers don’t look that good. Maybe we’ll spike back up later into the evening but it seems the best might be closer to morning and clouds may be a bigger issue by then. 

I just looked at the KP index on spaceweather.com    It had been around 7 most of the day but up to 9 right now. About 75% cloudy up here.  I would assume they would be further poleward tonight.  I will be able to tell pretty quickly if they are visible by 945pm.  My plan is to fly the drone and try to get an aerial view over the lake.  

• Like 1

It was a once in a lifetime kind of opportunity here in North Carolina! I was expecting at best a distant glow on the northern horizon but not bright pillars dancing overhead and even aurora to our south! We don't have a space weather thread in the southeast forum but i wanted to share this shot I got from Orange County in NC:

GNT4Cr-WEAAxUMY?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 12

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

It was a once in a lifetime kind of opportunity here in North Carolina! I was expecting at best a distant glow on the northern horizon but not bright pillars dancing overhead and even aurora to our south! We don't have a space weather thread in the southeast forum but i wanted to share this shot I got from Orange County in NC:

Nice eyewall.  What a great display up here.  I am so angry at myself.  I was down at Newfound Lake watching the lights reflecting off of the still water of the lake.  I have a new drone.  I could have flown it and captured the whole lake reflecting off of the colored pillars in the sky.  Didn't think of it before it was too late.  Perhaps one more shot of NL tonight.  Not as brilliant but should see something to the north if this last CME hits at the right time.  Moon is getting brighter but hopefully skies will clear.  Want to get that $$ shot that I missed the other night.

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Nice eyewall.  What a great display up here.  I am so angry at myself.  I was down at Newfound Lake watching the lights reflecting off of the still water of the lake.  I have a new drone.  I could have flown it and captured the whole lake reflecting off of the colored pillars in the sky.  Didn't think of it before it was too late.  Perhaps one more shot of NL tonight.  Not as brilliant but should see something to the north if this last CME hits at the right time.  Moon is getting brighter but hopefully skies will clear.  Want to get that $$ shot that I missed the other night.

NAM and HRRR are still clearing it out by midnight and they’re still predicting G4/G5 so it could still be an epic show if everything aligns.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yeah that would have been amazing! Hopefully you get a shot tonight. There are some drone shots in took here:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diggiebot said:

No dice for New England? 

Bruins lose and now it’s partly cloudy and no aurora. Blah. maddening. I got a cloudy Friday night viewing with only camera view and 5% of the sky on the horizon. 

59 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

That was more awe-inspiring than the solar eclipse for me.  I was up for this entire event driving to locations around western Maine.  Absolutely mind-blowing if you were in a very dark location

IMG_0676.jpeg

IMG_0679.jpeg

I agree.

• Like 1