SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should seriously start a thread specifically dedicated to worrying about what is going to screw up our winter. That way we can track the assault of winter on various fronts like: strengthening strat PVs, rising solar flux, basin-wide Niño, cooling of water off the Pacific coast, the anchoring of the GOA low, the resistance of the MJO to enter Phases 7-1, etc....so that we can plot winter's eventual and inevitable demise.

Can you imagine is we get a +AO this winter. Would completely undermine the whole SCE/SAI theory. I don't think it will happen, just food for thought.

like I've said before, Blame the November cold. It got everyone's my expectations to unrealistic levels

I almost wish the November cold never happened.

I'm with CR, I'll take cold weather whenever I can get it.  No matter the month or season.

Oh, and I fixed your post.  It's a little dangerous to draw sweeping conclusions about the entire population based on a single data point of information.

Good point.  I'm firmly in the camp holding to models being pretty much useless beyond 5+ days, so winter forecasts are inherently quite difficult to nail down with lots of room for error.

Come on, Calc.  You know you're expecting 20"+ of snow this year just like me.  All-in with the 1986-1987 analog.  There's no turning back now.  December to Remember.  Rockin' January.  Fab February.  Marvelous March.  Amazing April.  :guitar:

like I've said before, Blame the November cold. It got everyone's expectations to unrealistic levels

I almost wish the November cold never happened.

Did it? Because I could have sworn I read a lot of talk/discussions of December being warm to start off WEEKS ago. The only person who must of had unrealistic expectations about December being wall to wall cold was you.

Did it? Because I could have sworn I read a lot of talk/discussions of December being warm to start off WEEKS ago. The only person who must of had unrealistic expectations about December being wall to wall cold was you.

I never expected wall to wall cold in December,but I didn't expect that the warmth would last as long as many are now saying it might. And I certainly wasn't expecting wall to wall warmth in December, which seems more possible now than it did a few weeks ago.

Come on, Calc.  You know you're expecting 20"+ of snow this year just like me.  All-in with the 1986-1987 analog.  There's no turning back now.  December to Remember.  Rockin' January.  Fab February.  Marvelous March.  Amazing April.  :guitar:

Oh, very much so.  I would expect no less.  But I expect that every year, no matter what the long-range forecasts say.  :D

I never expected wall to wall cold in December,but I didn't expect that the warmth would last as long as many are now saying it might. And I certainly wasn't expecting wall to wall warmth in December, which seems more possible now than it did a few weeks ago.

I won't say all, but I think many expected December to be a wild card month. It could go either way when all is said and done. If December ends up warm overall, it won't be a big loss. It's not like December is a very snowy month around here. Outside of 2010, I can't remember a December in recent years that was snowy.

I won't say all, but I think many expected December to be a wild card month. It could go either way when all is said and done. If December ends up warm overall, it won't be a big loss. It's not like December is a very snowy month around here. Outside of 2010, I can't remember a December in recent years that was snowy.

December 2000 was pretty snowy and so was December 1997, but then again those weren't very recent. December 2001 was almost snowy, had that January 2002 storm occurred a couple of days earlier lol ( although we were tracking that snow in December so maybe that counts). There was also an ice event in December 2002, or maybe that was the one that ended up busting. I do remember having flurries on Christmas Day in 2003.

I mean...I get it.

Sometimes people just need to rant and I'm okay with that.

What I don't get is people's sudden amnesia when it comes to December. I don't remember a single December without some days in the 70's. I'll admit that I don't really know the intricacies of GA weather, so maybe it really does feel like hell.

Either way, there's nothing implying a warm winter. Nothing.

Everything in Ga. is normal, and doing fine.  No torch, no end to winter, no nothing but normal Dec. like weather.   Scary stuff to younger people, just looks normal to old people.  It's all a matter of perspective :)  Probably won't snow this winter, but then it probably won't snow most winters, lol.  But it might...won't be because of, or in spite of it being 80 on Xmas day, or in the 30's, and I've seen both a few times.  The week after Xmas is when the ball starts rolling around here.  CR's Xmas snow had never happened before...and that's normal Dec. weather :)  In fact December is the official US Department of Inclement Weather's Not Happening Month. T

Everything in Ga. is normal, and doing fine. No torch, no end to winter, no nothing but normal Dec. like weather. Scary stuff to younger people, just looks normal to old people. It's all a matter of perspective :) Probably won't snow this winter, but then it probably won't snow most winters, lol. But it might...won't be because of, or in spite of it being 80 on Xmas day, or in the 30's, and I've seen both a few times. The week after Xmas is when the ball starts rolling around here. CR's Xmas snow had never happened before...and that's normal Dec. weather :) In fact December is the official US Department of Inclement Weather's Not Happening Month. T

Tony, you are the best. I absolutely love your posts. You always have a way of saying things that makes me feel a little better.

GFS and its ensembles look like crap on 06z. At 240 hours,it's torch city for most of the US and no end in sight. If this is the pattern, the ridge out west will set up too far east and it's game over for all of the midwest and points east except for maybe NE or Maine. Euro mainly agrees, too.

This is very bad. Very, very bad. No cold air on this side of the northern hemisphere...

GFS and its ensembles look like crap on 06z. At 240 hours,it's torch city for most of the US and no end in sight. If this is the pattern, the ridge out west will set up too far east and it's game over for all of the midwest and points east except for maybe NE or Maine. Euro mainly agrees, too.

This is very bad. Very, very bad. No cold air on this side of the northern hemisphere...

I'm optimistic for this winter, but I agree that both the 0z and 6z runs looked baaaaaad.

But it is December 2 so not too worried for January.

Maybe we could launch a hotdog exchange program with other forums this winter.

Haha!  Interesting idea.  Do we have to provide host families or are they allowed to live on their own?  Hmmm...  Which subforum would we most want to have visiting hotdogs from?  I think I would vote for Central/Western States.

Perhaps a visiting professorship program is a better idea...

Archived