joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/20-21 Potential Winter Storm

anthonyweather

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some schools call an early D based on the forecast and not necessarily what's falling. 

Yes that is true in some cases: Feb 2013 for example, and also Feb 26 2010. But a small March storm at this time of the year where the forecast is not for that much, and slushy as well, uh-uh. March 2013 5 inches fell and we watched it snow all day from my HS office. Some district do not do early dismissal at all. Elizabeth NJ and many urban schools are like that. Trends I'm seeing here lead me to believe the storm will be nice to look at but not have a big impact. It might not even be nice to look at....

The stakes are pretty high for the northern suburbs on this and maybe the city/LI-if the NAM/RGEM are right and the northern edge of the good snow is crushed south, it will both be harder to accumulate with light snow and less QPF. Obviously the GFS would be a thump 4-7" everywhere. The NAM by itself can be written of but the RGEM also restricting the northern end of the snow is a concern. The Euro will be important and then later runs to see if they also restrict the northern extent of the precip. Right now I'd go with 2-5" around the city. 

.50+ on the euro

This seems consistent with what you and others have been reporting this storm would turn out like. Sound like a 3-6 wet snow that accumulates somewhat on side roads, but not on the major roads. What do you have for a total so far in Edison this year? Would this one get us to 50?

This Euro run is the 1st time it shows the 32 degree line south of NYC.

Sweet!! 6" in Times Square!!!

Just stirring the pot. But if temps really are decently below 32 even NYC will see decent accumulations and I'll eat that. I'm sticking to my the park sees 50% less then areas 20 miles west north and east. Current thinking is 2" in the park 4" in said spots. And just to clarify the other NYC stations are less then 20 miles and do not count.

I really think I'm gonna nail this.

This seems consistent with what you and others have been reporting this storm would turn out like. Sound like a 3-6 wet snow that accumulates somewhat on side roads, but not on the major roads. What do you have for a total so far in Edison this year? Would this one get us to 50?

The temperatures drop under freezing at NYC as the snow picks up since the temps dewpoint down.

Anyone notice the current 0 dewpoint at NYC.

CENTRAL PARK SUNNY 38 0 

Honestly, even with a RGEM/NAM compromise with the globals, still looking at 2-4/3-5" in and around the Metro area. The Upton map looks pretty accurate with 2-4." Hopefully the short-term models come around more north to instill consensus confidence.

BUT the Euro's consistency is confidence in itself. Just has held serve

Archived