• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Valentine's Day weekend storm discussion part 2

Sickman

Yeah it's time to watch the evolution of this storm, and stop looking at models. Focus on the radar and spc mesoscale analysis page. 

The HRRR has proven useful in the past in identifying banding features within storms.  Had it been believed in the hours leading up to the NYC/NJ blizzard bust in January the forecasted snow amounts would have been lowered sooner.  But, to each his own.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has had the inverted trough over central NJ for the last 6 hours....could be wrong but it does not change dramatically every hour

it keeps shifting the inverted trough south.  my location was particularly sensitive to those shifts.  it cut my QPF in half in 1 hour.

i realize inverted troughs are impossible... but i look at the HRRR during every snow threat and it's just extremely unreliable. it routinely has dramatic changes in hourly runs. sometimes it does a remarkable job, but most of the time it's not good.

EDIT : wow the RGEM did not bring it further south than its last run (I was thinking it was still over C/NNJ at 12z), but it's consistent with the banding over that same area. Looks almost identical.....really impressive

The HRRR continues to bring the heaviest further south into C/SNJ now, as it has each run.....The new RGEM also has shifted much further south with the band (more so even than the HRRR, but close) :

18z

7567b428769fc8109b7ca7984bec133d.jpg

12z

e44b344df9f8518a7c0bbb6b84df4447.jpg

EDIT : wow the RGEM did not bring it further south than its last run (I was thinking it was still over C/NNJ at 12z), but it's consistent with the banding over that same area. Looks almost identical.....really impressive

The HRRR continues to bring the heaviest further south into C/SNJ now, as it has each run.....The new RGEM also has shifted much further south with the band (more so even than the HRRR, but close) :

18z

7567b428769fc8109b7ca7984bec133d.jpg

12z

e44b344df9f8518a7c0bbb6b84df4447.jpg

Lol that shows state college getting 0.3? erm....

It's nowcasting time folks. No need for models.

Not trying to be sarcastic, but aren't the short term HI-res models based on the current trends and what we would look at while watching the radar to determine a short term forecast as we get closer to the snow's approach? Especially considering they are converging on an approximate location of where it will set up

Thanks for the analysis. I'm surprised you're not a met.

Dude just relax. This was just the initial wave. The show is between midnite and 6. There will b lightning in spots later .

.3 to 6 may fall west to east with good ratios away from the wind, 50 kt wind gusts and your temp will tumble.

Some in NWNJ and somers are reporting 2 inches already.

It just getting underway.

Going to be a big screw zone on a line southwest from MMU to NYC.

SW of that area seems to be the area that the short term models are consistently hitting harder, no? Coastal SNJ up and across to Trenton look to do very well.....hopefully the HRRR is wrong, but I know in the past I've doubted it (as we have with the Blizzard) even up until the time the precip hits and it's been pretty darn close (especially with it continuing its trends for 7 or so runs in a row and showing 1-2" additional in NNJ)

SW of that area seems to be the area that the short term models are consistently hitting harder, no? Coastal SNJ up and across to Trenton look to do very well.....hopefully the HRRR is wrong, but I know in the past I've doubted it (as we have with the Blizzard) even up until the time the precip hits and it's been pretty darn close (especially with it continuing its trends for 7 or so runs in a row and showing 1-2" additional in NNJ)

That was going off the 18z GFS which hits NE NJ and SE NY the hardest.

That was going off the 18z GFS which hits NE NJ and SE NY the hardest.

Ah ok gotcha.....it's surprising again how consistent the RGEM has been with its last couple runs and the HRRR with its last 7 runs as well as the NAM pretty similar (though north some) with the 3-6" area well south of here.....pretty hard to think that it's completely wrong, though we hope it is! Forky actually made a good call last night saying that the band should develop further south than progged

Archived