joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Clipper Jan 21st 2015

metTURNEDpro

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS evolution looks a bit funky though from Hrs 66-72 with it's low progression/development.  Not sure I'd trust it yet, but the suggestion by models of a southerly track look reasonable at this juncture.

Just have to watch the next few runs to see how/whether it changes at all once the current system wraps up into the Maine/CA area.

GFS evolution looks a bit funky though from Hrs 66-72 with it's low progression/development.  Not sure I'd trust it yet, but the suggestion by models of a southerly track look reasonable at this juncture.

Just have to watch the next few runs to see how/whether it changes at all once the current system wraps up into the Maine/CA area.

The Euro  was funky last night too, it appeared to have a well developing low that was turning the corner, then on the next 6-12 hours it shunts it east and merges it with a low off the Coast that comes up from SC and off Florida...almost like a convective feedback type thing.  I think the problem with this is the trailing shortwave over Minnesota and Iowa, it seems to now dampen the pattern too much that this does not amplify.  My guess is the 12Z Euro is going to come in much weaker, but at the same time it may turn the corner more so off the Coast.  The spread on the 12Z GFS ensembles is still massive for 84 hours out.

f84.gif

The Euro  was funky last night too, it appeared to have a well developing low that was turning the corner, then on the next 6-12 hours it shunts it east and merges it with a low off the Coast that comes up from SC and off Florida...almost like a convective feedback type thing.  I think the problem with this is the trailing shortwave over Minnesota and Iowa, it seems to now dampen the pattern too much that this does not amplify.  My guess is the 12Z Euro is going to come in much weaker, but at the same time it may turn the corner more so off the Coast.  The spread on the 12Z GFS ensembles is still massive for 84 hours out.

f84.gif

Wow.  A good 4 of those show some sizable development/impact.  A couple more show a fairly significant event. 

I wouldn't sleep on this the next few runs (not saying it will deliver anything for us).  I recall how last year the storm we had in mid January with a digging clipper/low through the Ohio valley, kind of snuck up on us a bit just in the days before with the models picking up on better redevelopment and moisture.  I believe that one had helped us with a favorable location of the baroclinic zone (if I'm not mistaken).

It has no support..it's the 18z Nam and its 72 hours away. It has like .01% chance of verifying

Big changes at 18z. There are 2 vorts in the north flow...the initial one is so weak it causes some height rises....for the next one.   This is not a fluke run.

Big changes at 18z. There are 2 vorts in the north flow...the initial one is so weak it causes some height rises....for the next one. This is not a fluke run.

It is the NAM at the end of its run. Based on the latter parts of NAM runs, we all accumulated a widespread 100-200 inches of snowfall each year for the past several years. Something to watch, but it is of no value at this point. Let's hope for the best, though

Dont be shocked if we get more substantial digging than at 18z. The energy is getting closer to North America and not fully sampled yet. Based on what I see and the seperation now more apparant between the weaker and stronger shortwave...I expect to see a big solution at 00z.

You think its going to show something similar at 0z?

Dude come on. The energy which has been in sparse networking....as usual...is only now being sampled. Given the marked changes on one run....00z run may look quite good.

Will be shocked if it shows anything close to this at 0z. Maybe if the gfs has something similar would I think it's onto something. Otherwise its just ON something

Dude come on. The energy which has been in sparse networking....as usual...is only now being sampled. Given the marked changes on one run....00z run may look quite good.

If this dramatic change is a matter of better sampling, the GFS will move in that direction. We'll see soon, as the 18z run initialized a short time ago. I suspect that this is more likely one of the NAM's exciting outlier solutions.

If this dramatic change is a matter of better sampling, the GFS will move in that direction. We'll see soon, as the 18z run initialized a short time ago. I suspect that this is more likely one of the NAM's exciting outlier solutions.

GFS at hrs 30 and 36 already appears to be much quicker with the clipper.  

Archived