Newest Member
    Toothache
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

will let you know if a few minutes.  incoming this a way

good to seeing you posting.  what are your analysis on tonight's good stuff?

I guess if you have a thing for pouring rain you could call it good stuff.

Seriously though, the early snow is kind of encouraging. Maybe some people pick up a slushy half inch to inch on grass/cartops when they weren't expecting much. Tho given the fact that it will be long gone by the time people wake up it probably won't make much of a difference.

I guess if you have a thing for pouring rain you could call it good stuff.

Seriously though, the early snow is kind of encouraging. Maybe some people pick up a slushy half inch to inch on grass/cartops when they weren't expecting much. Tho given the fact that it will be long gone by the time people wake up it probably won't make much of a difference.

I think everyone was expecting it to start as snow or snow/sleet most spots. 

This is the kind of temps and hoping for a miracle I would expect in mid-March for a system - a bitter pill for this to be the set-up on January 23.

we are entirely capable of rainstorms from start to finish here even in january.  this doesn't surprise me one bit.  our average high temps are low 40s, not low 30s.

I'm rather surprised to see graupel snow at 39 degrees with a 33 dewpoint. This conversational snow should switch over to regular rain soon though and become steady and soaking through noon tomorrow. 

Well west and north had better look out - tremendous feed of moisture with snow, sleet and freezing rain will make for a challenging Saturday morning commute in far northern Virginia, the mountains and even places like Leesburg. These communities will get clobbered with 5 or more inches of snow and sleet.

I'm pretty far east and at very low elevation. I'll start out as a little graupel but switch over to rain in an hour or so then a steady regular non-freezing but very COLD rainfall will develop and become heavy at times through much of Saturday morning. The gradient between frozen p-types and plain rainfall will be sharp and will set up about 10 miles NW of  Dale City.

EDIT - 37 degrees with light to moderate graupel, some of it is getting pretty large, but all surfaces are above freezing thanks to strong wall to wall sunshine for much of the day, roads are wet, sidewalks are wet as are car tops and much everything else.

Archived