Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe storms 2015 general chatter

Ian

Corn fuel  

64 members have voted

1. 1. When will DCA report its first spring thunder?

2. 2. How many days with severe weather watches in the subforum in 2015?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That last one made me jump..holy s**t.

It was louder than any thunder during the evening storm. 

Which in retrospect was a keeper, now that I've checked my car and see that it wasn't dented from the hail (or "hailettes."). And we didn't lose power. And what a lightning show: not only CG, but lots of branching across the sky. Kind of wish I'd driven outside the Beltway to get a better view

I often poke fun at Berk for being a weenie but in this instance I have to defend him. That's the same cell that I saw in my neighborhood- it was moving west to east and appeared to be rotating with a "funnel" sort of descending (it was NOT on the ground though when I saw it). Now I'm not a trained spotter so I don't know how to properly determine whether something is a tornado forming or not, so take my opinion for what its worth. I don't have video or pics either, unfortunately (which is ironic because I'm always filming whether events). 

The rain was was already over and I was just outside chatting with people cause it was a nice breeze out, so none of us were expecting to see anything like that. I've been under tornado warnings for stuff that looked like nothing to me, whereas this had no warning and looked much scarier.

I often poke fun at Berk for being a weenie but in this instance I have to defend him. That's the same cell that I saw in my neighborhood- it was moving west to east and appeared to be rotating with a "funnel" sort of descending (it was NOT on the ground though when I saw it). Now I'm not a trained spotter so I don't know how to properly determine whether something is a tornado forming or not, so take my opinion for what its worth. I don't have video or pics either, unfortunately (which is ironic because I'm always filming whether events). 

The rain was was already over and I was just outside chatting with people cause it was a nice breeze out, so none of us were expecting to see anything like that. I've been under tornado warnings for stuff that looked like nothing to me, whereas this had no warning and looked much scarier.

Now I wish I had saved some of the radar shots. 

If I squint really hard at the Andrews TDWR and only look at reflectivity...

Last night around 645 I was in downtown Baltimore heading to the main post office. Crossing Baltimore Street by the Shot Tower it started to spit rain, and by the time I opened my umbrella it started to pour down, and the wind gusted hard enough that the umbrella got ripped from my hands. Started hailing a few moments later and I'd say within 2-3 minutes it stopped just like that. 

The storm was nice.. Saw other pics of it on Twitter. Sculpted etc. Right near the bay is a typical spot for a spin up.. But the first set of pics were very likely inflow. Mets often misidentify features for whatever reason.

Impressive warm air advection ahead of the front.  Winds have gusted to 23 mph at our EOC weather station and the temperature has risen three degrees to 68 in the past 30 minutes.

Lapse rates are quite impressive as Yoda pointed out. Essentially no instability per mesoanalysis but we shall see. Radar doesn't look terribly impressive for the time being. 

Archived