Newest Member
    joxey
2/25 event venting/whining/whatever thread

BullCityWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love me some good powder falling from the heavens.  :snowing:

The heavy powder last February was awesome.  It will be interesting to see what type of flakes we get tonight.

I definitely prefer prefer powder over giant globs falling from the sky. I'm banking on it being of the powder variety up here again. You might see the more globby stuff. :snowwindow:

I definitely prefer prefer powder over giant globs falling from the sky. I'm banking on it being of the powder variety up here again. You might see the more globby stuff. :snowwindow:

Looks like 850s should mostly hang out in the -2 to -4 C range.  I'm not sure what that generally translates into as far as flake size, etc.

Magpie, I don't think BL temps will be an issue for us.  Our WB was 34.75 as of 5 PM, but t hat should continue to fall.  We should bottom out around 30-32 for most of the storm, I think.

This is good info to keep in mind. We'll see how it all plays out. It's unfortunate to see the kind of shifting we have 24 hours out. This is why I will never doubt or underestimate the NW trend.

yeah I have lived in Greenville my entire life you have no idea how many of these I have watched slip away, that said I have also seen these that looked like this that busted to good....Dec 2000 comes to mind.....I also keep the NAM NYC debacle in mind, where right up to the last minute the NAM insisted it was gonna dig and head west and pound NYC only to be wrong by 50-75 miles......that doesnt mean it happening this time but until this event is happening and the low gets up our way we wont know for sure.......the first few hrs should dump snow on us though so I will try to enjoy that as much as I can.....

Looks like 850s should mostly hang out in the -2 to -4 C range.  I'm not sure what that generally translates into as far as flake size, etc.

Probably not pixie dust by any means, but not huge either. We'll go with medium. Good luck to you guys, let the digging out begin!

yeah I have lived in Greenville my entire life you have no idea how many of these I have watched slip away, that said I have also seen these that looked like this that busted to good....Dec 2000 comes to mind.....I also keep the NAM NYC debacle in mind, where right up to the last minute the NAM insisted it was gonna dig and head west and pound NYC only to be wrong by 50-75 miles......that doesnt mean it happening this time but until this event is happening and the low gets up our way we wont know for sure.......the first few hrs should dump snow on us though so I will try to enjoy that as much as I can.....

Amen brother!

Probably not pixie dust by any means, but not huge either. We'll go with medium. Good luck to you guys, let the digging out begin!

Yeah, that is what I was thinking.  Good luck to you, too.  You might ratio your way to a decent snowfall, IMO.

He is so oddly focused on ground temps. It's bewildering really.

And what I don't get is that soil temps are cold...  You almost never seen soil temps this cold for a snowstorm in our neck of the woods.  These are instant stickage soil temps.

greencast.today.na.500.png

legend_500x25.gif

For reference, in March '09, we had soil temps near 50!

I don't discount soil temps, especially when dealing with marginal temps and iffy rates, but this is not one of those cases.

lol @nchighcountrywx claiming you won't get good stickage at 32 degrees...meanwhile folks in GA have 3 inches already sitting at 34. 

It is the NAM Hires that produced those accumulation maps.   If the ground temperature is projected to stay below freezing, they would not show what they show.

You don't understand the concept of accumulation that will stay on the ground.

Here in the mountains when below freezing our snow stays.   Snow above freezing immediately begins the melting process.

You should stick to spending your time jumping from model to model to find one that shows what you want in your backyard.

Our forum is not your back yard, it is a wide area and Charlotte is not the place you normally want to be looking for snow in North Carolina.   You should know that by now.   Our forum is for promotion of the enjoyment and exploration and study of meteorology and not about ego or attacking people as you do.   Someday when you mature, you will learn that.   It is people such as yourself that have driven the majority of the professional meteorologists away from our forum.  

You best get going this evening to NE North Carolina if you want to see the best accumulations or head up here to the High Country to enjoy our snow.    Don't let it pass you by sitting behind a computer screen 

This is pure HELL to watch from intown ATL, 32.2 and still raining, we have had big flakes, sleet, now rain..

Agreed. I'm on North Avenue, and it sucks having to watch Dunwoody/Sandy Springs/Roswell/Smyrna get snow, while we are stuck with rain and a smidge of sleet.

Maybe this will turn into a small-scale FZRN event here with the rate ground temps are dropping. How fun....  :axe:

At this rate, the FFC forecast will bust, as will the models that still had some kind of accumulating precip down to I-20 (RAP/ECMWF/GFS mainly). It's sad really.

This is what the NWS out of Atlanta is saying for me in Social Circle, GA. I have no idea how they are calling for that.

Occasional snow and sleet, becoming all snow after 1am. Low around 30. East wind around 5 mph becoming north after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Our forum is not your back yard, it is a wide area and Charlotte is not the place you normally want to be looking for snow in North Carolina.   You should know that by now.

lulz....says the guy who almost does nothing but focus only on the Mountains and seems to only post about Charlotte and how you're sure nothing is going to happen here. I hope this storm finally proves how big of a nutjob you are. 

Don't worry the expert for your area says you only end up with 3 inches or so. You gotta drive to RDU if you want to see actual snow. Also it isn't going to stick. 

I'm trying to figure out how I got 3-5" of wet snow on a saturated ground (following a monsoon all day) with 2m temperatures of 33-35 in January 2013.  It must have not happened?

Archived