• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

If I'm understand them right, they mean in the mid levels, but it was also a bit drier there. Basically it means if you can get rising air to form clouds and punch into this level, you may get convective elements. As Will posted earlier...the saturated lower levels are already borderline unstable.

Cool, thanks very much.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we would be looking at Oct 11 type stuff with the thunder/lightning if that happened.  We would essentially have thunderstorms but pure snow instead of rain...perhaps even rivaling the blizzard a few years back with 5-6'' per hour rates.  Hopefully we get 9 C/KM this summer

Thanks, I dig it. Should be fun to watch unfold. Ditto if it happens in summer. Just throw in 7K CAPE and 50kts shear. But I digress… GGEM sticking to its guns it appears.

GGEM is very close to RGEM at 48h. Not sure how they are run or what data they ingest, but they look very close.

What bothers me about GGEM is its insistence for multiple runs now on that dual low setup with easternmost low eventually taking over, such that best lift dodges around SNE. Did the same with the 1/27 blizzard and that signaled a more eastern surface low track.

These types of mid-level center depictions are where myths and tales of unforecasted 3" per hour rotting deformation bands are born...you always keep your guard up on this setup:

Yes this. 

Of course it just adds to the hype.  But these charts scream this kind of potential.  Feb 2006 in NYC, Westchester, and Fairfield.  Forecasted QPF was similar.  Broke the all-time snowfall record.

GGEM is very close to RGEM at 48h. Not sure how they are run or what data they ingest, but they look very close.

What bothers me about GGEM is its insistence for multiple runs now on that dual low setup with easternmost low eventually taking over, such that best lift dodges around SNE. Did the same with the 1/27 blizzard and that signaled a more eastern surface low track.

If the RGEM doesn't do it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Archived