Newest Member
    christians
Christmas Storm II

Cold Rain

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KCAE:

I feel for them though. Even though they are leaving the discussion dark and not even mentioning the other models other than GFS, I think I understand where they're coming from this far South on Christmas, lol.

I bet we'll have to wait up to 24 hours of the models showing something substantial for them to start biting! lol :rolleyes: But, guess with our luck on winter wx events, they have a reason to hold off things until it's a LOCK.

Got a quick question for those of you that have Euro access - I saw during last night's disco where the QPF amounts were put up for some areas; does anyone have that info from the 0Z for RWI and PGV? I'm not altogether certain that it's even frozen precipitation that far to the eastern part of the state, and I know QPF is certainly not set in stone (especially this far out), but I am curious about it. Thanks :snowman:

Sounds good man.

I agree that 4.5 days out is a little much. But I guess they feel like they need to put this out. Or some jack screwed it up.

That crossed my mind but holidays have never seem to make them more bullish before. I've always thought it was a good idea to be more bullish around the holidays because you don't want people caught off guard and risking their lives. But being 4 to 5 days out is really pushing it. And I can't think of a single time gsp or any other southeast office was being that bullish so far in advance.

What has been pointed out by mets on a number of occassions over the years is that there is a BIG difference between us talking about this on a weather board and an actual nws being bullish..even in light of good model support. Their forecast goes out to everyone and will effect everyone from schools, cops, emergency personal, business, etc and many places actually spend money in preperation for a winter storm so if they get it wrong they will lose that money. That's a pretty big burden on the nws to be right about it.

Now, if the winter storm is within a day or two and there is overwhelming model support (and common sense) supporting a major event, I don't understand why some choose to ignore the reality of the situation and not be bullish (like FFC). But being 4 or 5 days away is different, That is a really long time for a lot to change.

The inner weenie in me is thrilled to see them be that bullish, don't get me wrong, but it does surprise the rational side of me.

I bet we'll have to wait up to 24 hours of the models showing something substantial for them to start biting! lol :rolleyes: But, guess with our luck on winter wx events, they have a reason to hold off things until it's a LOCK.

I didn't understand why they even said snow/freezing rain was going to happen here last storm. They jumped the gun bad on that one causing the local mets to do the same. Down here, a white Christmas is considered a myth. I think they're gonna hold off really mentioning much from fear of destroying little kids hearts and busting, cause hysteria to stock up at the grocery store, and messing other's plans up. Then on the flip side of that other than the kids, the same points are going to be used against them if they don't forecast it soon enough. Thankfully, it's only Tuesday for our local office and I am SURE they are already or going to collaborate with KGSP since they have way more experience with anything like this. I've noticed they have just left the extended forecast discussion unchanged since yesterday now.

I just watched his video. He said he believes it will be more of a compromise between the euro and gfs. So that's the cmc right? Sounds good to me.

That's right, But why don't he even mention the se snow possibilty ? He just draws that circle up north of us in the OV for snow ?

I hope the son-of-a-gun :gun_bandana: is wrong. lol

I wonder if they run the news at Midday on Friday (Christmas Eve) and everything is looking like a lock for us if Joe Pinner is going to be on there. Man, that guy is OBSESSED with snow.

Are the models showing snow for us? I am on my phone. Can't read maps.

Archived