joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The peach tree is relatively susceptible to damage by cold temperatures. Temperatures of -13°F or lower will generally destroy most peach flower buds and temperatures lower than about -17°F will cause damage to limbs, trunks, and leaf buds. Trees can be damaged by rapid temperature drops following a period of mild weather in early fall or early spring.

I planted a Reliance peach at my place a week after moving there in May 1998, and a second one in early May of 1999.  Unfortunately, that second one was halfway leafed out when we had a killing mid-20s freeze on 5/12.  It set a second crop of leaves, but was doomed.  The 1998 tree doubled in size each growing season for 4 years, only to have 80% (and any flower buds) die back each winter as temps hit -20 to -25 each year.  Then winter 2001-02 only dropped to -12 and only featured one day with a max lower than 20 (16F).  That summer there was no dieback, the tree was covered with blossoms, and bore 100+ sweet tennis-ball-sized fruit.  From Jan 15 thru March 7, 2003, we had 12 days with minima -20 to -29, several days with subzero highs and wind, and it killed the tree, though it made a weak and short lived sprout from below the graft that spring.  I was grateful for that one crop before being taught that my frost pocket location (hardiness 4A) was not a place to grow my favorite fruit.

Called my dusting 0.1" because it covered the car, sort of.  Had 2.2" at my office, but less than 1/2" only 5 miles NNW where I gassed up this morning.

Some more photos from yesterday afternoon wandering around up high...

Looking southwest across the Champlain Valley into the southern High Peaks region of the Adirondacks.  Pretty easy to envision the CPV downsloping off SW winds in this photo.

IMG_8515_edited-2_zpsb1qfaxey.jpg

A wider view of the Champlain Valley with Whiteface Mountain standing above it all.

IMG_8513_edited-2_zpsbnc43dg4.jpg

Also had quite a bit of blowing snow in the higher elevations yesterday afternoon.  Wind was definitely picking up, sustained at 30-40mph out of the SW by yesterday afternoon.

IMG_8520_edited-2_zps298gg4fk.jpg

Blowing snow on Maple Ridge down Mansfield.

Its always amazing how wild it looks sometimes.  Then you remember that Vermont's busiest stretch of highway runs right through this photo from Montpelier to Burlington in-between the second (Bolton Mtn) and third (Camels Hump) peaks.  And there's a good deal of folks that live in and around these mountains on either side (J.Spin's right down there too, haha). 

IMG_8518_edited-2_zpsby3owq5p.jpg

Some more photos from yesterday afternoon wandering around up high...

Looking southwest across the Champlain Valley into the southern High Peaks region of the Adirondacks.  Pretty easy to envision the CPV downsloping off SW winds in this photo.

A wider view of the Champlain Valley with Whiteface Mountain standing above it all.

Great photos. Despite the WSW direction in these pictures It's also easy to envision northwesterly upslope flow along the Green Mountain spine. I'd love to fill the entire CPV and upstream region with colored smoke during low froude number upslope events, just to visualize orographic blocking and upstream lifting  :lol:.

Great photos. Despite the WSW direction in these pictures It's also easy to envision northwesterly upslope flow along the Green Mountain spine. I'd love to fill the entire CPV and upstream region with colored smoke during low froude number upslope events, just to visualize orographic blocking and upstream lifting :lol:.

That's an awesome idea! Haha. I've always wished we could come up with some sort of fluid animation of the atmosphere and run it through various levels of blocked flow. Something you could look at almost like 3-D terrain and moisture.

That's an awesome idea! Haha. I've always wished we could come up with some sort of fluid animation of the atmosphere and run it through various levels of blocked flow. Something you could look at almost like 3-D terrain and moisture.

We can probably do something along those lines with WRF post-processing nowadays, it would certainly be fascinating. I ran some WRF simulations of the 2-3 Jan 2010 event which, as you probably know, was about as blocked as it gets. I used more primitive post-processing but the along flow cross-sections of theta-e (basically streamlines) and cross-barrier wind nicely depicted the upwind lifting in the CPV and orographic blocking along the windward slopes. 

Great photos. Despite the WSW direction in these pictures It's also easy to envision northwesterly upslope flow along the Green Mountain spine. I'd love to fill the entire CPV and upstream region with colored smoke during low froude number upslope events, just to visualize orographic blocking and upstream lifting  :lol:.

That would be awesome and I certainly wouldn't mind a Froude somewhere near 0.2.

Okay I did it.   I love weather, especially winter weather but this year the cold really got to me.  Endless days in the single numbers and teens. Yesterday I  closed  up the house, rented a condo in Florida and started driving south.   Down in Charlotte NC tonight and headed for Destin Beach Florida.  35F feels so warm outside. 

Everyone down here is taking about the cold and  snow from  the storm just ended.  So funny to see everyone bundled up and all the highway warnings signs, warning of black ice. Although the highway was dry there is a winter weather advisory against travel tonight. Ground has been snow covered all the way down the east coast and its amazing to drive 900 miles south and still not see 40F on the car thermometer.

Enjoy the rest of winter up there, I will be lurking from the beach!

Gene

Okay I did it.   I love weather, especially winter weather but this year the cold really got to me.  Endless days in the single numbers and teens. Yesterday I  closed  up the house, rented a condo in Florida and started driving south.   Down in Charlotte NC tonight and headed for Destin Beach Florida.  35F feels so warm outside. 

Everyone down here is taking about the cold and  snow from  the storm just ended.  So funny to see everyone bundled up and all the highway warnings signs, warning of black ice. Although the highway was dry there is a winter weather advisory against travel tonight. Ground has been snow covered all the way down the east coast and its amazing to drive 900 miles south and still not see 40F on the car thermometer.

Gene

You picked the coldest part of Florida!  Destin had a high of 46 today.  Next week looks a little nicer.

I'm still jealous though.  I won't be able to head back to FL until November of 2016.

You picked the coldest part of Florida! Destin had a high of 46 today. Next week looks a little nicer.

I'm still jealous though. I won't be able to head back to FL until November of 2016.

It is but I prefer the Panhandle's beaches. I'll be in that area must for a couple of weeks this summer.

Not sure I can pull off my below 0 avg min after last night's 9F. MOS is looking warmer again tonight.

Pulled it off...avg min for the month is -0.5F. With -9F this morning, CON's summation for the month falls to -1, but obviously that averages out to 0.0F.

Snowfall was 43.3" with only 2.64" of precipitation. All precip was in the form of snow. I'm not sure I've ever managed over a 16:1 ratio for a monthly average before.

Pulled it off...avg min for the month is -0.5F. With -9F this morning, CON's summation for the month falls to -1, but obviously that averages out to 0.0F.

Snowfall was 43.3" with only 2.64" of precipitation. All precip was in the form of snow. I'm not sure I've ever managed over a 16:1 ratio for a monthly average before.

Avg Feb low was -9.9 after yesterday's -5, needed at least -12 for a full -10. Have not looked but I'm guessing we were -12 to -15.

I've measured 23.5" on 1.33" LE, ratio of 17.7 to 1, all snow (obviously). The mini-blizz of 2/2, with 0.53", was the only event to reach 1/4" LE.

Okay I did it. I love weather, especially winter weather but this year the cold really got to me. Endless days in the single numbers and teens. Yesterday I closed up the house, rented a condo in Florida and started driving south. Down in Charlotte NC tonight and headed for Destin Beach Florida. 35F feels so warm outside.

Everyone down here is taking about the cold and snow from the storm just ended. So funny to see everyone bundled up and all the highway warnings signs, warning of black ice. Although the highway was dry there is a winter weather advisory against travel tonight. Ground has been snow covered all the way down the east coast and its amazing to drive 900 miles south and still not see 40F on the car thermometer.

Gene

He bailed out on us. Lol.

I am not looking forward to the midweek rainer :(. It will be one of those front enders I don't like and in the CPV I know it could mean a return to bare or near bare ground.

12z suite doesn't look nearly as bad for northern VT.. euro is close to an all snow event and gfs still has a net gain in snowpack. If the seasonal trend holds you may jackpot on this one  :lol:.

12z suite doesn't look nearly as bad for northern VT.. euro is close to an all snow event and gfs still has a net gain in snowpack. If the seasonal trend holds you may jackpot on this one  :lol:.

LOL that would be nice and yes I just saw the Euro. It is hard to know if it underestimates the WAA torch with southerlies in the CPV or not. Last time we had a front ender we walked away with bare ground here. We of course cashed in on the back ender in December with 10-12 inches after 12 hours of rain.

LOL that would be nice and yes I just saw the Euro. It is hard to know if it underestimates the WAA torch with southerlies in the CPV or not. Last time we had a front ender we walked away with bare ground here. We of course cashed in on the back ender in December with 10-12 inches after 12 hours of rain.

Yeah I'll be curious too see how well the low-level cold air holds in the CPV (and HV) despite the southerlies. Model progs earlier in the week had some semblance of a surface high to the north.. that would certainly have helped.

Yeah I'll be curious too see how well the low-level cold air holds in the CPV (and HV) despite the southerlies. Model progs earlier in the week had some semblance of a surface high to the north.. that would certainly have helped.

Yes it would have. Either way you will never see me as a fan of front enders :).

Archived