northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So was the 18z too warm or just light on the precip?

As Burger mentioned 5h looked pretty decent it just didn't reflect on the precip field and the low off the coast kinda got its act together a little too late for everyone. The GFS on the 1st wave was good for almost everyone in my opinion however.

If the GFS was good enough at 12z, it's good enough at 18z. Let's stop this nonsense. Just because you don't like what it shows doesn't mean it's wrong.

One thing I will say is that the GFS, NAM, and even the Euro have been jumping all around with this one.  Meanwhile, the UKMET and even the NAVGEM have been fairly stoic for the last few days.  Of course, they might just be consistently wrong.

The GFS was decent up here.  Probably 4" or maybe 5" of snow before maybe going over to a bit of sleet to end it (granted I haven't checked soundings), but it can obviously be much better.  Looked like half an inch of QPF with maybe some sleet to end it.  I don't really trust the GFS at this point, however.

If the GFS was good enough at 12z, it's good enough at 18z. Let's stop this nonsense. Just because you don't like what it shows doesn't mean it's wrong.

The GFS has been terrible with this storm the entire time. For consistent performance that resembles what is starting to look like the final solution the UK is way ahead, ,then, idk, probably the Canadian. The Euro just jumped 200 miles and the GFS has been spitting out a random ensemble member as an operational run for 3 days.

I don't think any model is really "good enough" right now. I'll bet we don't stop seeing big implication changes until Sunday evening. Overall the pattern is awesome though...the question will be who gets shafted by mixing...or getting missed by heavier precip. 

for central nc posters, gfs shows us getting a bit of the coastal as it gets together.  so still a snow to sleet to snow solution.

The UK/GFS/Euro all show roughly 0.5" to 0.6" precip just from the overrunning, for central NC.  The GFS is much further south.  The GFS does give a little bit more to RDU with the coastal where Euro has none.  We are getting a consensus on what we are going to get wintery precip from, now it's just how far N-S this occurs...

Edit:  The 18z GFS did tick north with the over-running from it's 12z run.

The GFS has been terrible with this storm the entire time. For consistent performance that resembles what is starting to look like the final solution the UK is way ahead, ,then, idk, probably the Canadian. The Euro just jumped 200 miles and the GFS has been spitting out a random ensemble member as an operational run for 3 days.

I think we should wait till the storm actually happens before we say the GFS sucks.

I wouldn't trust the GFS for nothing.  It has big changes every six HRS no way I would trust that thing!!!  Could it be right for YES, but I doubt it very seriously it has to prove it self better than it has as of late.....  It has 4  different solutions every day, so sure it is bound to get one close out of that many runs. lol JMO :)

The GFS/Euro both show roughly 0.5" to 0.6" precip just from the overrunning, for central NC.  The GFS is much further south.  The GFS does give a little bit more to RDU with the coastal where Euro has none.  We are getting a consensus on what we are going to get wintery precip from, now it's just how far N-S this occurs...

like widre said earlier, i see this being more of a snow to sleet to snow solution rather than a snow to frz rain to snow.  especially with the initial thumping of snow monday night and the tendency of the gfs to verify a tad warm.  but we will see.

I wouldn't trust the GFS for nothing.  It has big changes every six HRS no way I would trust that thing!!!  Could it be right for YES, but I doubt it very seriously it has to prove it self better than it has as of late.....  It has 4  different solutions every day, so sure it is bound to get one close out of that many runs. lol JMO :)

I bet if they ran the Euro 4 times a day, you'd see a lot of variation. Maybe not as much as the GFS, since the Euro is a better model. All the same, let's not get pissed off at imperfect models. It's all we'll ever have.

For those of us in SEVA I think the trend is our friend.  The 18Z NAM has temps never getting above 32 throughout the run with about an inch of precip with more to come after that. 18Z GFS looks cold and less precip.  Always the number one concern for us on the coast is temps.

I bet if they ran the Euro 4 times a day, you'd see a lot of variation. Maybe not as much as the GFS, since the Euro is a better model. All the same, let's not get pissed off at imperfect models. It's all we'll ever have.

I understand they are not perfect and never will be perfect but that thing is horrible!!! Most of the time...... Again JMO. I am not mad whether I get one flake or not that model still stinks!

I hope every one that wants wintry precipitation gets in on the action in the southeast!!!

like widre said earlier, i see this being more of a snow to sleet to snow solution rather than a snow to frz rain to snow.  especially with the initial thumping of snow monday night and the tendency of the gfs to verify a tad warm.  but we will see.

The Euro verbatim was all snow for RDU.  I think expectations, atleast mine, are now are for a 2-3" snow and some ice mixed in for RDU, roughly 0.4-5" of precip.  If the Euro keeps ticking north it might be more ice and less precip.  

Archived