• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model discussion thread

ORH_wxman

Yes me too Jerry.  I think Dan 123 was saying it because he thought it was a bad thing for the continuation of a wintry pattern...although I could be mistaken by assuming that as well???

Well I think if it's truly an Aleutian low that doesn't encompass he entire ak region it's good. Good because it will tend to pump up heights to the east and allow PNA. One of the things that Will and Scott stressed in the autumn is we want an Aleutian low. When that low retrogrades towards Siberia sometimes bad things happen particularly if we don't have the ridge north of ak.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think if it's truly an Aleutian low that doesn't encompass he entire ak region it's good. Good because it will tend to pump up heights to the east and allow PNA. One of the things that Will and Scott stressed in the autumn is we want an Aleutian low. When that low retrogrades towards Siberia sometimes bad things happen particularly if we don't have the ridge north of ak.

So picture a low height anomaly near and south of the Aleutians on here. It's not hard to see how the ridge becomes favorable for Miller Bs if you push this east near the west coast. You may not have vodka cold,  but a +PNA can deliver more than enough cold if the ridge amplitude is strong enough.

post-33-0-95694500-1419890237_thumb.png

Because the next two threats are crap, and I don't think we go into the second half of January without another event. I guess you could call it an educated hunch.

I think the 4th has potential, but that may just be poster location in determining which threat we each think has potential.

But you could do really well in that event if it goes SWFE with that arctic air there...or at least better than most in SNE.

So picture a low height anomaly near and south of the Aleutians on here. It's not hard to see how the ridge becomes favorable for Miller Bs if you push this east near the west coast. You may not have vodka cold,  but a +PNA can deliver more than enough cold if the ridge amplitude is strong enough.

attachicon.gifgfs-ens_z500a_nhem_384.png

Great illustration!  Thank You for showing that Scott!! It's  Appreciated.

Thank You Jerry for the explanation...I see you what you mean now, and agree with you.

18z GFS brings some front-end snow to SNE, but really has CNE/NNE cash in.

Quick question regarding the Para--on tropical tidbits, it has it in 6-hour increments unlike the 3-hour ones in the regular GFS. Does anyone know what the 'ready for prime-time' runs will be showing?

29.7/16

Not that it matters, but that would be a nice 6-10" dump north of the Pike ala '07-08 before any changeover.

Yeah Scott, I believe models are slower with the SW piece of energy ejecting, and therefore give more time for the northern stream to deliver the arctic air mass needed to give us some front end snowfall.

Also the GFS now has the clipper low intensifying off the east coast of the US.  This is another redux clipper/ explosive scenario developing, however its at least 177 hours out, GFS is faster with timing.

Keep an eye on that weak low that scoots east over NNE on the models, that reinforces the low level cold and could be a big important piece of the puzzle. You can see this at hr 102 and 108 on the GFS. The GFS is dam cold at the surface even at BOS for awhile.

Last few runs have had that feature with some some up slope snows over the mtns and lighter snow further east as it moves off to the NE over the region

Swfe event vibe on American and Canadian guidance (notwithstanding the para flatter ots with moisture thrown back). I think the idea of a messy swfe event should be the go to thought until we get closer.

a sloppy mess would fit the bill for our well anticipated pattern change storm. seems like a decent shot at front end snow for many in the least.

The para definitely looks messy. However, that would still be at least some snow for the majority here. Even if only a few inches. Verbatim, it may also flip folks back over on the backside.

It also has that clipper/redeveloper a few days later.

This is a pretty interesting storm to track. Seems like the first storm where most on this forum could get a piece of the action

Archived