SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2015 Pattern Discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We get coastals all the time in progressive patterns with no blocking. The steepness of the west cost ridge is important, slow moving wound up coastals, no...we need some kind of blocking for that.

Not at all. Hey maybe I'm wrong. But I actually think I'm being realistic and not hanging onto something that looks like a stretch. If we get blocking everything changes.

I think this is wrong and I think you have been slowly almost imperceptively melting over the lat 2 days.

We have several components for costal storms and as Steve says all we need is good timing or a quasi block. I think it will happen and I think the pattern can support a coastal. Positive pna active southern jet strong baroclinity cold air source.

it hasn't been imperceptible,he gone,gone like a freight train,gone like yesterday,he gone and ain't never coming back

I knew what you meant. I just wanted to get this out in the open, as clear and unequivocal as possible.

To me, a dead ratter is usually one that has the big AK vortex with no hope. We don't have that this year right now. I don't expect to either. So, you'll always have opportunities when that isn't around. 

And we even had Tip waxing poetic about how it wasn't going to work out because the flow was too progressive and nothing was there to change it, lol.

one point I have been meaning to make. As a region we ain't seeing Feb 13 again for a very long time,in fact as a forum that might be a lifetime storm. Sure individual pockets of our forum might top it but as a whole,that was a pinnacle.

The pattern is loaded with cold, overhead and nearby,shi te happens when it's cold near the big pond.

one point I have been meaning to make. As a region we ain't seeing Feb 13 again for a very long time,in fact as a forum that might be a lifetime storm. Sure individual pockets of our forum might top it but as a whole,that was a pinnacle.

The pattern is loaded with cold, overhead and nearby,shi te happens when it's cold near the big pond.

If you mean a widespread 2-3' snowstorm, I agree, and I don't think anyone really thinks that we will.

But if you mean a [relatively] wound-up nor'easter in a pattern that previously wasn't producing coastals left and right, I think we see that pretty often.

Tropospheric forcing wise, for the first time this autumn / cold season, Nino-like tropical forcing will continue to increase over the next 1-2 weeks. Becoming more confident this will aid in tilting the scales toward the initiation of some height rises in the Atlantic and a -NAO period shortly after the onset of -AO conditions. The GFS ensembles might be rushing things Atlantic wise, but this is the type of progression we should see in late January. Massive change in heights if one compares the current maps (strong vortex / low heights dominating the Greenland / north atlantic region) to the progged conditions at D 15-16. Following the transient EPO collapse, heights should quickly recover.

8x28hi.png

Euro as one red tag said the other day is obsessed with cutters at the end of runs. Still a week plus out but II'm not feeling that storm. I think I like jan 5-10 as our flip, praise ullr.

In review

-clipper drops light snows on us this past week

-arctic squalls today bring in bone chilling cold today

-good 1-2" light snow event friday

-some models offering chance at light snow monday

-potential storm mid week

Pattern potentially offering up more threats starting mid next week. Everything is on schedule with this pattern flip. If it rains like the euro showed at 12z I would eat my hat.

Hints at the start of a -nao too. This is the best pattern we have started since winter has begun. Deep breaths.

In review

-clipper drops light snows on us this past week

-arctic squalls today bring in bone chilling cold today

-good 1-2" light snow event friday

-some models offering chance at light snow monday

-potential storm mid week

Pattern potentially offering up more threats starting mid next week. Everything is on schedule with this pattern flip. If it rains like the euro showed at 12z I would eat my hat.

Hints at the start of a -nao too. This is the best pattern we have started since winter has begun. Deep breaths.

I wouldn't find it that weird of it rained next week. I'd lean against it for now given that most guidance has decent confluence to the north, but we still have no downstream blocking. If more of the energy consolidated then a inland runner isn't impossible.

On the bright side, the EC ensembles have muted the MLK torch to almost a merely normal temp pattern. Maybe just barely above average.

Verbatim the chances should increase closer to the middle of the month, for something bigger than these wind thwacked passing squally days... 

Flows been on target for relaxation ...gradually, heading up to the ides of the month. But, I am not certain the -EPO is going away entirely.  That is good, but, if comes back as the atmospheric equivalent of Mt Everest ... that may not be so good. 

But the PNA should become more positive.  NCEP noted last week that the MJO was in "constructive" wave interference; which as I have outlined before is important for knowing which phase 7 MJO is more or less effective. It's complex... the gist of it is, the surrounding flow has to be in sync with the wave, or the wave's longer term correlation on pattern type is likelier to break down. And their update this week insinuates the same is occurring. So perhaps our MJO progged to enter the West Pac will mean help induce a paradigm shift in the Pac (+PNA).   I like this statement they make, "... An elevated threat for tropical cyclone development exists for some areas across the West Pacific and waters near northern Australia..."  You can kind of see how it fits together, if west Pac TC then curves into higher latitudes...  

The GEFs abruptly break the wave down entering Phase 7.  But the operational takes it robustly through... Not sure how dependable either is at D10 ... obviously likely not very.  

Anyway, not surprised this time if one of these 192 hour deals work out this time, as there are some 50,000 ft aspects that support better than in previous weeks of screaming buzz-saw SPV.

Well whatever ends up happening we'd better hope the next 10-14, days produce some sort of snow events . Otherwise golf courses will be opening

for whatever it's worth, i don't think most mets think things look bad to close out the month and then going forward, so i think that's a stretch. this isn't 11-12. 

everything shows the ridging building back into Alaska pretty quickly. 

Archived