• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 28th-March 2nd possibly significant overrunning event/winter storm

Thundersnow12

The models have been hinting at something of interest the last few days with the GFS as usual it seems in this range with a setup like this, is being fairly consistent.

The Euro has had it as well and several ensemble members are some serious big dogs.

Hard not to favor the long duration overrunning scenario at this stage until we see some more evidence of good phasing IMO.

Images to come later.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Setup seems pretty good for a big hit somewhere at this juncture.  As mentioned in the long range thread, the most likely way I could see this failing is if too much energy gets left behind and we end up with a less impressive/suppressed/weaker solution.

I'm not sure what to root for...I'm pretty much starting to get that mixed feeling of wanting the warmth to start winning out.   If this cranks and goes nw, we'll get warm and rain...in March, I'm perfectly ok with that....but then I wonder if it would bring down the cold again and make it even worse afterwards.  

Setup seems pretty good for a big hit somewhere at this juncture.  As mentioned in the long range thread, the most likely way I could see this failing is if too much energy gets left behind and we end up with a less impressive/suppressed/weaker solution.

I think the odds for some good overrunning at the least is in the cards. Really nice SW flow atop the plains over a nice and long WAA pattern with trajectories from the western GOM. 

With the last few systems, we haven't had this type of ridging/SW flow. argues for a good deal of moisture being advected northward. 

Uh what? From the guy who wrote the AFD for LOT...

It's all snow buddy

THE GFS IS TRENDING TOWARD A  
MORE NORTHERLY TRACK WITH THE SFC LOW MOVING THROUGH CNTRL  
IL/IN...WHICH WOULD SUGGEST A LARGE PART OF THE CWA RECEIVING EITHER  
ALL RAIN OR A RAIN SNOW MIX...WITH THE PREVAILING SNOW CONFINED TO  
THE NRN TIER COUNTIES ALONG THE WISCONSIN BORDER.

Few reasons why LL cold air might be underestimated on the euro...

1)A fairly strong sfc ridge extends north of the system from the plains to New Brunswick

2) Strengthening PVA is approaching from the NW in tandem with falling thicknesses as moisture moves NE

3) A fairly deep snowpack is in place in addition to frigid ground temps

Few reasons why LL cold air might be underestimated on the euro...

1)A fairly strong sfc ridge extends north of the system from the plains to New Brunswick

2) Strengthening PVA is approaching from the NW in tandem with falling thicknesses as moisture moves NE

3) A fairly deep snowpack is in place in addition to frigid ground temps

Third point is certainly true. There's been a thick snowpack over 8" here for a few weeks now, and we're in a record cold arctic airmass.

System will have a lot of cold air to work with, and good moisture feed as mentioned. This far out, those are some encouraging signs that someone gets significant snow.

00z GFS continues to indicate long-duration overrunning snow event over a widespread area.  rain/snow line significantly further south than the 12z Euro.  

Northern stream is quicker which results in less phasing/less ridging and the baroclinic zone crashing south quicker. 

Still manage 4-6" here but don't like the UL look this run. 

Archived