joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/4 - 3/5 Post-Frontal Snow Chance

Capt. Adam

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is their a realistic chance of that happening? I am thinking we see 12-1 at best...

It's possible, but my best bet would be 12:1 for the area. For 15:1, imo, there would likely be more confluence as the HP would be either stronger than current thinking, or a push further south, or both. This is post frontal precip with the potential for a LP to spin up along the boundary, vs a LP developing and riding up the coast. My point is that while higher ratios would be nice, this isn't a scenario where a more cold air would just help ratios, it would also shunt the boundary father South.

Realistically, for our areas I think the best call right now would be 4-7" for most of NENJ/NYC and parts of LI, 2-4" for the far NW suburbs with 7-10" for some areas south.....a shift north of course would bring those higher amounts with it into the city area. A shift south would push the city into the lower amounts. Still several model runs to go and lots of time left to panic and rejoice and panic again :)

Realistically, for our areas I think the best call right now would be 4-7" for most of NENJ/NYC and parts of LI, 2-4" for the far NW suburbs with 7-10" for some areas south.....a shift north of course would bring those higher amounts with it into the city area. A shift south would push the city into the lower amounts. Still several model runs to go and lots of time left to panic and rejoice and panic again :)

Spot on for right now

Keep in mind folks all we need is a 50 mile jog north by the models and we see a bonafide areawide MECS. That is a very small and easy  attainable distance to achieve. I think the models are overplaying the northern confluence. Don't be surprised to see a slow march north starting at 00Z.

Keep in mind folks all we need is a 50 mile jog north by the models and we see a bonafide areawide MECS. That is a very small and easy  attainable distance to achieve. I think the models are overplaying the northern confluence. Don't be surprised to see a slow march north starting at 00Z.

Can I ask why exactly you feel this? Especially with all guidance taking a general jog south today

not all of that heavy precip is snow

Keep in mind folks all we need is a 50 mile jog north by the models and we see a bonafide areawide MECS. That is a very small and easy attainable distance to achieve. I think the models are overplaying the northern confluence. Don't be surprised to see a slow march north starting at 00Z.

Yea I can remember a couple 50mile jumps as the storm takes shape this year.. Both good and bad, I believe that 7" overperformer was a big shift for the city in a good way and of course the infamous flurry blizzard for some of us

..46 frozen for NYC on the ECMWF, way drier. It looks like it's try to split it into two waves so they are weaker and the second one is further south. Do I buy this I do not know yet.

Why does that not seem to match up with the snowfall maps being posted seem to be somewhat more

Archived