joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based off of that map I bet we could get 4-6 inches inches of snow and sleet. With the majority of precip being sleet. That would be one epic storm.

I think we may get a decent front-end thump of snow, too. It is interesting because 850s are really cold (like -10C) when the precip moves in initially, so it might be high-ratio powder at first.

I don't think we'll see much freezing rain here at this point, so I think a 3-6" call for snow/sleet might work out, depending on QPF. Maybe 2-4" as I'm usually too optimistic.

I think we may get a decent front-end thump of snow, too. It is interesting because 850s are really cold (like -10C) when the precip moves in initially, so it might be high-ratio powder ar first.

Sorry for this basic question but what is causing the wedge to erode so quickly? 

.5 QPF max.

Agree, always cut the NAM in atleast half.  GFS/Euro is roughly 0.5" QPF, that's probably reasonable, maybe less.  This shouldn't be that big a deal, 0.5" QPF with a little snow, a little sleet and a little freezing rain.  To get big freezing rain issues you need more QPF.  For example, the big Dec 4-5, 2002 freezing rain event we had almost 1.5" of QPF that went to freezing rain.   Also, when the SLP does transfer to the coast, the precip will dry up, the models won't predict that very well, we have been miller b'd many times.  Good reason RAH just went with the SWS for us, they will move to an advisory probably by tonight.

post-2311-0-50823100-1424033366_thumb.pn

Just to an example of what we can expect, Jan 29/2005, GSO had about 0.6" of precip which resulted in 1" of snow and 0.25" of freezing rain.  About what we, RDU, can expect, unless the cold does get eroded faster.  I don't remember the last winter storm we ever had where we said the models were to warm, usually it's the models are 1-2F to cold.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.20050130.gif

I can't believe I'm sitting at 41 !!?? Coldest air in 25 years, massive arctic attack! Don't know how anybody can survive out side ! It's like metal left his door open to hell and the heat is funneling up here! I can't even get an ice storm! Really think it was a mistake to put me under a WSW ! I guess it's easier to go worse case scenario, than to go advisory and up to warning as precip unfolds!?

Archived