Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2/25 event venting/whining/whatever thread

BullCityWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it physically possible for it to snow 24 inches in 8 hours? Lol I feel like that has to break some atmospheric law if you're not right next to a Great Lake

I believe the Bridger ski resort in Montana once recorded 71" of snow in 24 hours.

EDIT: It may have been 68" unless it occurred since this 2003 article.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/features/outdoors/bridger-skiers-snorkel-through-powder/article_4ad8b176-00c1-5c73-9f22-f334b1b91fb5.html

Is it physically possible for it to snow 24 inches in 8 hours? Lol I feel like that has to break some atmospheric law if you're not right next to a Great Lake

Ross I lived in Raleigh in 2000 and we received 24 inches in about 12 hours I think but 8 hours seems a bit extreme.  Also, I live in Columbus county.  

Wow, and all those people that slammed WRAL yesterday for being cautious.  We'll see if the rain or snow or sleet wins out.  Almost all the snow has melted from here yesterday.  Feb sun is doing it's job.

The sun today has nothing to do with what happens tonight. 

I swear, with you, PackGrad05, and packbacker. You'd think State fans would be happy and optimistic for once today.

Guess it's a good thing I am north of Raleigh. Preparing for my foot of snow.

Brick, you are killing me. I usually just lurk but your posts are bringing me out of the wood work. Just for once can you please acknowledge the fact that things aren't looking as good for our area as they were 12 hours ago? Do you not see the NW trend or do you see it and are just choosing to ignore it? I'm seriously shaking my head.

Now that y'all are getting a significant storm, everybody be sure to wish one up for southeastern North Carolina. So far this winter, I've picked up 1.3" of snow and 0.36" of ice, all within the past week.

It's been 26 years since the last 6" snowstorm at ILM--over double the return period of 12 years.  :axe:

Brick, you are killing me. I usually just lurk but your posts are bringing me out of the wood work. Just for once can you please acknowledge the fact that things aren't looking as good for our area as they were 12 hours ago? Do you not see the NW trend or do you see it and are just choosing to ignore it? I'm seriously shaking my head.

Won't do any good. He'll just ignore your post or respond back with something about "it's just snow" and how he really doesn't care. He'll never acknowledge anything could go wrong, yet he'll certainly chastise others for it.

I am still in a good spot. Southern Wake County might change to some mix at the end, but I think I'm good where I am at. Besides, it might just mean 8 or 9 inches instead of a foot, and that's still a big deal. I don't see any reason to freak out about it.

Won't do any good. He'll just ignore your post or respond back with something about "it's just snow" and how he really doesn't care. He'll never acknowledge anything could go wrong, yet he'll certainly chastise others for it.

Sure, things could go wrong, but I am not going to freak out and be depressed over it like some of y'all. I just don't get harping on everything that could wrong. Just see what happens, be hopeful, and enjoy it.

Time for the Raleigh folks to prepare for a sleetfest. Rain is not far away!

Gotta have the faith....the storm will be east of track.......what really sucks is we wont know until its actually up here.....that said I still think you guys are fine in Raleigh, me on the other hand if 50 miles shift means the difference between 1-2" and 8-10".

I am still in a good spot. Southern Wake County might change to some mix at the end, but I think I'm good where I am at. Besides, it might just mean 8 or 9 inches instead of a foot, and that's still a big deal. I don't see any reason to freak out about it.

I *think* I'm in a good area but if it keeps trending NW I won't be...and neither will you. Yea, 8" of snow is great, but add an inch or two of rain on top of that and yea, it kind of sucks. Just like the Heels did last night

Gotta have the faith....the storm will be east of track.......what really sucks is we wont know until its actually up here.....that said I still think you guys are fine in Raleigh, me on the other hand if 50 miles shift means the difference between 1-2" and 8-10".

How are those pressure falls coming?

Archived