Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Clipper Jan 21st 2015

metTURNEDpro

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flurries it is.

As you become increasingly well acquainted with model watching; one thing you will find is that the so called "answer" to the question is invariably subject to change and revision...storms that appear to be direct hits for this area 20 runs in a row suddenly veer off 6 hours before they are due to start...and events that have been long written off slowly but surely creep back into the picture while no one is looking...no one but the referee from Caddyshack, that is.

As you become increasingly well acquainted with model watching; one thing you will find is that the so called "answer" to the question is invariably subject to change and revision...storms that appear to be direct hits for this area 20 runs in a row suddenly veer off 6 hours before they are due to start...and events that have been long written off slowly but surely creep back into the picture while no one is looking...no one but the referee from Caddyshack...

True, very true. But the house has been stacking the odds against us since the beginning. That said, the Canadian's snow showers are better than the GFS' nothingness. Maybe the Euro will give us some bona fide snow?

As you become increasingly well acquainted with model watching; one thing you will find is that the so called "answer" to the question is invariably subject to change and revision...storms that appear to be direct hits for this area 20 runs in a row suddenly veer off 6 hours before they are due to start...and events that have been long written off slowly but surely creep back into the picture while no one is looking...no one but the referee from Caddyshack, that is.

Keep it fair, keep it fair...

<Hands him some Benjamins>

No, I can't accept that

<Surreptitiously accepts money and stuffs it in his pocket>

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

1120 PM EST SUN JAN 18 2015

VALID JAN 19/0000 UTC THRU JAN 22/1200 UTC

...SEE NOUS42 KWNO (ADMNFD) FOR THE STATUS OF THE UPPER AIR

INGEST...

00Z NAM/GFS EVALUATION AND PRELIMINARY PREFERENCES

LOW PRESSURE FORMING NEAR THE MID-ATLANTIC/NORTHEAST COAST WED NGT...

PREFERENCE: GFS OR 12Z ECMWF

CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

THE NAM REPRESENTS THE WESTERN EDGE OF THE GUIDANCE AND IS LEAST

PREFERRED DUE TO ITS UNDESIRABLE UPSTREAM SOLUTION CROSSING THE OH

VALLEY AND APPALACHIANS. MEANWHILE...THE GFS AND 12Z ECMWF ARE

CLOSE TO THE CONSENSUS...INCLUDING THE ENSEMBLE MEANS...WHICH IS

MOST PREFERRED DUE TO THE GROWING SOLUTION SPREAD.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdhmd

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/A_96hrbw.gif

attachicon.gif96.gif

"It's a good thing you're an engineer. With tact like that, you'd make a lousy psychiatrist."

A favorable solution was reported in the SNE thread for the 0z ECMWF.

So I read, but what does it really mean? And why am I still up?

Do you have college or work in the morning?  For me...it is a federal holiday & paid...so I have that going for me...which is nice. 

No, I am way passed college. Just insomniac.

We're going off to college

To get a bunch of knowledge

Which we're hoping will let us lead a life of ease...

And no work for the week. Vacation.

Vacation?  What do you mean vacation?  Your *whole life* has been a vacation!

*laughs*

GEFS were pretty good apparently.

This event definitely scares me, there is potential for it to go fairly big on us and with little advanced warning...it only requires subtle changes...its not going to be 1 foot plus but this could turn into 4-8 or 6-10 easily and be a black eye on the forecasters type of deal.

This event definitely scares me, there is potential for it to go fairly big on us and with little advanced warning...it only requires subtle changes...its not going to be 1 foot plus but this could turn into 4-8 or 6-10 easily and be a black eye on the forecasters type of deal.

Talk dirt to me, Harry.

after Upton is still recovering from the cancelled freezing rain advisory yesterday - their AFD this morning already mentions the possibility of plowable snow.....

THE MODELS CONTINUE TO VARY AMONGST THEMSELVES AND FROM RUN TO RUN  

IN A GIVEN MODEL ON THE EXACT TIMING AND PLACEMENT OF AN AREA OF LOW  

PRESSURE PRESSURE THAT TRACKS TO OUR SOUTH IN RESPONSE TO A NORTHERN  

STREAM SHORTWAVE MOVING SE OUT OF SOUTH CENTRAL CANADA. WHAT HAS  

BEEN FAIRLY CONSISTENT OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS THOUGH IS IN THE  

MEAN...THE IDEA OF THE POSSIBILITY OF A PLOWABLE SNOW...IF NOT AN  

ADVISORY LEVEL SNOWFALL FOR PORTIONS OF THE CWA...WITH THE BEST  

CHANCE FOR THIS OVER THE SOUTHERN 1/2 OF THE AREA.

I would take 3-4 in a heartbeat , however me thinks we're looking at a C-2" situation for NYC metro, with perhaps a little more off to our west.. Sure, I'll get jumped on for that but the good news is we only have to wait two days for verification one way or another  :whistle:

Archived