joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/13, 1/14 - Freezing rain threat

packfan98

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS stays dry. Less than .1 at RDU. At this point we would be wise to assume that this event will be a light event ( <.25). **going on that I would consider this a win situation if I personally get .1 of ice accrual. Not saying the NAM is incorrect just saying there is no real reason to say the GFS is incorrect.

The one thing that most models have is low level moisture. I think that we will get some ice but we may not get a handle on how much until the actual event.

The NAM may be overestimating, but the other models are still showing precip.  albeit light...but could still cause trouble.

With all the low level moisture I don't think any model has a handle yet. Could be a lot of freezing drizzle to a quarter inch. We just need to continue to see the moisture on each model run until the event plays itself out.

With all the low level moisture I don't think any model has a handle yet. Could be a lot of freezing drizzle to a quarter inch. We just need to continue to see the moisture on each model run until the event plays itself out.

Yeah I agree, this is a nowcast event...we aren't going to get any better right now, gotta wait for the HRRR and keep watching the SREF, etc.

Looks like the 30-60E -VP relation to wintry weather in central-eastern NC continues to pick up where it left off last winter when all 6 RAH past events occurred w/ -VP in the 30-60E longitudinal band & w/ a few also being accompanied by CCKWs... 

Kelvin-Waves-VP-and-NC-snow-winter-2013-

The snowfall observed in the SC midlands on November 1st this year courtesy of a powerful cold-core ULL also occurred when the 30-60E Velocity Potential was negative (as indicative by the blue colors, dashed contours are indicative of CCKW filtered anomalies). I'm still patiently waiting to see the first bust in real time, i.e. when a winter storm shows up & the 30-60E VP is +. If this threat for freezing rain tomorrow night & Wednesday is realized, this correspondence between Equatorial VP & wintry wx in central-eastern NC would be 8 for 8 since the start of last winter...

200hpa-VP-Columbia-Nov-1-2014-Record-Sno

Here we go again...

vp200-900x1024.png

I'm realistically hoping for .1 to .15 of ice with this event. I also really hope this is not the "big storm" of the 2014-2015 winter. It would be worse that the 2011-2012 winter that gave us this as the "big storm":

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.20120219.gif

I would take that and call it a winter right now.  Nino is dying a quick death, take it while we can.

Euro is up, let's see if it can give us a .1" for Wed.

Archived