joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2015 Pattern Discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the split flow that develops with a +PNA is actually a very good pattern. It produces bootleg pseudo blocks sometimes. (Think PDII in 2003 as an example). I'd really want to see some STJ in there if we get that. Not too overpowering obviously but it's been feeble so far.

ughhhh...sadly, we can't expect any help from the "Nino" anytime soon

temps keep dropping, to be expected post Christmas

Nino1+2      Nino3        Nino34        Nino4 Week          SST SSTA     SST SSTA     SST SSTA     SST SSTA
 26NOV2014     22.4 0.4     25.9 0.9     27.6 1.0     29.5 0.9 03DEC2014     22.3 0.0     25.8 0.7     27.4 0.8     29.4 0.9 10DEC2014     22.8 0.2     26.0 0.9     27.5 0.9     29.4 0.9 17DEC2014     22.9 0.1     26.0 0.8     27.4 0.8     29.4 1.0 24DEC2014     23.1-0.2     26.0 0.7     27.3 0.7     29.3 0.9 31DEC2014     23.6 0.0     25.9 0.6     27.1 0.5     29.2 0.8

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/wksst8110.for

ughhhh...sadly, we can't expect any help from the "Nino" anytime soon

temps keep dropping, to be expected post Christmas

Nino1+2      Nino3        Nino34        Nino4
 Week          SST SSTA     SST SSTA     SST SSTA     SST SSTA
 26NOV2014     22.4 0.4     25.9 0.9     27.6 1.0     29.5 0.9
 03DEC2014     22.3 0.0     25.8 0.7     27.4 0.8     29.4 0.9
 10DEC2014     22.8 0.2     26.0 0.9     27.5 0.9     29.4 0.9
 17DEC2014     22.9 0.1     26.0 0.8     27.4 0.8     29.4 1.0
 24DEC2014     23.1-0.2     26.0 0.7     27.3 0.7     29.3 0.9
 31DEC2014     23.6 0.0     25.9 0.6     27.1 0.5     29.2 0.8
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/wksst8110.for
Will> Nino Lag /Will

gotta have a Nino before you get a Nino lag

we'll be lucky to get 3 tri-monthlies of .5C or greater at 3.4, and no way we get the required 5 for an official Nino

I happen to agree but we did have a Nino atmosphere for three weeks. Nino schemino has been my theme since last Marches calls for super Nino

I happen to agree but we did have a Nino atmosphere for three weeks. Nino schemino has been my theme since last Marches calls for super Nino

sadly, flashes of what might have been if there had been a real NINO

we should have known better though, as there haven't been any officials Ninos that formed so late as this year per link below except 58/59

58/59 was an official weak Nino that started a month later than this year, but that was beyond a dead ratter down here....can't imagine it was a whole lot better up your way

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ensoyears.shtml

Nino flopping may be the reason that the robust outlooks don't work out. It seems to have allowed last year's morning breath to linger. I thought that we'd fine listerine hidden away in the equatorial Pacific cabinet.

hopefully the split flow and a STJ make a comeback, certainly not throwing in the 90210 towel.

I'm just thinking out loud, but if I bust, I can see that being why. In all honesty, if you told me I had to have a r*tter, I'd pick this season, needing rides everywhere and all....

I haven't really looked at the models since right before the Thanksgiving storm.  If Monday's threat can become revived in the coming days, I may pay attention.  Didn't look too appealing verbatim on the 0z GFS tonight though.

I'm just thinking out loud, but if I bust, I can see that being why. In all honesty, if you told me I had to have a r*tter, I'd pick this season, needing rides everywhere and all....

probably right

the last year there was a Nino "barely" fail AND an east QBO was 79/80 (though QBO was closer to 0 than this year)

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ensoyears.shtml

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/correlation/qbo.data

euro ensembles pretty much the same general look. flow flattens out sometime around MLK day, maybe a cutter around the 20th +/- ....then alaska ridge really re-builds. similar strong look to the gefs for this (extended) time frame

Yeah nice trends on this run wrt bringing the epo back...no rest for the weary though with the nao flipping...pattern forcings would appear to be stepping away from the potential in that window.

PNA looks a lot better than this last cold shot. This would help give a better chance at a coastal rather than meat grinder systems between a SE ridge and PV to the north that has defined this current colder pattern. Sometimes the current pattern can produce juicy SWFEs but we didn't run in into one this time around.

Hopefully that PNA look holds.

Why is DT going off on the football shaped PV and an MJO that wont' go past Phase 6?  Last few posts in here sound pretty good.

More importantly, why is his space bar so sticky?

I do think he is gearing his negativity more towards the mid Atlantic / NYC, where they have virtually no shot with a AN pattern.

Keep in mind the better look is pretty far out. We are talking day 12-15.

yeah this is last week of January almost that we are looking at. it's pretty much a cool / cold stretch through the end of this upcoming week....then torch (to what extent, not sure, but looks mild)...then step back down from there. and of course, like we always seem to witness, it's rarely a perfect transition back. though later in the winter it can be less noticeable thanks to just climo in general. 

yeah this is last week of January almost that we are looking at. it's pretty much a cool / cold stretch through the end of this upcoming week....then torch (to what extent, not sure, but looks mild)...then step back down from there. and of course, like we always seem to witness, it's rarely a perfect transition back. though later in the winter it can be less noticeable thanks to just climo in general.

no where near anything considered a torch on the 18z GEFS ,my highest surface temp is 36, briefly

Just had to drop in to comment that yesterday/today/tomorrow is just classic for what you'd expect with a good -EPO but no help from the NAO and no meaningful help from the PNA.  Plenty of cold + nickle and dime events but no biggies.  Still, less of a gamble than a good -NAO alone or +PNA alone where it can be all or nothing. 

Looks to me like the -EPO will fall apart as the +PNA finally develops, then the +PNA diminishes as the NAO (possibly) improves.  Tough luck, but maybe you guys can get 2 out of 3 in phase by the end of the month. 

Archived