mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
January 29/30 Clipper

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's with the RGEM uber alles worshiping?

Was going to make a similar comment.

I'd temper exuberance about the Canadians. Fact is last weekend Euro did lead the pack on key synoptic features including the capture and closer to coast scenario. RGEM ultimately had a better handle of that northeastern piece of vorticity and ensuing dual-low / northeastern-dominating SLP, subtle but critical error by the Euro (and surprisingly its ensembles, go back and see runs 12/25) and it embarrassed itself over NYC, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Euro / RGEM was the go-to combo last season, and RGEM scored a coup on Monday, but let's not suddenly dismiss Euro like we do any of the American models.

RGEM has been a very good model ever since the upgrade before last winter. We've been talking about it for a year now. It finally got a chance to shine a bit more in a high stakes storm.

That said, don't overstate it either. Its real wheelhouse is inside of 30 hours. It can be a little jumpy in that 36-48 range.

It's another piece of reliable guidance with the euro. RGEM to me now is kind of like how we used the old ETA back in the 2001-2005 timeframe. The go-to short term model. But it is not infallible. Messenger made a good point...while it really was great showing how far west the big deformation precip would make it, it struggled in being too progressive on the backlash.

Will, the upper level disturbance is quite impressive, the comma head on the lead disturbance is quite strong, plus the upper level trough is going negative tilt already across Western OH Valley, I  think this is earlier than modeled, leading to a potential further west development of the surface low and further south.

I don't think anyone is dismissing the EURO, but rather folks didn't realize heretofor what a good model the RGEM is.

The blizzard drew everyone's attention to that fact.

some of us use the RGEM inside 36 for meso details like precipitation bands and temperature, don't forget it shunted that storm way to early, if the RGEM was right you would have 18 OTG

some of us use the RGEM inside 36 for meso details like precipitation bands and temperature, don't forget it shunted that storm way to early, if the RGEM was right you would have 18 OTG

Yes......it's a great model if you know how to use it, like any model.

They all have strengths and weaknesses.

NAM is like joe joe the idiot circus boy,  but it'll have a day where it is right again too. 

None of the models verbatim are very good for SE MA.  Really need to see this transition to a better hit in part two I think/more dominant early development as they go hand in hand.  Don't really care how it all works out and not spending a ton of time watching.  I'm perfectly satiated after the other day.

Too much rgem asskizzing. It nailed a storm, good model, but ill still ride euros historical consistency if i had the choice.

Who said it was better than the EURO?

All I said was it's a very good model...but yes, it has it's shortcomings.

Again, you have to learn it and know how to use it.

Admittedly, since I don't pour over runs like he does, I didn't realize how much it missed the slow exit...so I continue to learn, myself.

i will remember that moving forward.

Who said it was better than the EURO?

All I said was it's a very good model...but yes, it has it's shortcomings.

Again, you have to learn it and know how to use it.

Admittedly, since I don't pour over runs like he does, I didn't realize how much it missed the slow exit...so I continue to learn, myself.

i will remember that moving forward.

A nice lesson learned the hard way by NWS OKX recently. LOL.

Will, the upper level disturbance is quite impressive, the comma head on the lead disturbance is quite strong, plus the upper level trough is going negative tilt already across Western OH Valley, I think this is earlier than modeled, leading to a potential further west development of the surface low and further south.

James for prez 16'

Im more concerned with a busted forecast that leaves me with a dusting. Border line BL temps here, need decent rates and depending on back side precip leaves me thinking this is the weakest confidence WsW i have had in a while. We'll see

James for prez 16'

Im more concerned with a busted forecast that leaves me with a dusting. Border line BL temps here, need decent rates and depending on back side precip leaves me thinking this is the weakest confidence WsW i have had in a while. We'll see

I'm not expecting more than 1-3 here. Even if I get 3, there's compaction and some melting etc. Definitely a meh event but well appreciated .

I'm still in shock they upped from at klga 18-24 (too high) to 24-36 the day of the event, against basically all modelling trends.

They went to 24-36 then down 18-24 then UP TEN MINS before euro at 12z was starting ( i was in nyc thread for PBP and they were talking about upton's brass ballz to make a call like that.

I heard some PPl saying how the "euro had xyz straight runs giving 25+ to NyC and it was "locked" so it was right call. If they weren't depending on sitting in a 25 mile wide deform band with 6-9" inches just to the west i would agree .

They went to 24-36 then down 18-24 then UP TEN MINS before euro at 12z was starting ( i was in nyc thread for PBP and they were talking about upton's brass ballz to make a call like that.

I heard some PPl saying how the "euro had xyz straight runs giving 25+ to NyC and it was "locked" so it was right call. If they weren't depending on sitting in a 25 mile wide deform band with 6-9" inches just to the west i would agree .

Yeah that's what I don't get. 18-24 was really the top end as it was in NY given the trends. Pretty much every meso model was east. Now we have all the OCM's etc giving this new GFS all the credit haha,  the whole situation is pretty irritating.

People forget that the Euro was really the first model to sniff out this storm. Sorry for the OT.

Archived