joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This doesnt sound too bad to me but what do I know.

A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL THEN APPROACH FROM NORTH OF THE GREAT
LAKES REGION...PASSING WELL NORTH OF OUR AREA TUESDAY NIGHT.
SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW ALOFT DEVELOPS ON TUESDAY AS SURFACE HIGH
SLIDES EASTWARD...A SURGE OF WARM AIR ALOFT MOVES INTO THE NORTH
COUNTRY TUESDAY NIGHT. WARM AIR ADVECTION SNOW WILL DEVELOP
TUESDAY AFTERNOON WITH BEST CHANCE FOR SNOW FROM ABOUT 00-06Z
WEDNESDAY. MAX TEMPERATURES ON TUESDAY WILL BE IN THE MID 20S.
COLD FRONT PUSHES EASTWARD ACROSS OUR AREA AROUND 06Z WED.
GENERALLY ONE TO THREE INCHES OF SNOW CAN BE EXPECTED WITH SOME
ISOLATED FOUR INCH AMOUNTS...AND PERHAPS SOME SLEET MIXING IN
BRIEFLY. OVERNIGHT MIN TEMPS WILL BE PRETTY MILD DUE TO
PRECIPITATION AND AMPLE CLOUD COVER. DRY SLOT MOVES INTO THE AREA
WEDNESDAY MORNING SHUTTING DOWN PRECIPITATION.

I dug a hole outside our house today. ~24" , but nearly all powder. Where the sun hits, the top layer is crust, but just below that, soft powder. I wonder if this march will be like last. Going to Hawaii last weekend of the month, bit sure would be nice to lock in three more solid weekends for sledding and skiing. March can be dicey. No guarantees.

My 26" had 5.69" SWE when I took a core Saturday.  Last year I cored a 26" pack on March 1 and found 8.02", with a major ice layer at about 10", legacy of the pre-Christmas IP/ZR event.  This year's pack is undifferentiated sugar down to the bottom 4", with that base being the leftovers from the late Dec Grinch.

This doesnt sound too bad to me but what do I know.

A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL THEN APPROACH FROM NORTH OF THE GREAT

LAKES REGION...PASSING WELL NORTH OF OUR AREA TUESDAY NIGHT.

SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW ALOFT DEVELOPS ON TUESDAY AS SURFACE HIGH

SLIDES EASTWARD...A SURGE OF WARM AIR ALOFT MOVES INTO THE NORTH

COUNTRY TUESDAY NIGHT. WARM AIR ADVECTION SNOW WILL DEVELOP

TUESDAY AFTERNOON WITH BEST CHANCE FOR SNOW FROM ABOUT 00-06Z

WEDNESDAY. MAX TEMPERATURES ON TUESDAY WILL BE IN THE MID 20S.

COLD FRONT PUSHES EASTWARD ACROSS OUR AREA AROUND 06Z WED.

GENERALLY ONE TO THREE INCHES OF SNOW CAN BE EXPECTED WITH SOME

ISOLATED FOUR INCH AMOUNTS...AND PERHAPS SOME SLEET MIXING IN

BRIEFLY. OVERNIGHT MIN TEMPS WILL BE PRETTY MILD DUE TO

PRECIPITATION AND AMPLE CLOUD COVER. DRY SLOT MOVES INTO THE AREA

WEDNESDAY MORNING SHUTTING DOWN PRECIPITATION.

It is a lot better than it looked early on. Now it is essentially a minor to non event for most up here. A few hours of warmth will soften the snow some but it shouldn't do too much damage. I still have my fingers crossed for a big ticket before time is up. We obviously have been seeing mostly nickle and dimers

Jspin and PF...any idea of water content in your snowpack?

That's definitely an analysis I've not gotten around to because it's a bit of a chore – but your inquiry will probably make me get around to it now; I'm sure CoCoRaHS and the NWS would be happy to get a sense for where it’s at in our area.  The pack has been around now since November 27th, with some notable ups and downs through December.  But I think January and February haven’t seen much in the way of loss due to warmth, and total liquid for those months was 2.78" and 2.44" respectively.  I'm sure there's been some loss to sublimation, but I've got to think the water in there is somewhere in the 3-5" range.  I'll let you know as soon as I run the actual analysis.

Bolton and Stowe are probably picking up a couple more as we speak on top of those totals. We had about 1.5 inches here I would say (eyeballing, didn't get a chance to measure because of work).

We've got a solid 4" as of 11:30am. Starting to get closer to 5" up top. Its pretty much total fluff now with weak radar returns bringing big dendrites. 2-3" through 6am and another 1-2" today is probably how it'll shake out.

We've got a solid 4" as of 11:30am. Starting to get closer to 5" up top. Its pretty much total fluff now with weak radar returns bringing big dendrites. 2-3" through 6am and another 1-2" today is probably how it'll shake out.

Nice, The refresher was definitely needed. On Bolton it was becoming a bit of a scrape fest yesterday.

That's definitely an analysis I've not gotten around to because it's a bit of a chore – but your inquiry will probably make me get around to it now; I'm sure CoCoRaHS and the NWS would be happy to get a sense for where it’s at in our area.  The pack has been around now since November 27th, with some notable ups and downs through December.  But I think January and February haven’t seen much in the way of loss due to warmth, and total liquid for those months was 2.78" and 2.44" respectively.  I'm sure there's been some loss to sublimation, but I've got to think the water in there is somewhere in the 3-5" range.  I'll let you know as soon as I run the actual analysis.

Cool. No biggie...was just curious.

Jspin and PF...any idea of water content in your snowpack?

Not at the moment. This week is a hydro week though so tomorrow morning I'm doing mountain snow-water analysis. I keep the tools in the office so usually won't core at home.

My guess is the 30-something inch snowpack at 1500ft, has 8-9" of liquid. I think 2-weeks ago it was 7.5".

Nice.

Yeah well 1500ft never fully melted out after the Thanksgiving storm...I mean there was water lost during the Grinch system, but for the most part the snowpack is holding most of the water from this winter.

Something like 145" this season at 1500ft, on probably like 10-12" of liquid, of which 8-9" is still in the pack.

Bolton and Stowe are probably picking up a couple more as we speak on top of those totals. We had about 1.5 inches here I would say (eyeballing, didn't get a chance to measure because of work).

Based on what I saw on our web cam, it looks like we picked up an additional inch or so down in the valley, so the mountains should have had another inch or two easily.

02MAR15A.jpg

It is a lot better than it looked early on. Now it is essentially a minor to non event for most up here. A few hours of warmth will soften the snow some but it shouldn't do too much damage. I still have my fingers crossed for a big ticket before time is up. We obviously have been seeing mostly nickle and dimers

as soon as my voodoo doll finishes up with the wednesday situation, I'll start it on getting us a biggie. :sled:

Not at the moment. This week is a hydro week though so tomorrow morning I'm doing mountain snow-water analysis. I keep the tools in the office so usually won't core at home.

My guess is the 30-something inch snowpack at 1500ft, has 8-9" of liquid. I think 2-weeks ago it was 7.5".

Yeah I noticed how deep the pack was even at the mountain base in Stowe. Here are a couple of grabs from there (bottom of the Toll Road area)

11038685_10102475298149579_4071327447676

11026023_10102475298304269_6613823479224

Its really ramping up again here... down to close to 1/4sm visibility in moderate to heavy snow at the ski area. Air is just thick with large dendrites. Getting some specks of 30dbz now which is usually at least 1"/hr in these upslope g]

Will and Coastal pretty much predicted this exact post from you the other day in the event thread. Lol

In and out faster than weatherwiz on prom night.

Looks like the fan on my FARS died last night. Not sure how I'll go about replacing it with the cord buried under 2ft of snow and soldering required. May need to make a HD run for some wire nuts for the time being.

Archived