SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/13, 1/14 - Freezing rain threat

packfan98

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1... I can't even believe some are trying to argue that this is a non-event... All it takes is a light glaze of ice (1/8 of inch if that in some cases) on the roads turn them into an ice skating rink and thus become impassible. Once totals reach .25 of an inch, then we start to run the possibility of experiencing widespread power outages. There are relatively few instances where I'll admit receiving ice is a "non-event". Totals of .1-.2 of an inch are pushing it as it is, any more than that and things will start becoming serious in a hurry, especially considering how cold it has been of late (& is projected to be)...

If it's cold enough to actually be anything other than wet on the roads. That's usually the trick around here. I know people are excited about the GFS temps, but the models are sometimes too quick with the cold air. If the precip holds off even a little bit and starts to show up after daybreak, there won't be much actual ice on the roads themselves.

Right now I would say the NAM would be the safest medium between the models. A light glaze of .1 to .15 glaze at RDU with maybe close to .25 somewhere to the south and east of RDU. But I'm a realist and realize that we could get nothing; or could get just a little bit more to meet winter storm criteria(for somebody). If anything this is something to track in a winter that has had nothing to track.  

I could imagine even if the potential exists for .1-.15 inch of ice, the NWS is more than likely not going to take any chances and go w/ at least a winter weather advisory... Predicting precip this far in advance down the the tenth of an inch is pointless even at this range. The overall idea/average I'm getting is to expect about 1/8th of an inch of glaze in the Triangle, that's more than enough to cause major travel problems, and is certainly not what I would quantify as a "non-event"..

If it's cold enough to actually be anything other than wet on the roads. That's usually the trick around here. I know people are excited about the GFS temps, but the models are sometimes too quick with the cold air. If the precip holds off even a little bit and starts to show up after daybreak, there won't be much actual ice on the roads themselves.

The models also often have a tendency to be too conservative w/ CAD, especially in the face of a fresh snowpack that will be getting laid down across the I-70 corridor in IN, OH, & PA, etc... Sleet is also a real possibility here, particularly the further north & west you go in the Piedmont. Still think anyone along a line from Roxboro to Greensboro & areas northwestward stand the best chance of seeing this...

I could imagine even if the potential exists for .1-.15 inch of ice, the NWS is more than likely not going to take any chances and go w/ at least a winter weather advisory... 

RAH usually throws out WWAs for a glaze, so definitely.

They threw out an Ice Storm Warning here for the ice event on December 8th, 2013, which was a bad call, IMO.  Just barely a glaze with temps of 32.  Even before it busted, they were only forecasting 0.1-0.2" of ZR, which wasn't even warning criteria in the first place.

RAH not a big fan in the latest discussion.  Basically saying .10" at most in areas where precip is heaviest... if it aligns with cold.

Saying it may not be cold enough for fzra..

CONFIDENCE IN
SURFACE TEMPERATURES REACHING LEVELS SUPPORTIVE OF FREEZING RAIN IS
LOWER...ESPECIALLY IN THE SOUTHERN TIER. FINALLY...CONFIDENCE IN
PRECIPIATION DISTRIBUTION IS ALSO LOW/MEDIUM AT THIS TIME. MODELS
CURRENTLY INDICATE GOOD CHANCES FOR PRECIP OVER THE SOUTHERN TIER
BUT THE NORTHWEST PIEDMONT...WHERE IT WILL BE THE COLDEST...IS LESS
CERTAIN. THEREFORE WILL CARRY CHANCES FOR RAIN OR FREEZING RAIN
THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. ANY ACCUMULATION OF ICE IS EXPECTED TO
REMAIN BELOW A TENTH OF AN INCH AT THE MOST WITH MOST AREAS ONLY
SEEING A GLAZING TO A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH BUT AREAS UNDER THE
HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION COULD SEE CLOSER TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF
ICE...IF COLD TEMPERATURES AND HEAVIER PRECIPIATION ALIGN

finally found the right thread lol 

The event for midweek looks interesting. gradients have been increasing with newer gfs runs. gfs have seem to come to a consensus on location of the highs and path. 

inbcp2.png

I dont have time to make a ctl file, so i eyeballed pressure gradients. the pressure gradients in CAD areas seem to be increasing and it close to the 2002 ice storm. upper level support is lacking however. with the right exit of the jet remaining over the gulf, any longhorn low that forms will be weak. upper level support is neutral for NC during the middle of the system. All in all, i think models are underestimating the CAD. I do think precip will be very light due to little upper level support and a weak low. 

18z says congrats Fayetteville and Wilmington, nothing N of any of that, game , set ,match!

I'm sure the Euro or Nam will save us!

The 18z GFS actually joined them from their 12z runs. I suppose the Canadian is on it's own. Still think we could get something but we'll need the models to start trending wetter by late tomorrow.

People need to read Roberts post, it's pretty good. It explains alot. 

https://www.facebook.com/WxSouth/photos/a.358160627547332.99358.356106867752708/982453135118075/?type=1&permPage=1

Let's just go ahead and copy the text in here.  He is standing by his freezing rain forecast for the CAD regions even though the models are not showing much QPF response.

wQCU44N.png

He says " well below freezing temps down to upper SC" I got 20:1 odds we don't get below 35 Wednesday night. Taking bets now

Maybe you won't get below freezing, but I would not put 20 to 1 odds on it just yet. There is too much that can still happen. You could just as well be under clear skies and 25 degrees come Thursday morning.

He also made a comment that he thinks this could be a dangerous situation for southern VA and NC, even if it is just drizzle. He said the roads could be bad Wednesday morning. I know folks are saying this isn't a lot of precip, but it doesn't mean it still won't make a big impact on the roads.

Archived