• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What was your favorite winter between 02-03 and 09-10?

Fozz

24 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite winter in between?

Had over 6 feet in 03-04, which capped off a 150"+ two season total with 02-03. Pretty awesome, but I was  in State College. Had two one footers and 4 other storms with at least 6". Snow was on the ground most of Dec-March. Probably the most consistently snowy winter I've experienced. 

Had over 6 feet in 03-04, which capped off a 150"+ two season total with 02-03. Pretty awesome, but I was  in State College. Had two one footers and 4 other storms with at least 6". Snow was on the ground most of Dec-March. Probably the most consistently snowy winter I've experienced. 

It was a great winter in central PA and a decent winter in the mid-Atlantic... however, February was a shutout and I absolutely hate when that happens.

I remember next to nothing about any of those (mostly) sorry winters other than the junk storm of Feb 2007 that everyone here - for some reason that I don't understand - seems to be in love with.  I hold no affection for any storm that drops sleet.  

^THIS

I didn't follow weather forums back then but I never remember that storm (or that winter) being as big a deal in my area as so many here make it out to be. I do remember February being very cold though.

All of these winters were generally lame so idk which one to pick:

03-04 all I remember was Jan. being very cold and dry.

04-05 had a big rainstorm on 12/23 when I graduated college but I don't remember any decent snows

05-06 all I remember was the Feb. '06 storm and Jan. was very warm

06-07 had the cold Feb. as I mentioned

07-08 had the 12/5 snow but that's all I remember

08-09 had the March storm which was kind of good, and January was cold, but that's about it

I'd have to go with 03/04.  It had the healthiest snowfall (35.5") combined with a cold January....It got off to an early start on Dec 5,6 with a two part storm totalling 13.5 inches.  Then another 4.5" on Dec 14th.  There were several squally events in the middle of Jan.  then a decent stretch between Jan 24-27 with 3 separate events totaling 13 inches.  A few more minor squally events in Feb. and March nickled and dimed me up to an average season total.  

January 2004 was nice... started lame with a classic warm/wet, cold/dry charade, but had some really nice events later in the month... an overperforming clipper followed by a 5-10" snowstorm followed by freezing drizzle. My area was hammered in early December 2003, but it didn't have the same persistent cold as December 2002.

I liked the sleet storm because it was unique, it was crippling, and it left us with a glacier. Feb 2007 had a lot of nickel and diming too and being the coldest February since the 1970s was a really big deal IMO.

I'd have to go with 03/04.  It had the healthiest snowfall (35.5") combined with a cold January....It got off to an early start on Dec 5,6 with a two part storm totalling 13.5 inches.  Then another 4.5" on Dec 14th.  There were several squally events in the middle of Jan.  then a decent stretch between Jan 24-27 with 3 separate events totaling 13 inches.  A few more minor squally events in Feb. and March nickled and dimed me up to an average season total.  

I really enjoyed that event you spoke of in late January that year. The clipper started things off late Friday night into Saturday morning with about 3 inches.The main storm then came Sunday night into Monday morning with 5.5 inches. Finally was the low on Tuesday that developed just a bit too far north and a bit too late for us to really cash in but still managed 2-3 inches during the early evening hours. Total for me in the 3 events in Reisterstown was around 12 inches.  Total for the Early December 2 part event was around 12 inches also.

According to the KU book, the city of Baltimore itself picked up 12" on 12/5-6/2003 :o

I don't know about the city but there were areas in  Northern and Western Howard county, Western Baltimore County and Southern Carroll County that did very well with first part. Some of these ares got 8-9. I got 6.5 with the first part and 5.5 with second part. Northern areas was the place to be for part two. If I had to guess I would say the more favored areas in the city probably maxed out between 8-10 combining both parts.

I'm pretty sure (w/o looking) BWI was no where near that

I'd like to know where in the "city" they were measuring too

BWI picked up 6.8" total... it was too far south in the first round and quickly changed to rain. Very, very tight gradient in part 1 of that storm, probably worse than 12/8/2013.

The city managed to do better, and the northern burbs (including my backyard) were raked. The second part was a more even 4-6" or so.

1. 2004-05: 10" from the KU on 1/22, back to back moderate snowstorms last week of February, and some really cold days the second half of the winter. Snowiest winter of the bunch and snow opportunities through March. Although, IIRC, the Feb 28th storm was supposed to be a KU, but ended up being somewhat of a bust.

2. 2003-04: 9" on 12/5; coldest January since 1982 that also had a few moderate snowstorms. Decent winter overall, but could have been a lot better.

3. 2005-06: Torch, but the 14" KU in February was the biggest snowstorm between February 2003 and December 2009. Also a couple moderate snowstorms in a one week period in December, and an amazing snow squall in April.

4. 2006-07: I was tempted to put this one higher; back-loaded winter with the coldest February since 1979 and infamous sleet storms in mid-February and mid-March, The classic "I'd take my chances with this winter again" winter.

5. 2008-09: The 9" March storm saved the winter; other than that, it was almost as bad as 2007-08, although January was cold.

6. 2007-08: Torch; only snow I remember from this winter was a dusting on 12/5 and a sloppy 2 inches on 2/22. Almost as bad as 2011-12.

I lived in Bethesda in 03-04 and 04-05 and mostly remember those winters as falling well short of their potential. Though Dec 03 was a nice storm. Those late Feb 05 Miller A's were ok, but frustrating for what they could have been.

Feb 06 was a fun storm, until the sun came out in the morning. Fastest I have ever seen a foot of snow melt. Otherwise, a pretty drab season.

06-07 was my favorite of this group. First winter in WV and from 1/20-3/20 was as good as the second-half of winter gets, with 26" total snowfall. The 6" I received on 3/16 was like a midwinter storm in every way. Strange for so late in the year.

07-08 was forgettable, with a few nice icing events here the highlight of the season.

08-09 was putrid here. We whiffed on the March storm, and ended the season without a 2" event. I think it was only the second winter since the 1920s that could claim that in this area. 5" total for the season.

I prefer fewer bigger snowstorms to a bunch of stat-padding ones that are low impact. I picked 03/04 because just west of the beltway, in Potomac, MD, we did manage 8" in 12/5-6 event and 6" in the 1/25-26.... two decent events that stuck around for awhile, prolonged cold in January, and that's a decent winter in my opinion. 12/5-6 was a two-way bust. The first wave was definitely an over-performer for the suburbs-- a WWA verified WSW criteria for most of MoCo. The second wave from the main low was an under-achieving bust as we ended up on the southwest edge of the precip shield; the WSW verified as WWA amounts for the immediate DC metro area. 

06/07 was second for me, even though snow totals were less than the two preceding seasons. February did manage two 4" events even if one of them was sleet. Again, the "snow" cover stuck around for awhile and there was one impressive stretch of cold.

04/05 had a decent total number of events and ended around average snowfall total for my area. The two late February storms were just disappointing even though both came on strong at after the sun went down. I guess under-performing on the two biggest events of the year makes that season less impressive to me than the snow total would indicate.

05/06 was the highest snow total out of any of these seasons, mostly because my town scored 14" in the February storm. But, there wasn't a second 6" storm to complement this one, and as all have pointed out, the snow started melting from under even before it stopped snowing.

08/09 and 07/08 were both terrible, but the "saved by the super-band" March '09 event pushes that season over 07/08.

Archived