• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2015-2016 speculation and discussion

AlaskaETC

I'd tend to side with you. And, do we base an AN snow winter on repeating the 82-83 Megaopolis storm?

Potential and luck right? We need both more often than not. Based on history I would say this winter has potential. Luck has no predictive attributes. Do we bet for or against the spread? Vegas would struggle with this one

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll play with the average Arctic Oscillation, North Atlantic Oscillation and Pacific North American index values when I have more time to see how well they correlate. Trying to predict winter annual snowfall for DCA is difficult to near impossible before seeing what pattern sets up and even then, we need luck to have a big snowfall year. In one of the really bad strong nino years we even had a negative AO and pretty much struck out while in 1982-1983, one storm pushed us well above normal. 

I have this image saved from my 2014 presentation at the Amex Conference....I didn't update it for last winter (click to enlarge)

DCAvs_AOsnowfall.jpg

The first week of Nov is looking even warmer on the ensembles than the last few days. It's the type of pattern that will make winter weenies nervous if it verifies. All the cold is bottled up in Eurasia as well.

Well shouldn't make "sensible weenies" nervous since 10/09 ended up almost 1 degree BN and 11/09 over 3 degrees AN at BWI. Not unusual at all for mod-strong Niños.

Well shouldn't make "sensible weenies" nervous since 10/09 ended up almost 1 degree BN and 11/09 over 3 degrees AN at BWI. Not unusual at all for mod-strong Niños.

The pattern showing up has shades of 09. Aleutian ridge, ridge east, and +ao/nao. Coldest air over russia.

Not identical or anything but some similarities. If the pv gets stuck over russia this winter then we better get some ao/nao help.

The first week of Nov is looking even warmer on the ensembles than the last few days. It's the type of pattern that will make winter weenies nervous if it verifies. All the cold is bottled up in Eurasia as well.

I wouldn't worry too much right now. nothing exciting winter wise was going on until late November in 09 either. If a month from now it's endless torch and no cold in conus I might get more concerned.

I wouldn't worry too much right now. nothing exciting winter wise was going on until late November in 09 either. If a month from now it's endless torch and no cold in conus I might get more concerned.

December has been sucky in general for awhile.  I think we'll get a backloaded winter in general outside a possible fluke in Nov or Dec. 

December has been sucky in general for awhile. I think we'll get a backloaded winter in general outside a possible fluke in Nov or Dec.

There is research suggesting that February is normally the most "wintry" month out of the winter when you have a strong/super El Niño in place along with a +QBO, like we have now

I think it might be our most wintry month generally, definitely an important one when it comes to big time snowstorms.

I read that for the most part, feb is the month for cold/snow with a setup like this, nov, dec, and jan were pretty much lost causes, same with march. 1983 had the megalopolis blizzard in feb, so the research does have historical backing...

don't waste your time

It has started. Posters in multiple subforums calling 50s cold. It will probably torch and and no one will post or even acknowledge it, in hopes that it will go away.

The truth of the matter is that we should aim to be objective at all times so we can do more than call for snowy and cold every time a el nino is developing.

It has started. Posters in multiple subforums calling 50s cold. It will probably torch and and no one will post or even acknowledge it, in hopes that it will go away.

The truth of the matter is that we should aim to be objective at all times so we can do more than call for snowy and cold every time a el nino is developing.

True. Im still fixing my house from Joaquin being unable to recurve.

Stop the nonsense.

True. Im still fixing my house from Joaquin being unable to recurve.

Stop the nonsense.

Your house would of still been there if Joaquin came ashore. This is something that you made up on your own terms. As for that prediction, nobody is perfect. DT made a solid call but he has failed hard in the past.

What I see now between the CFS November 500mb and Aleutian Low position and strength argues for a winter unlike the past two years, save for the quirky warm December of 2014.

I assume you mean lows? Because 50s for highs around this time of year is in fact "cold". Highs in the 50s don't become average until early November for most of the region.

I assume you mean lows? Because 50s for highs around this time of year is in fact "cold". Highs in the 50s don't become average until early November for most of the region.

We had two days of highs around 50 during the entire month thus far closer to where the average was higher. It's really not cold atm. Wednesday and Thursday were in the 70s. Either way, it doesn't matter since the weather doesn't follow predictable patterns anymore.

We may not freeze again until Thanksgiving or later, after freezing on October 19th. That seems bizarre to me but I want more information to verify if this has ever happened before.

We had two days of highs around 50 during the entire month thus far closer to where the average was higher. It's really not cold atm. Wednesday and Thursday were in the 70s. Either way, it doesn't matter since the weather doesn't follow predictable patterns anymore.

We may not freeze again until Thanksgiving or later, after freezing on October 19th. That seems bizarre to me but I want more information to verify if this has ever happened before.

Officially Cape May was only 33 this month. In late October 2011 Cape May hit 30, then didn't freeze again until December. 1985 was another one. 1983 too.

Officially Cape May was only 33 this month. In late October 2011 Cape May hit 30, then didn't freeze again until December. 1985 was another one. 1983 too.

Good info, my focus is region wide. Cape May has a distinct microclimate but not enough to warrant a distinct discussion. For the most part, the freeze occured already. What is the longest streak in days? Specifics please. We won't know if and when the record is broken until way down the road.

We all know what happened in 2011-2012....

:P

Freezes are often influenced by microclimate since they are usually radiational nights. Any one spot could have an anomaly, it's a bit difficult to look at a whole region. I did Cape May because that is your locale. Pick another location.

KGED.

The microclimate is caused by the bay wind which was blowing off warm water from the summer but yeah other locales simply radiate more efficiently among themselves. Diminishing returns as you head deeper into winter tho and often a cooling effect in late winter/early spring locally.

Even now it's a sultry 60 degrees outside, probably a near record high min.

Try 10/31, dude.

Archived