CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol yeah its not over until about the middle of April. Things do really go down hill for the rest of the SE as we enter March. I am glad most got to see some snow though.

A brief warm up comes next week then trough comes back in the east with possible blocking, March 14-24 Cold in the east, per JB still a long walk to the end of the block!!! I'm not saying there will be a winter storm outside the mountains, but March will probably end up a cold month also, and IF we get blocking all bets are off. Might sneak another winter event in!

A brief warm up comes next week then trough comes back in the east with possible blocking, March 14-24 Cold in the east, per JB still a long walk to the end of the block!!! I'm not saying there will be a winter storm outside the mountains, but March will probably end up a cold month also, and IF we get blocking all bets are off. Might sneak another winter event in!

I agree with those dates as that looks like things are lining up for that time period especially if we can get a but of a negative nao. Yeah winter is far from over.

Which types of blocking would we generally want for a cold pattern? (EPO, PNA, NAO, etc.) Sorry, not too advanced on meteorology :P

right know the pna and the epo has been driving the pattern with an active stj. But as we get further along in the season we really need the nao to kick in but not always really it 8s just the right setup. Look at the super storm of 1993. The nao and I believe the ao were both positive.

I get back from vacation on March 15th, so I'm in. 1981/1983 repeat FTW. :yikes:

I get back from vacation on March 15th, so I'm in. 1981/1983 repeat FTW.

Very well could happen, If it's going to be cold I hope we have some threats.... But cold in March is not like cold in Jan-Feb daily averages coming up fast. so saying it's going to be cold could mean a lot of cold rain and temps in the 30s and 40s....

March 1960 , say hello!

Good news about the new Euro weeklies looking out to weeks 3-4: kind of cool and damp looking. Week 4 is the colder relative to normal for much of the country. So, keep hope alive for another fun event. Plus that will hopefully keep the bugs away a good bit longer. One of my favorite things about winter is the lack of many bugs being out.

Boy, would I love to see something like that, Heck even half of pattern like that would be awesome!!!

As intensely cold as has been the last half of this month (the coldest in history relative to normals), the first half of March of 1960 was actually about four degrees colder for Atlanta!! That's in absolute terms, not relative to normal!! To me, that is one of the most amazing periods of winter in the SE US.

Boy, would I love to see something like that, Heck even half of pattern like that would be awesome!!!

I wasn't even a glimmer of a glimmer in somebody's eye, but I have heard about it my whole life! And every year winter sucks, it's thrown around quite a bit! And let's us hang on to hope a little while longer, I have yet to see a March snow that I can remember and that was 93, and I got about an inch in Gastonia

I wasn't even a glimmer of a glimmer in somebody's eye, but I have heard about it my whole life! And every year winter sucks, it's thrown around quite a bit! And let's us hang on to hope a little while longer, I have yet to see a March snow that I can remember and that was 93, and I got about an inch in Gastonia

Yeah I heard about it all my life too, A lot of my family remembers it well... It was a little bit before my time!

As intensely cold as has been the last half of this month (the coldest in history relative to normals), the first half of March of 1960 was actually about four degrees colder for Atlanta!! That's in absolute terms, not relative to normal!! To me, that is one of the most amazing periods of winter in the SE US.

No doubt, probably never happen again, But wouldn't that be something to see!!! :snowing:

posted this in the wrong thread: 

I HIT CLIMO ON SNOWFALL:

February will go down as a top 5 coldest of all time and match November as a top 5 coldest of all time:

DJF are gonna avg below normal temp wise at GSO and RDU:

DJF are going to avg possibly above normal precip wise at RDU and GSO (might need to check this one) but atleast near normal:

What a 12 day stretch of winter weather we just went through. We had 4 frozen precip events, 2 of which where winter storms. Saw 2 abnormally below avg arctic outbreaks, and got a clipper to get across the mtn's and put on a great 20 minute firework show, Kids missed 8 out of last 10 school days and went on 3 hr delay on one of them.

March 2,1980 was the coldest snowstorm for our area in my 50 years of living here. During the height of the storm we dropped down to 9 degrees and stayed at 10 degrees all day. That's insane for January, but to have temps like that in March was virtually impossible. Check out the study that was done on it, when you get a chance.

Good news about the new Euro weeklies looking out to weeks 3-4: kind of cool and damp looking. Week 4 is the colder relative to normal for much of the country. So, keep hope alive for another fun event. Plus that will hopefully keep the bugs away a good bit longer. One of my favorite things about winter is the lack of many bugs being out.

Amen on the bugs, People wishing on spring, gonna be pulling that weed eater string, mosquitoes biting you, pollen everywhere, sweating....blah

But the main meal of day after day of 90 for the high and 70 for the low, with 15% chance of pop up and dewpoints in the mid upper 60's, is what really makes spring so enjoyable knowing these conditions are just right around the corner.

Amen on the bugs, People wishing on spring, gonna be pulling that weed eater string, mosquitoes biting you, pollen everywhere, sweating....blah

But the main meal of day after day of 90 for the high and 70 for the low, with 15% chance of pop up and dewpoints in the mid upper 60's, is what really makes spring so enjoyable knowing these conditions are just right around the corner.

I loathe spring.

CMC still has the snow/ice threat in around the same time maybe a day later, it would be nice to get one that gives us that missed out this past storm a decent hit.

That is a far better setup, my man. Check out the ideal placement of HP! Is it all real? Probably not, but hey, at least it's inside 10 days!

That is a far better setup, my man. Check out the ideal placement of HP! Is it all real? Probably not, but hey, at least it's inside 10 days!

Is a high centered in TN a good thing?

This is for next weekend right? Our best storms come a few days after a heatwave in the winter, so I've heard!!? This one is the one!

The long wave trough pattern would suport some fun n games by the end of next week, if it's to be beleived. This one we are about finished going through over the past 2 weeks, was a slam dunk as far as being full of potential and easy to recognize. Well see if the signal is still showing by Sunday consistently, if so I'll consider firing up the bus again. Had a nice 2 week ride, but it still has a little bit of gas in the tank for one more quick trip.

Archived