joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Mixed Bag of WTF storm thread

Ji

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to go down to around augusta georgia to find an above freezing temperature.  Even with southerly winds there isn't much warm air down south to be advected.  Hell there are quite a few 33 degree readings in Florida.

Here's hoping for a miracle on Sunday, hopefully I can get clouds and drizzly and 35, but I know where I live. I'm in TROPICAL East Virginia. There's a reason our population is increasing by 10 percent year over year, mild winters. Spring is gonna make a brief visit to Dale City on Sunday, just long enough to sweep away all my snow lol. Then, enter the COLD again lol.

I took a quick, rough look at the heat capacity of snow vs average soil vs water and it looks like we need a good bit of rain (more than an inch at predicted temperatures) to melt the predicted snow pack plus warm the ground enough to bring it above freezing at the surface. This is going to be interesting even after the changeover.

I came across this useful site for ground temperature. It is still sub freezing 2" deep (31F) though above freezing 4" deep (33F).

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/reportGenerator/view/customSingleStationReport/hourly/2049:MD:SCAN|id=%22%22|name/-167,0/stationId,name,PRCP::value,TOBS::value,TAVG::value,TMAX::value,TMIN::value,SMS:-2:value,SMS:-4:value,SMS:-8:value,SMS:-20:value,SMS:-40:value,STO:-2:value,STO:-4:value,STO:-8:value,STO:-20:value,STO:-40:value,RHUM::value,SRADV::value

Here's hoping for a miracle on Sunday, hopefully I can get clouds and drizzly and 35, but I know where I live. I'm in TROPICAL East Virginia. There's a reason our population is increasing by 10 percent year over year, mild winters. Spring is gonna make a brief visit to Dale City on Sunday, just long enough to sweep away all my snow lol. Then, enter the COLD again lol.

Come on Jeb. Are you kidding me? you just had 6 inches of sugar powder a few days ago and looking at hopefully a few more inches before the deluge.grease up those damn shovels already and stop complaining.

GGEM looks very similar to precip orientation/distribution as the gfs/rgem. I'm officially tossing the nam. Not that I didn't do it the second I didn't like what it showed. 

A general 4-6" through the 95 corridor/cities before the column is suspicious  

my gut says it continues a slight movement to the south

I've been watching that slp in TX and if you look at the current map and then go back to prior hours it continues to weaken

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con.php?image=pr&inv=0&t=cur

and you can see why by looking at temps....no way a slp can move into and develop into that cold dome

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con.php?image=te&inv=0&t=cur

have to be careful what we wish for, not that it will go too far south, but the fact is every model is showing the slp basically dying to our west

have to admit this is the craziest system I've ever seen us get snow so I'm not sure what to root for meteo-wise or what to look for in particular

Come on Jeb. Are you kidding me? you just had 6 inches of sugar powder a few days ago and looking at hopefully a few more inches before the deluge.grease up those damn shovels already and stop complaining.

you are only allowed to reply to Jeb unless you're a registered patient at St Elizabeths

my gut says it continues a slight movement to the south

I've been watching that slp in TX and if you look at the current map and then go back to prior hours it continues to weaken

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con.php?image=pr&inv=0&t=cur

and you can see why by looking at temps....no way a slp can move into and develop into that cold dome

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con.php?image=te&inv=0&t=cur

have to be careful what we wish for, not that it will go too far south, but the fact is every model is showing the slp basically dying to our west

have to admit this is the craziest system I've ever seen us get snow so I'm not sure what to root for meteo-wise or what to look for in particular

Time to pull up the WV

I remember that. It was 18 degrees on a Thursday night. It started raining. The rain instantly froze to my utter delight, and I started sliding on it with glee and onlookers stared at me in total shock, with their lower jaws resting on the icy ground lol. Then the ZR changed to sleet. That sleet became heavy at times and it accumulated 3 inches. It was so much fun jebwalking!!! The loose sleet was fun to walk in then later it hardened like epoxy into a most marvelous glacier upon which I happily slid for days! The sledding was par excellence! The sledding runs were fast as all hell! I slid on my shoes all the way down a street in Dale City, in Hillendale, without falling. That was a first. Man I LOVED that storm so much! And the COLD! I really enjoyed it!

I think this is much more likely for mby and yours than 5 inches of snow.

Can someone please explain to me what a jebwalk is? and who jeb is? or what jeb is? Thanks

It's what you've been doing since childhood if you're on this board in this season at this time of night - only now, it has a name.

Oh, and I think there's some dude involved as well.  He always seems to get plenty of snow and is happy with the climo where he lives.

It's what you've been doing since childhood if you're on this board in this season at this time of night - only now, it has a name.

Oh, and I think there's some dude involved as well.  He always seems to get plenty of snow and is happy with the climo where he lives.

ok, gotcha.

Archived