Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2015-2016 speculation and discussion

AlaskaETC

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still got a ways to go but compare backwards and you'll see the differences. 

Definite improvements in R3.4-4 over the last 30 days. If R1+2 tails off in Dec as some of the seasonal guidance suggests the overall config going into winter wouldn't be scary at all. At least not a hopes and dreams crusher. 

The persistent area of +anoms off the baja coast stretching all the way to Canada is intriguing. It's unusual compared to other Nino's (of all strengths) to have such a large area in the east Pac above normal. There is usually a large area of cool water somewhere in that region during +enso. 

Definite improvements in R3.4-4 over the last 30 days. If R1+2 tails off in Dec as some of the seasonal guidance suggests the overall config going into winter wouldn't be scary at all. At least not a hopes and dreams crusher. 

The persistent area of +anoms off the baja coast stretching all the way to Canada is intriguing. It's unusual compared to other Nino's (of all strengths) to have such a large area in the east Pac above normal. There is usually a large area of cool water somewhere in that region during +enso. 

I want to be tracking something every night...

Nino is insane right now...the dailies I have access to have 3.4 at +2.59...highest it has been...I hope it gets warmer...I want to see an unprecedented strength..maybe we'll get a mega block and - EPO and DCA will get 100"

Yeah, it definitely appears the western region is getting warmer. I guess that could prove to be favorable.

Nino is insane right now...the dailies I have access to have 3.4 at +2.59...highest it has been...I hope it gets warmer...I want to see an unprecedented strength..maybe we'll get a mega block and - EPO and DCA will get 100"

It's pretty unique in how this is not massively east based like '97-'98 or '82-'83...this is really a basin-wide event. The warm waters SW of CA I think are a good thing for active pattern/STJ...that's gonna make things more moist.

cdas_sflux_ssta_global_1.png

It's pretty unique in how this is not massively east based like '97-'98 or '82-'83...this is really a basin-wide event. The warm waters SW of CA I think are a good thing for active pattern/STJ...that's gonna make things more moist.

cdas_sflux_ssta_global_1.png

yes...We're going to see Region 4's temp go up in the next update, though I think it is already above 1 which is warmer than 97-98 ever got I believe....though It still hits a wall near the dateline.....

yes...We're going to see Region 4's temp go up in the next update, though I think it is already above 1 which is warmer than 97-98 ever got I believe....though It still hits a wall near the dateline.....

'97-'98 birefly got to 1.1 for two weeks in late November on weeklies...the only time it was 1.0 or higher. We've been 1.0 or higher prettymuch the entire event in Nino 4 this year. It will probably go up a bit more. It should at least match the 1.3 that 2009-2010 put up...probably pass it.

This will easily be the most basin wide of an event this strong we've seen. Hard to say exactly what consequences that will have...it's possible that we just end up hyping ourselves over it for nothign and we end up with a furnace for most of the winter anyway...but right now, I would probably lean against that idea. PArticularly when coupled with what the rest of the North Pacific looks like right now.

'97-'98 birefly got to 1.1 for two weeks in late November on weeklies...the only time it was 1.0 or higher. We've been 1.0 or higher prettymuch the entire event in Nino 4 this year. It will probably go up a bit more. It should at least match the 1.3 that 2009-2010 put up...probably pass it.

This will easily be the most basin wide of an event this strong we've seen. Hard to say exactly what consequences that will have...it's possible that we just end up hyping ourselves over it for nothign and we end up with a furnace for most of the winter anyway...but right now, I would probably lean against that idea. PArticularly when coupled with what the rest of the North Pacific looks like right now.

1888-89 was likely a basin-wide super strong event.....The low was further west than 97-98, and even though the EPO was ugly, we got some decent air masses that winter...I was just looking at dailies.....even making climo adjustments, February would clearly be a below normal today....We only got 12.5" for the winter (4" of which fell in an April snow to rain deluge), but might have been a case of bad luck....Our sample size is small enough that I agree we shouldn't be discouraged....

1888-89 was likely a basin-wide super strong event.....The low was further west than 97-98, and even though the EPO was ugly, we got some decent air masses that winter...I was just looking at dailies.....even making climo adjustments, February would clearly be a below normal today....We only got 12.5" for the winter (4" of which fell in an April snow to rain deluge), but might have been a case of bad luck....Our sample size is small enough that I agree we shouldn't be discouraged....

You have a remarkable memory for a man your age!

I wouldn't be surprised if we get accumulating snow in the next 3-4 weeks....

Pretty much a total WAG but I'll throw it out there...

The chances for a warm start to Nov look increasingly likely. The trough in the eastern GOA looks to move in by the end of the month and I'm thinking it becomes kinda stable and persists. Pac NW could be stormy early month but we'll probably be warm and boring for a time. 

After that we reload the +pna/-epo around mid month and then the southern stream shows it's face during the second half of the month. Like I said, just a wag but makes sense to me anyways...lol. 

well, that's an entertaining map....forget that it's a 10 day, it's just nice to see it even this early in the season

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=ecmwf&region=nhem&pkg=z500a&runtime=2015102012&fh=240&xpos=0&ypos=627

989 over lake michigan d9 deepening to 965 by the time it gets east of hudson bay. Not exactly something you wish for during winter. Front end thump of rain would nice though

I increasingly like the idea of a see-saw winter with an active pattern... trick will be timing the SLPs with the troughs...

There's a lot of luck involved in El Ninos, if you take away the top 2 storms most of them aren't that great. It's all about it being cold enough when we do get a good storm track and not getting a suppressed storm track when there's good blocking.

There's a lot of luck involved in El Ninos, if you take away the top 2 storms most of them aren't that great. It's all about it being cold enough when we do get a good storm track and not getting a suppressed storm track when there's good blocking.

That can be said about any winter.

I'm keeping an eye out for ~25 Nov-15 Dec.  If we get a good system or two - even if they're sloppy - in that timeframe, then I think we might be able to get our tails up going into JFM.

I fully understand that November and December "aren't winter months" around here, so I'm not going to get upset if we get jack s**t during that time.  But if we do cash in, then it's Big Slick and I'm going all in.

I'm keeping an eye out for ~25 Nov-15 Dec.  If we get a good system or two - even if they're sloppy - in that timeframe, then I think we might be able to get our tails up going into JFM.

I'm focused on the period that falls in between 4 Dec - 6 Dec.

Not too weight it too much but the NPAC low is in a much better position recently than it was to correlate with a -AO...see 3rd image for where it was in 2nd half of Oct 2014....we don't want it there...we don't want an aleutian high....

Just to add - the Octobers in the 2nd image were followed by Gigantic -AO winters

post-66-0-10574500-1445457823_thumb.png

post-66-0-99541400-1445457829_thumb.png

post-66-0-53307200-1445457992_thumb.png

I fully understand that November and December "aren't winter months" around here, so I'm not going to get upset if we get jack s**t during that time.  But if we do cash in, then it's Big Slick and I'm going all in.

I think our chances of something early are better than normal

I think our chances of something early are better than normal

Firstly, good stuff on the Aleutian low.

I wouldn't mind an early snow at all. I suppose beggars can't be choosers, but it'd be nice not to fluke into something way early, but rather to get a nice setup for a couple/few weeks and make that count. I'm feeling that something like that might portend some really favorable chances further down the line.

Of course, cashing in on them around here is a different situation altogether, but at least we'd be in the game...

Archived