Potential Clipper Jan 21st 2015

metTURNEDpro

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Snow Map from Upton

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/okx/stormtotalprecip.php

This is more reasonable. 1-2 inches areawide

Interesting - if you go to their seasonal weather page, they still have the 4 am map up, which had more snowfall predicted; see below for the map and here's the link: http://www.weather.gov/okx/winter - wonder why that's not consistent...and it's also why I hate that they bury the snowfall map 2-3 levels deep.  

The 4 am map is found at the link I provided on the main page, while the current, 4 pm map is found under "forecasts" dropdown on the main page and in the "storm total forecasts" link at the bottom of the dropdown.  Whenever they have a snowfall map, I think they ought to have a link to it from the homepage on the main CWA map, like they used to - same for Mt. Holly.

StormTotalSnowRange.png

Numbers,

I totally agree. I think the snowfall map is what most people want. The TV channels know this, it's why they tease to it throughout the newscast. Why does the NWS make this product so hard to find?

i agree, i just type in "NWS nyc snow map" on google and its always the first link

Numbers,

I totally agree. I think the snowfall map is what most people want. The TV channels know this, it's why they tease to it throughout the newscast. Why does the NWS make this product so hard to find?

Thanks - I actually sent the Mt. Holly webmaster an email complaining about this in the beginning of the winter and his main response was that they were coming out with a winter weather page.  That's great, but one still has to go 2-3 clicks to find the map, as opposed to having a link to the map prominently displayed right on the homepage CWA map, which is the main entry point for most users, I assume.  Both offices have missed badly on simplicity with this - and don't get me going on the stupid icon approach for all the key info/pages on the homepages - please, just give me one page with all the links (and what they contain, with nested links that appear when hovering over them) and have it on the homepage.  I don't understand making people click multiple times for things.  

Mount holly

NO ADJUSTMENTS HAVE BEEN MADE TO THE CURRENT SNOWFALL

FORECAST...WHICH CALLS FOR 2-4 INCHES GENERALLY NORTHWEST OF

THE I-95 CORRIDOR...TAPERING DOWN TO LESS THAN 1 INCH OVER THE

DELMARVA. HOWEVER...BOTH THE NAM AND GFS 12Z MODEL RUNS TRENDED

2M TEMPERATURES COLDER FOR WED NT AND THU AM WHICH IS WHEN THE

BULK OF THE SNOWFALL WILL OCCUR...THUS AMOUNTS COULD BE HIGHER

FURTHER TO THE SOUTH. AMOUNTS COULD ALSO BE HIGHER OVER COASTAL

NORTHEAST NJ DUE TO PRECIP ENHANCEMENT FROM ONSHORE FLOW...AS

INDICATED BY THE 12Z NAM. SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED TO TAPER OFF PRIOR

TO THE MORNING RUSH HOUR ON THURSDAY...BUT WITH GENERALLY

SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES...EXPECT ICY SPOTS

The NAM is just delayed until Thursday with the clipper  1 to 2 from the city NE

That's good...will allow the CWA to double their year to date totals.

A friend and I were talking earlier, and I tend to agree with him. The lead wave seems to be moving it's tail and is likewise squashed by the confluence. It's outpacing the vort max as well. As such, it's leaving a plethora of energy behind, which may allow for the second wave to develop. The Nam may be catching onto this.

United States Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer

I'll still take the under based on seasonal trends....it's much worse than last night's runs which had a nice deformation band offshore...no sign of that tonight. 

It`s an inch or 2 . No one bought the 18z run last night seriously .

A friend and I were talking earlier, and I tend to agree with him. The lead wave seems to be moving it's tail and is likewise squashed by the confluence. It's outpacing the vort max as well. As such, it's leaving a plethora of energy behind, which may allow for the second wave to develop. The Nam may be catching onto this.

United States Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer

That`s what the GFS kept doing  . It was deepening the SW on the polar front and the flattening the heights for the arctic wave behind it so it could not deepen . The spacing may be better on the NAM but either way I think most would agree it`s moisture starved and 1 to 2 is prob the right call .

Archived