joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Clipper Jan 21st 2015

metTURNEDpro

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhat OT, but Pamela illustrates very nicely why I'm usually interested in these types of systems. Also, just to add, 2004-05 is number 2 for snowfall here behind 95-96. It was a fantastic snow year out this way. There are only 2 years where I grew tired of snow, and those were them. The 18z runs were enough to keep this interesting, 3 days out you'd think we should start seeing some agreement soon.

Somewhat OT, but Pamela illustrates very nicely why I'm usually interested in these types of systems. Also, just to add, 2004-05 is number 2 for snowfall here behind 95-96. It was a fantastic snow year out this way. There are only 2 years where I grew tired of snow, and those were them. The 18z runs were enough to keep this interesting, 3 days out you'd think we should start seeing some agreement soon.

Have to pay attention for a couple reasons both the NAM and GFS showed a more robust system along with the GEFS increasing its precip amounts since 12Z - when they are all doing this at the same time its something to take notice of.........

As a writer I can tell you Pamela you should very seriously consider beginning a weather blog. Style is reticent, informed, accurate.In short, your credibility will attract an audience. Thank you for sharing the knowledge.

Thank you NyBlizz...thank you very much.

Have to pay attention for a couple reasons both the NAM and GFS showed a more robust system along with the GEFS increasing its precip amounts since 12Z - when they are all doing this at the same time its something to take notice of.........

I agree, plus, even though I put very very little stock in them. You can add the newest sref to that list

post-4973-0-22468200-1421632136_thumb.gi

01/30-31 1984 was in there yesterday, I believe that was a snow event here but not sure.

The snow event on the penultimate day of January 1984 saw an inch or two in NYC & L.I. and up to 4 inches in Westchester. 

The American models just suck.

The NAM is just an over blown piece of garbage and the GFS showed nothing at 12z. 2 to 4 at 18z and nothing again at 0z.

Forecasting would be better off if the US models didn't exist.

They are garbage. Manic and are devoid of any continuity.

Sue me.

Still a light snowfall possible. I just don't understand why anyone looks at the NAM...ever.

The models are struggling just a bit with this event; not uncommon when an eastbound mid latitude cyclone begins to fill as it approaches the mountains and attempts to transfer energy to an ocean storm...sort of with that "Omega Block" like pressure pattern.  As Lee Van Cleef noted in Escape From New York..."we're going to give him a little more time...just to make sure".

The American models just suck.

The NAM is just an over blown piece of garbage and the GFS showed nothing at 12z. 2 to 4 at 18z and nothing again at 0z.

Forecasting would be better off if the US models didn't exist.

They are garbage. Manic and are devoid of any continuity.

Sue me.

The American models, or any models for that matter, can't be trusted.....at the very least when they make a big change from one model run to the next. Even the NWS has given their convective feedback.....I mean feedback.....regarding the lack of run to run continuity

Canadian very slow to bring moisture into the region; still basically dry at 0z Thursday. 

Canadian does not look terribly edifying through 77 hours...just some snow showers...but you have to factor in that all the models are ingesting essentially the same 0z data; consequently, the range of solutions is probably not going to be terribly broad...as the algorithms which are at the heart of numerical modeling aren't all that varied from model to model...while things like basic equations of state are obviously not subject to compromise. 

Canadian does not look terribly edifying through 77 hours...just some snow showers...but you have to factor in that all the models are ingesting essentially the same 0z data; consequently, the range of solutions is probably not going to be terribly broad...as the algorithms which are at the heart of numerical modeling aren't all that varied from model to model...while things like basic equations of state are obviously not subject to compromise. 

Canadian looks like a coating of snow Wednesday night with a decent batch of snow showers moving through. Nothing like the NAM, but at least a little something.

Archived