• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread - Part 2

IsentropicLift

This'll be my last post on AmWX (maybe at some point I'll be back but I'm having my account deleted). It was great interacting with most of you and going through some crazy times and snowstorms, but the BS in general has gotten out of hand lately, and I'm done, up to getting PM's today from a poster saying "you must be bitter that you're living in Texas now and can't get snow, that's why you're like this now", and getting trolled for giving an opinion I at least back up that people don't like, while the weenies here are never challenged. The drama and bickering has also been pissing me off for a while, and it all just has become too much. And the poster who I won't name does have a point-it's a new start for me now, and I'm done with the BS. Later.

:(

Please don't leave I always appreciate your posts here on our subforum.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This'll be my last post on AmWX (maybe at some point I'll be back but I'm having my account deleted). It was great interacting with most of you and going through some crazy times and snowstorms, but the BS in general has gotten out of hand lately, and I'm done, up to getting PM's today from a poster saying "you must be bitter that you're living in Texas now and can't get snow, that's why you're like this now", and getting trolled for giving an opinion I at least back up that people don't like, while the weenies here are never challenged. The drama and bickering has also been pissing me off for a while, and it all just has become too much. And the poster who I won't name does have a point-it's a new start for me now, and I'm done with the BS. Later. 

Why get mad over stupidity?

This'll be my last post on AmWX (maybe at some point I'll be back but I'm having my account deleted). It was great interacting with most of you and going through some crazy times and snowstorms, but the BS in general has gotten out of hand lately, and I'm done, up to getting PM's today from a banned poster saying "you must be bitter that you're living in Texas now and can't get snow, that's why you're like this now", and getting trolled for giving an opinion I at least back up that people don't like, while the weenies here are never challenged. The drama and bickering has also been pissing me off for a while, and it all just has become too much. And the banned poster who I won't name does have a point-it's a new start for me now, and I'm done with the BS. Later. 

Another one bites the dust. I've only been following this board for the past few years, but the decline in quality of posting over that time, especially in this subforum, has been nothing short of remarkable. There are still several great contributors, but they are quickly becoming outnumbered by an influx of new posters that are either too young, too naive, too contentious, or too egotistical. Therein lies the problem.

In any event, I hope you reconsider, jm, as you are clearly one of the most knowledgeable and liked posters in this subforum.

They say this forum is bad, but man the NE forum with that one poster, who will remain unnamed, I'm sure you all know who it is. Boy, it's actually frightening. All they did was mention the possibility that it's going to get mild next week and possibly stay mild through the middle of March, then cool down at the end. You would have thought they just told him a close relative died and he went into deep denial and grief, his posts borderline on psychotic, attacking the mets there, just crazy...

It's mostly in good fun, though. They balance their weenie drivel with sound meteorology to create a fruitful and entertaining camaraderie.

To put it another way: why so serious?

Jm, just stay. Why are you letting these petty things get to you? I have been bashed on in the past on this site and I am still here.

I agree. Jm is an awesome poster and seems like a good guy. Stay and post.....though there are some junk posts mixed in, there are also many of us who read the good posts by the good posters and truly appreciate them and enjoy the discussion. Snow88, you are a solid poster as well. Though sometimes your ability to be happy with an inch or two of snow after expecting 10 inches just a few hours before is just too much for me to handle lol.....you don't get involved in arguments and you seem like a good guy as well, so it's great to have you here.

I agree. Jm is an awesome poster and seems like a good guy. Stay and post.....though there are some junk posts mixed in, there are also many of us who read the good posts by the good posters and truly appreciate them and enjoy the discussion. Snow88, you are a solid poster as well. Though sometimes your ability to be happy with an inch or two of snow after expecting 10 inches just a few hours before is just too much for me to handle lol.....you don't get involved in arguments and you seem like a good guy as well, so it's great to have you here.

And Snow88 is one of Brooklyn's finest. Extra pin on his lapel for that in my opinion lol.

Don't leave dude, at least say in OT/PR. You are right though. This is the worst forum on the board and it isn't close. The attitudes and arrogance here from some are awful. Hopefully Bx can clean some of it up, but it's telling the people who have left over the past year or so, including the red taggers. Those red taggers who have stayed are brave souls.

Another one bites the dust. I've only been following this board for the past few years, but the decline in quality of posting over that time, especially in this subforum, has been nothing short of remarkable. There are still several great contributors, but they are quickly becoming outnumbered by an influx of new posters that are either too young, too naive, too contentious, or too egotistical. Therein lies the problem.

In any event, I hope you reconsider, jm, as you are clearly one of the most knowledgeable and liked posters in this subforum.

This.

I really can't understand why it's such a big deal. Just ignore and move on.. We aren't in pre school.

Because enough is enough at times. I do not intend to comment on the last exchange that drove JM to this conclusion and that is not the point of this post. However, the amount of bickering and the way people are attacked here is disgraceful. If you disagree with a poster, then use scientific reasoning to explain your opinion. But, to me, when you attack someone and have no reasoning as to why, then you do not understand the science behind it. That's not meant to be offensive, that's just how I see it. Additionally, just because you have a difference of opinion, does not mean the other poster is wrong. Both can be right, or wrong for that matter. This is the reason that KOKX, KBOX, MT Holly, etc, collaborate. Many well versed and experienced meteorologists can get together and they each will see different aspects which the other professionals may not. It's the value of team work, which produces superior forecasts.

Furthermore, I understand that some here get all wrapped up in weather and I love it just as much as the next person. I also understand the disappointment in anticipating a significant weather event only to have it miss or underperform; I have been following the weather since I was 4 years of age; and it's the reason I studied for a degree in it. But folks, I can tell you from the work I do, there is so much more in life to get worked up over. Weather is weather, and we all love it. I love to interact and give my opinion and learn in return. Even the best of mets are wrong at times. That's no reason to just outright attack some one. Like I said before, it's disgraceful; and quite frankly, it's degrading to yourselves in the end. We have a plethora of great posters here and many who want to learn, but the bickering and outright attacks that take place here are uncalled for and sad.

No need to leave...its a debate board...and as long as attacks are confined to another person's argument and not the person themself; all is good. Personal attacks (beyond the most mild jabs invariably couched in good humor) are not allowed here. It is inevitable that disagreements will arise on a debate board; if there were none and all views were uniform; there would be no purpose served by having the board in the first place.

No need to leave...its a debate board...and as long as attacks are confined to another person's argument and not the person themself; all is good. Personal attacks (beyond the most mild jabs invariably couched in good humor) are not allowed here. It is inevitable that disagreements will arise on a debate board; if there were none and all views were uniform; there would be no purpose served by having the board in the first place.

well said ; agreee 100%

Great post

Maybe we should institute a 48 hr rule for debating snowfall amounts since all the

petty squabbles have been past this range where the models have less skill.

I would also recommend that JM reconsider since his leaving would be a

big loss to this board. We need the original Long Beach hometown crew to stay

strong. :)

Fwiw, ive sent a PM to jm asking him to reconsider. I also privately did what ill do now, apologize for publicly calling him out. Hes a long time solid contributor who never causes issues or fights and didnt deserve to have his wrong call thrown in his face like that. Finding the right balance between being heavy fisted and letting things slide around here will take some time, and i hope Jm reconsiders leaving and is willing to be one of the people here willing to work with me to find that balance.

The invitation extends to everyone here who wants to help make this place a better subforum, and no longer the laughingstock we are now. Its going to be a big effort, and im sure theyll be more missteps by me (and everyone else lol), but please be patient, and have a willingness to put this dumpster fire out. Everyone needs to contrbute, and we all need to take a step back and think a bit before we post. I hope we can turn this place around.

Heavy on the cliches, i know. Screw off. Lol.

Fwiw, ive sent a PM to jm asking him to reconsider. I also privately did what ill do now, apologize for publicly calling him out. Hes a long time solid contributor who never causes issues or fights and didnt deserve to have his wrong call thrown in his face like that. Finding the right balance between being heavy fisted and letting things slide around here will take some time, and i hope Jm reconsiders leaving and is willing to be one of the people here willing to work with me to find that balance.

The invitation extends to everyone here who wants to help make this place a better subforum, and no longer the laughingstock we are now. Its going to be a big effort, and im sure theyll be more missteps by me (and everyone else lol), but please be patient, and have a willingness to put this dumpster fire out. Everyone needs to contrbute, and we all need to take a step back and think a bit before we post. I hope we can turn this place around.

Heavy on the cliches, i know. Screw off. Lol.

Not intending this as a criticism but rather as an attempt to turn it around, as you state. I remember a time when American (Eastern) was the premier weather discussion board for informative, intelligent, and insightful weather talk. Combination of highly technical info, pros, and hobbyists. Don't know what happened over the years (yes, years) but no question there has been a huge degradation in the quality of the posts and information. There were also various and ridiculous reigns of terror, when even a simple post that one of the NWS offices fell asleep at the switch (which they did) would land the poster a lifetime ban. The board took itself too seriously which also contributed to its downfall. I can think of other weather boards now which are both more informative and also fun. Still come on here, but it's not the same.

I slept on it and decided to stick around. Thanks guys for the support, and I'll work on how things come across from me also. The point about thicker skin is a good idea too, but I've taken criticism from lots of posters before-that's not what made me want to jump. I've talked about the issues I have in this thread and elsewhere, hopefully it gets resolved. It's almost the end of winter anyway, so the bickering and trolling should be tamping down regardless. 

I slept on it and decided to stick around. Thanks guys for the support, and I'll work on how things come across from me also. The point about thicker skin is a good idea too, but I've taken criticism from lots of posters before-that's not what made me want to jump. I've talked about the issues I have in this thread and elsewhere, hopefully it gets resolved. It's almost the end of winter anyway, so the bickering and trolling should be tamping down regardless. 

Alright. Hey, I remember you from the old / old days on the NYC abc board. You were always complaining about being snow shafted at Long Beach (kidding).  Lately, LI is part of the northwest burbs, snow-wise (and I live in the northwest burbs).  lol

Alright. Hey, I remember you from the old / old days on the NYC abc board. You were always complaining about being snow shafted at Long Beach (kidding).  Lately, LI is part of the northwest burbs, snow-wise (and I live in the northwest burbs).  lol

When I was complaining, I was living in State College at PSU. And they were getting shafted-they still do!! :lol:

I can't complain at all about how the last 5 or so winters have been at home. 

Sweet.

good too see ya back. screw the trolls.  post what u want , im sure u know more than most of them for sure

Archived