• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 12 Overrunning Snow/Ice disco

Damage In Tolland

The NAM is definitely solid for prob MA Pike (maybe even just south of the Pike) and a bit north.  The NAM has a bit more of an organized system (losing that term loosely) and close to the coast with the circulation and really pushes warmer air well into CT and just into MA.  Probably some frozen to begin here but quickly transitioning to sleet and rain

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does? It has a little QPF bomb moving through CT with 3-hour totals over .35" in spots and a half inch of QPF from BOS to BDL it looks like.

Sorry, you're right. I meant where it is snow and not rain but didn't clarify.

Looks like up your way does OK (actually, Berks too), but it looks awful for everywhere in between.

Not really sure if something as advertised by the NAM would verify or not.  Unless I'm overlooking something I don't see much in the way to suggest that we will see the low sort of become as developed as what the NAM does...not that it's really developed much but it has more of a defined circulation that GFS/Euro.  

Moisture should certainly available though and enough data to suggest overrunning precip.  Might end up being a little too warm in the BL for non-heavy precip to fall as anything frozen but further inland should be fine.  Just a question though about how far north precip gets and how much lift we are dealing with.  Could get help from MLJ/ULJ (right entrance regions).  

No...Garth would get his rain.

Yeah that's not happening though like the NAM.  I'm feeling a southern solution for you guys.  I'm still forecasting some light snow up here for the ski area, as a lot of models are showing a ribbon of higher RH and WAA shooting out ahead of the main isentropic lift to the north.  So I think someone in NNE to CNE will get a nice east-west band of 2-3" of fluff, then there may be a break somewhere between that moisture and the larger WAA lift near the stationary boundary down near the south coast.  

I'd feel pretty good especially in the northern half of CT and C/W Mass.  The only thing I'm seeing on some models right now is drier air in eastern New England, in like the CAD/Cold air tuck region of Maine down into NE Mass.  You can see it on some of the RH plots at H85-H8.  Sort of like a wedge of mid-level cold/dry air gets stuck there...something that's easily over-come and usually favorable in strong SWFE events, but wonder how it plays out with weaker isentropic lift and lighter precip falling into a dry layer there. 

At this point that's pretty much over-analyzing it though on a meso-scale.

Nice screw zone for Ray land. Makes sense.

lol. He will be

Yeah that's not happening though like the NAM.  I'm feeling a southern solution for you guys.  I'm still forecasting some light snow up here for the ski area, as a lot of models are showing a ribbon of higher RH and WAA shooting out ahead of the main isentropic lift to the north.  So I think someone in NNE to CNE will get a nice east-west band of 2-3" of fluff, then there may be a break somewhere between that moisture and the larger WAA lift near the stationary boundary down near the south coast.  

I'd feel pretty good especially in the northern half of CT and C/W Mass.  The only thing I'm seeing on some models right now is drier air in eastern New England, in like the CAD/Cold air tuck region of Maine down into NE Mass.  You can see it on some of the RH plots at H85-H8.  Sort of like a wedge of mid-level cold/dry air gets stuck there...something that's easily over-come and usually favorable in strong SWFE events, but wonder how it plays out with weaker isentropic lift and lighter precip falling into a dry layer there. 

At this point that's pretty much over-analyzing it though on a meso-scale.

Yup.  Way too early for this.

(but, that's how we roll)

Nice screw zone for Ray land. Makes sense.

lol.  He will be thrilled.

Is it ice to snow?

Maybe marginal..the problem in the morning is that the winds are not NE...they don't turn NE until later and then is when the mid-levels cool.

925 pushes NE, so you'd prob be like snow to 34F rain for a time back to snow...since you don't typically CAD that well.

Not that any of this is big QPF...it's a minor event. There's still another 24 hours to rfeally hone in the details of this.

Seems like we have no real consensus at this point. Odd for an event this close

For little crap events, the spread can seem larger than it is...we are talking wobbles of like 20-30 miles for temps on a 0.2-0.3" QPF event.

On these junk events, we tend to hyper-focus on details that seem much larger than they are (i.e 2.5" of snow versus 1.2")...nobody would be dissecting 8.5" vs 9.7" on a larger event.

For little crap events, the spread can seem larger than it is...we are talking wobbles of like 20-30 miles for temps on a 0.2-0.3" QPF event.

On these junk events, we tend to hyper-focus on details that seem much larger than they are (i.e 2.5" of snow versus 1.2")...nobody would be dissecting 8.5" vs 9.7" on a larger event.

Yeah thats very true. I guess the nothing vs something aspect makes it seem like the spread is huge

Euro is basically a pike-job to CNE for 1-3"...changing to snow south fo pike but not much...maybe C-1.

The QPF isn't that impressive..maybe 2 tenths. But it's a net gainer...a win this winter.

Looks ok in NNE though...or decent. I read your post and then was surprised to see more QPF in NVT/NNH than in southern NH.

The Berks to ORH jackpot though with 0.25-0.35" QPF...tapering to 0.15-.2" up here.

Still some dry air or something coming down the coastline as the heaviest QPF is definitely western SNE of CT/Mass west of ORH.

I think MPM looks to be in the best spot of consensus.

Looks ok in NNE though...or decent. I read your post and then was surprised to see more QPF in NVT/NNH than in southern NH.

The Berks to ORH jackpot though with 0.25-0.35" QPF...tapering to 0.15-.2" up here.

Still some dry air or something coming down the coastline as the heaviest QPF is definitely western SNE of CT/Mass west of ORH.

I think MPM looks to be in the best spot of consensus.

Probably better frontogenesis there too. The para GFS showed that. I haven't seen the euro, but that's my guess.

Archived