• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

Yes, the x-mas storm as a massive cutter will certainly help the -NAO, but it could just be a transient feature.

ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Public/gbates/reforecast2/teleconn/4panel.png

Not to say this is correct or not, but it has really been hard the past few years to get a persistent -NAO. So it will certainly be interesting to see whether or not the x-mas storm can really trigger something there.

Agree but I will take a neg EPO AO with an open ST wave train cutting under all that confluence.

All that cross polar flow will allow arctic air to sink to the base of the trough. So our 2 m temps will b colder than what they will look like at 500

True without a neg NAO you miss the big bombs but Dec and Jan last yr did well ( although I think we block this time).

Last time I saw a deep cut off like this around xmas was Dec 02. This one will turn over like that one did but

02 03 is a great analog yr. And that jan and Feb worked out well.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LaGuardia Field & Newark appear to be neck & neck in the turtle race...

Seasonal Snowfall 2014-15 Winter

As of 6:00 PM December 17th, 2014

LaGuardia Airport: 1.7"

Newark Airport: 1.7"

Central Park: 1.2"

Bridgeport: 0.9"

Islip MacArthur Airport: 0.4"

JFK Airport: 0.4"

NWS Upton / BNL: 0.3"

Wow that is pretty surprising. Several of those days actually. 4.7" high on one of the last days of the month also seems very low. There are many records just waiting to be broken

If past history is any indicator, we may be waiting a while...lol.

Wow that is pretty surprising. Several of those days actually. 4.7" high on one of the last days of the month also seems very low. There are many records just waiting to be broken

Jan. 5th snowfalls...

amount year............depth...

3.0" in 1883..........13" in 1948

2.4" in 1893 est....12" in 1877

2.0" in 1980..........10" in 2001

1.8" in 2001............9" in 1925

1.5" in 1985............8" in 1904 

one of the analogs I've seen being used for the upcoming winter(and yes it is still upcoming) is 1977-78.  So seeing the Ohio Valley/Lakes bomb being advertised on the models immediately reminds me of what happened about 9 days later in 78. Can we get a 50/50 low and some ridging in Greenland out of the Lakes bomb?  That could set us up nicely for some fun and games around here..  Of course we can get snow without it, but the 50/50 is so important in locking in HP in the sweet spot. we all know that's what we need to maintain an all snow event along the coast.  The next couple of weeks will be interesting despite what the models are showing right now.

I noticed the weenies are getting unhinged now and I don't see why. The indices continue to look very favorable post Xmas. Why do they all assume the Euro is correct in the LR. The models will continue to flip until reality strikes.

There's nothing that points to this winter being a disaster.

euro long range has been erractic

I noticed the weenies are getting unhinged now and I don't see why. The indices continue to look very favorable post Xmas. Why do they all assume the Euro is correct in the LR. The models will continue to flip until reality strikes.

There's nothing that points to this winter being a disaster.

Your best work yet.

Except for the euro LR this is the only time it's showed a neg EPO AO. So it's going to be right

lol keep getting my posts deleted wen all i did was express some frustration with how this december is going and then not even getting told why? smh the mods on this forum are the reason it is how it is

Because they are trying to clean up the discussion threads.  Post your frustrations in this banter thread.

lol keep getting my posts deleted wen all i did was express some frustration with how this december is going and then not even getting told why? smh the mods on this forum are the reason it is how it is

Actually no, it's IMBY posts and emotional posts that are the issue - They tend to just lead to flare-ups.  I suspect that your posts fell into one of those two (or even both) catgeories.

Actually no, it's IMBY posts and emotional posts that are the issue - They tend to just lead to flare-ups.  I suspect that your posts fell into one of those two (or even both) catgeories.

all i said was its frustrating that im probably gunna be going into january with under an inch of snow and a bunch of rainstorms...that is not emotional nor is it anywhere close to an IMBY post

all i said was its frustrating that im probably gunna be going into january with under an inch of snow and a bunch of rainstorms...that is not emotional nor is it anywhere close to an IMBY post

" im probably gunna be going into january with under an inch of snow and a bunch of rainstorms"

That sounds pretty IMBY to be honest.. Not trying to give you a hard time.. Like others said, just post your thoughts like this in the banter thread and you'll be fine.

" im probably gunna be going into january with under an inch of snow and a bunch of rainstorms"

That sounds pretty IMBY to be honest.. Not trying to give you a hard time.. Like others said, just post your thoughts like this in the banter thread and you'll be fine.

no an annoying IMBY is when someone asks how much snow there getting...seriously stop u sound uneducated

Because they are trying to clean up the discussion threads.  Post your frustrations in this banter thread.

See above

Archived