joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/20-21 Potential Winter Storm

anthonyweather

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that we can be looking at a potential 6+ event (NYC and south) at this point in the season is amazing in itself. Even 3-5 areawide is great.

yeah you couldn't buy one before the end of jan and most storms struggled to get past 4 this year, but darn there were a lot of them...

What time is this starting for the tri-state area?

Will people go into work and its not snowing, and it will be dangerous by 12-1pm? Any time ideas would be great as I have to make a call to shut down a business unit here in Newark. NJ.

most main roads are going to be just wet (unless it really comes down) with the combo of salt, traffic and late March sun.  After 4pm, you'll see more accums on main roads.

My flight tomorrow afternoon is so screwed :(

I predict your flight will be fine.  Visibility isn't an issue for IFR conditions and it won't be windy, which can delay things, but doesn't stop flights, usually - the key issue for airports for closure is runway condition and at around 32F with salt and March sunlight, the runways will be wet, barring 1"+ per hour rates, which aren't predicted for extended periods.  

I predict your flight will be fine.  Visibility isn't an issue for IFR conditions and it won't be windy, which can delay things, but doesn't stop flights, usually - the key issue for airports for closure is runway condition and at around 32F with salt and March sunlight, the runways will be wet, barring 1"+ per hour rates, which aren't predicted for extended periods.  

I predict you are wrong.

LGA just had a serious accident during snow and all the airports will be extra cautious tomorrow.

Also, if we get he 1"-2" an hour rates (like the Euro, GFS, Ukmet have), it will easily stick to the roads and runway.

most main roads are going to be just wet (unless it really comes down) with the combo of salt, traffic and late March sun.  After 4pm, you'll see more accums on main roads.

GFS bufkit suggests some prolific omega near ideal SGZ in the mid-aftn...If the gfs/euro are correct, i dont care if its 31-32 with a late march sun, it will stick to anything with good rates.

most main roads are going to be just wet (unless it really comes down) with the combo of salt, traffic and late March sun. After 4pm, you'll see more accums on main roads.

Correct. Last year (3/25/14) back home in southern DE, we had that silver dollar -type heavy wet snow in the late afternoon that turned Route 113, a four lane highway, to slush in about 15 minutes! And the air temperature never dropped below 33.

I never thought that was possible in late March down there during daylight but S+ will get it done...

Reminds me of the 2003 ALCS game 7...

Yeah, the 12z Euro stays potentially active later in its run. Brings a low out of the Gulf day 8-9 up the coast

just to our SE off the MA and cold here. Has a clipper dropping into the the Western Great Lakes right at the 240 hr cutoff.

Correct. Last year (3/25/14) back home in southern DE, we had that silver dollar -type heavy wet snow in the late afternoon that turned Route 113, a four lane highway, to slush in about 15 minutes! And the air temperature never dropped below 33.

I never thought that was possible in late March down there during daylight but S+ will get it done...

And this event is progged for 29-31 degrees for KNYC during the height of the storm.

Yeah, the 12z Euro stays potentially active later in its run. Brings a low out of the Gulf day 8-9 up the coast

just to our SE and cold here. Has a clipper dropping into the the Western Great Lakes right at the 240 hr cutoff.

Looks like the March 5th set up and similar to the post 2014 SB storm . SLP travels N along the arctic front after it clears the coast . 

rates will over trump ANY sun angle/warm pavement theory you can come up with, it's not mid April people.... It's mid March and temps have still been Neg from norm all month, now could heavily traveled places have issues on pavement? Yes but they always have trouble initially until sunset or temp drop... Even in mid January, unless it's teens or low 20s time square will accumate much less than surrounding burbs initially due to travel frequency, but I'm not buying sun angle at all sorry

Archived