e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Christmas Storm II

Cold Rain

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christmas Day...Mostly cloudy. Snow likely...mainly in the afternoon. Heavy snow accumulation possible. Near steady temperatures in the lower 30s. Chance of snow 60 percent.

Wow. Just....wow.

Awesome! I am hoping this works our for my area but we know how it usually goes :).

FWIW-----Just another forecaster's thoughts here. Watched JB's big dog and he is just not buying the euro (It's known for dragging southern systems) it's to slow with it, He said it's possible BUT not likely. thus He is still showing OV MA NE snowstorm.

Well then we are likely set, as he has been wrong many times over the past few years.

lol you have to love ffc. Their discussion is the worst of all the local offices and so is their forecast reasoning.

That said, I'm a little surprised to see some of the nws offices so bullish this early. The wording from gsp was particularly strong considering this is 4 to 5 days away. It's not something you see very often from them. We usually complain about them not being bullish enough but in this case I wonder if they are a little too bullish, especially for the upstate/ne ga. I know it's tempting with only the gfs saying no at this point but still..it's a long ways away still. Now watch me jinx us by saying as much :arrowhead:

FFC on the other hand is simply riding the gfs like a 2 dollar hooker as usual which is pure laziness and also not very sound. Nothing surprising from them.

You would think FFC would get tired of seeing gsp blow them out of the water all the time and making them look like amateurs on a near daily basis though.

I cannot understand why NC, AL and Rabun County all have a 60% chance and only 20 here? Looks like the last snow event forecast :arrowhead:!

If any... I think the reason GSP is throwing this out so heavy on Tuesday, might be due to the folks who are traveling this weekend. The general pop do not look that far out (weather wise) but I think those folks who do not, do during this season.

I could be dead wrong, but I thought their discussion was right along with what our great posters painted last night.

btw, hope you can post more man.....

lol you have to love ffc. Their discussion is the worst of all the local offices and so is their forecast reasoning.

That said, I'm a little surprised to see some of the nws offices so bullish this early. The wording from gsp was particularly strong considering this is 4 to 5 days away. It's not something you see very often from them. We usually complain about them not being bullish enough but in this case I wonder if they are a little too bullish, especially for the upstate/ne ga. I know it's tempting with only the gfs saying no at this point but still..it's a long ways away still. Now watch me jinx us by saying as much :arrowhead:

FFC on the other hand is simply riding the gfs like a 2 dollar hooker as usual which is pure laziness and also not very sound. Nothing surprising from them.

You would think FFC would get tired of seeing gsp blow them out of the water all the time and making them look like amateurs on a near daily basis though.

The NWS guys and many others have said the Euro is the best at these type systems: deep SW cut-off LP hugging the low line coming onshore through Texas.

So WTHeck is up with JB?

There are not nearly as many accucrap subscribers south of Richmond ;).

Well after catching up on 15 pages i have to say this storm has my attention. Already have snow in the forecast for sat. :snowman: I am still trotting to temper expectations until late tomorrow but we'll see how successful i am lol

If I bail on Christmas with the family to come back for snow i will be in trouble lol

It's raining lightly here this morning but comfortable above freezing of course

To be honest i am a little flabbergasted that the models aren't all over the place this far out.

The NWS guys and many others have said the Euro is the best at these type systems: deep SW cut-off LP hugging the low line coming onshore through Texas.

So WTHeck is up with JB?

There's something else funny about your JB statement. Didn't he say that NC would have a white Christmas this year? Then he contradicts himself to make the NE love him? No really though, the Euro is ending up being the favorite because of past storms/climo.

So WTHeck is up with JB?

The double barrel low system that BMX discusses is pretty much dead on. They seem to have a good handle on things. I have a few thoughts as to why JB would continue the northern path into "his area" *cough* subscribers. But I shall keep them to myself. :whistle:

GSP is going all out!!

Friday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Christmas Day: Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday Night: Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday: A chance of snow. Mostly sunny, with a high near 27. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 17.

There's something else funny about your JB statement. Didn't he say that NC would have a white Christmas this year? Then he contradicts himself to make the NE love him? No really though, the Euro is ending up being the favorite because of past storms/climo.

he will work it in his forecast, he is just covering his tracks. if the storm happens his northeast will get snow then he will say it went further south than he thought therefore southeast got a white Christmasthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Most of the foreign modeling continues to look good for snow fans for much of the region. In fact, I would imagine most snow lovers would take the 0z run of the GEM or Euro and run with it.

We really are attempting to thread the needle here. Two disturbances, their interaction, and the timing of that interaction are the key variables here. If they phase too quickly, you get the GFS....if they phase too slowly, you get the UKMET. If Goldilocks finds the porridge she likes, we get the 0z Euro or GEM.

I am still leaning my forecast in the direction of the GEM and Euro. Until I see a chink in their armor, I see no reason to change. But just remember we are walking the tight-rope here.

If have put up a full blog post and my morning video here on my site.

By the way, here is the data from my 7-day on-air today for the Triad.

Very good blog Matthew!! Love the model breakdowns...keep up the good work!:thumbsup:

I feel the same way, I don't see how he can't buy the euro with the support it has ? It's not like it's out there alone.

The thing is JB is right enough to be dangerous just like the GFS !:unsure:

you are so right and that is the scary part. Like I have said I am waiting until thursday to really get excited. I am preparing trucks for the storm but trying not to get excited to be let down on friday

If any... I think the reason GSP is throwing this out so heavy on Tuesday, might be due to the folks who are traveling this weekend. The general pop do not look that far out (weather wise) but I think those folks who do not, do during this season.

I could be dead wrong, but I thought their discussion was right along with what our great posters painted last night.

btw, hope you can post more man.....

That crossed my mind but holidays have never seem to make them more bullish before. I've always thought it was a good idea to be more bullish around the holidays because you don't want people caught off guard and risking their lives. But being 4 to 5 days out is really pushing it. And I can't think of a single time gsp or any other southeast office was being that bullish so far in advance.

What has been pointed out by mets on a number of occassions over the years is that there is a BIG difference between us talking about this on a weather board and an actual nws being bullish..even in light of good model support. Their forecast goes out to everyone and will effect everyone from schools, cops, emergency personal, business, etc and many places actually spend money in preperation for a winter storm so if they get it wrong they will lose that money. That's a pretty big burden on the nws to be right about it.

Now, if the winter storm is within a day or two and there is overwhelming model support (and common sense) supporting a major event, I don't understand why some choose to ignore the reality of the situation and not be bullish (like FFC). But being 4 or 5 days away is different, That is a really long time for a lot to change.

The inner weenie in me is thrilled to see them be that bullish, don't get me wrong, but it does surprise the rational side of me.

Archived