12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Dec 29th/30th storm chance

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would a ridge in front of low pressure cause a SW to flatten out ?

The opposite should be true right. A SE ridge should buckle the trough and bend those isobars so the heights rise along the coast.

If the confluence is too strong it would flatten out the ridge

That's what the GFS thinks. The GGEM PARA and 12z euro ensembles disagree.

Guys think every model is gona show a snowstorm otherwise " it's over " . EC snowstorms never work that way.

My post was just observing Doormans GIF and the interaction of the se ridge with the pattern flow. Yeah, I'm a snow weenie but I think logically and rational. Please don't lump me in with all of the other guys, I wasn't even thinking about any storm... just the ridge and it's reaction.

My post was just observing Doormans GIF and the interaction of the se ridge with the pattern flow. Yeah, I'm a snow weenie but I think logically and rational. Please don't lump me in with all of the other guys, I wasn't even thinking about any storm... just the ridge and it's reaction.

He believed the flow would b fast and the confluence would crush the ridge.

I see the ridge. ( which with a neg epo ) I have always liked.

Today some models see it my way. Tomorrow they may see it his way .

The models tend to send systems off to our south during a Neg EPO with a ridge in the SE in the midrange for some reason .

This was the disco for last Feb 4th Post SB snow where temps were in the mid 50`s 36 hours prior to this event . You had a SE ridge and Neg EPO .There was a pressing cold front and a system in the Southern branch came NE along the Baroclinc zone that event that dropped 6 -8 inches of snow from Philly through Monmouth County .

4 days before many models had that system off to our S and E and up until 2 days prior some thought 1- 3 was the call .

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42642-feb-3rd-event/

This was the European ensemble 84 hour 500 mb for 2 -3 -2014 and this is the European ensemble 500 mb for Monday the 29th .

Not an exact match , but you can see why in a NEG EPO regime with a SE ridge you just can`t assume it`s suppressed .

post-7472-0-31986800-1419551841_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-69493100-1419551856_thumb.pn

This is the type of system that could trend more favorably the closer we get just like PB alluded to last years systems.

A lot of these minor to moderate snow events are picked up within a short time frame that's why you can't ever assume just because models show cold and dry for days means it'll verify that way.

Do you have any new information to add? Seems that you just restated what Paul just said. Which systems, specifically, trended more favorably last year as we got closer? Why, specifically, is it a possibility with this system coming up?

Um. Anyone want to comment on the GFS/Para?

GFS remains very suppressed. Develops a weak wave off the NC coast Monday night... didn't look at the para though. The lack of a -NAO is hurting our chances obviously and it seems the trough axis out west associated with the EPO block is a little too far west.

EDIT: It's probably more the PV being overbearing and flattening the flow along the east coast than the position of the western trough.

GFS remains very suppressed. Develops a weak wave off the NC coast Monday night... didn't look at the para though. The lack of a -NAO is hurting our chances obviously and it seems the trough axis out west associated with the EPO block is a little too far west.

gfs shows .25-.50 of precip area wise. way different than 18 z(precip wise)

Archived