joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/4 - 3/5 Post-Frontal Snow Chance

Capt. Adam

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When would watches go up for this, late tonight?

This is one I'm pretty optimistic about (hold the presses!!). Lots of moisture running over top into a strong high and descending cold air, and favorable jet structure. There should be a swath of 8-12" in the best snow area.

I would think watches would be issued tomorrow afternoon and warnings issued Wednesday afternoon to highlight accumulating snow from Wednesday night into at least the first half of Thursday.

By the way it appears Upton liking the look of the models , currently 1-2 Tues. + some Ice. forcasting 2-4 Wed night and 3-5 Thurs. 

Ill settle for low end all days and bank 6 inches to get CPK to 40 inches for season and then Ill wait for a Birthday surprise : Snow on March 31st- has happened before!!

What's he saying

When would watches go up for this, late tonight?

This is one I'm pretty optimistic about (hold the presses!!). Lots of moisture running over top into a strong high and descending cold air, and favorable jet structure. There should be a swath of 8-12" in the best snow area.

I would think watches would be issued tomorrow afternoon and warnings issued Wednesday afternoon to highlight accumulating snow from Wednesday night into at least the first half of Thursday.

Hope so. We have not jackpotted here for a long time and not at all this year. March storms have a way fizzling tho. Think they will hold off until late Wed?

Are we looking at the same NAVGEM? I'm looking at it on TT and precip barely reaches ALB for the Thursday event.

It looks to me like a DC to NYC special.....6-10" my guess from the thursday snow with rain sandwiched between snow events (without seeing the paid snowfall maps, though). Precip really doesn't get too far north and even Boston doesn't come away with much on on the NAVGEM. Still lots of time to iron out this forecast though

Yea it was a quick glance, Shouldnt have put the Albany part in, still over 1.5" for most both storms

If you take the oddball models with know biases like the NavGEm, NAM, CRAS right now and look at where they are relative to normal vs other models I-95 from PHL to NYC and vicinity is about as bullseye as you can be for this event...and being under 72 hours out thats pretty good.

If you take the oddball models with know biases like the NavGEm, NAM, CRAS right now and look at where they are relative to normal vs other models I-95 from PHL to NYC and vicinity is about as bullseye as you can be for this event...and being under 72 hours out thats pretty good.

a lot of people usual hate the nam but for what it's worth, the nam has done really well as of late Imo

I trust it over most guidance within 24-48hrs with the exception of the rgem

NAM did excellent for Sunday storm, especially for timing on the precip and changeover. It may bust badly sometimes like the blizzard for NYC, but within 54 hours it is a good model to use. As for the GFS it has gotten a lot better this winter. Now I hope the ECMWF upgrades so it can become #1 again. At this point I think it is tied with the GFS.

NAM did excellent for Sunday storm, especially for timing on the precip and changeover. It may bust badly sometimes like the blizzard for NYC, but within 54 hours it is a good model to use. As for the GFS it has gotten a lot better this winter. Now I hope the ECMWF upgrades so it can become #1 again. At this point I think it is tied with the GFS.

In its mid range it did well but short term was off for LI and nyc. Only had 2inches for nyc right before event. All the other modeling besides SREFs did well in short term besides nam

I will say that the 4k nam nailed the event however

Archived