joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Obs/Weenie disco thread for SWFE to coastal Feb 2

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-3 at my home this morning, ended up with 15.5" yesterday. Bracing up for another. Gotta work at WaWa tonight skiing should be sick. 

I wanted to make it out there last night, but snowblower issues and frozen pipes had other ideas.  There was probably still some freshies around, not too often you get champagne snow at wachusett. Hopefully I make it out tonight, should still be good like you said. 

The snow amounts in urban areas are spectacular in part due to less area to deposit the snow. Mound upon mound. I caved after the blizzard and now have a snow removal guy for the rest of the winter. I'll do inside my back gate but he does front, side, path for the trash, etc. if I weren't still working I'd do it myself...

I doubt we do, though admittedly not my area of expertise here.

I'm pretty sure we do the old fashioned way of punching the snow with the standard 8" tube and melting it down.

I use my 4" plastic gauge, as I catch winter precip in 5-gal bucket of known diameter, so I can pour into a smaller cylindrical container for an accurate measurement.  (Still wary of a 1"+ RA/fast freeze event.  Folks say the gauge sans tube would be safe, but I've seen ice break stronger things.)   Cracked the base trying to push the gauge thru an icy layer about 4 yr ago, duct tape fix has held. 

That map Kevin posted ought to have an extended scale.  Farmington coop was reporting 38" on Jan 31, probably low 40s now.  Coop has had 3" more than me in the 3 storm total, but started with 6" rather than my 8.  Seems like it would've settled more than a few inches - mine has settled over a foot.  The bliz accum is pretty solid, but I only gained 8" (and shrinking) from the 16.6" measured from the other two events.

The MBTA is completely crippled, they're also telling people to stay off Storrow Drive. I don't know how much more the city can handle.

Seriously. Took me over an hour to get home from Wellington last night, train would crawl one stop, wait five minutes, crawl again, stop halfway between station, rinse and repeat. I'm almost to the point of wanting the next one to miss so that we aren't completely shut down for a week.

Quite a bit of compaction today as expected, didn't take a measurement but I'd bet the pack is a solid 6" less than it was last night. 

Seriously. Took me over an hour to get home from Wellington last night, train would crawl one stop, wait five minutes, crawl again, stop halfway between station, rinse and repeat. I'm almost to the point of wanting the next one to miss so that we aren't completely shut down for a week.

Quite a bit of compaction today as expected, didn't take a measurement but I'd bet the pack is a solid 6" less than it was last night. 

as I so correctly predicted the boys crying for their Mommas posts have commenced

Archived