2014/15 Winter Banter and General Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'57-'58:

ORH: 97.5"

Ashburnham: 114.2"

Nashua: 75.8" (some missing data though, so likely >80")

CON: 67.0" (this number actually surprised me a bit)

Groton, MA coop (west of Lowell): 80.2" with a bit of missing data

nice, yea figured with that many storms it was. ORH to Maine deform special. Seems like many a wet winter those places score. Just enough warm air close to the coast, until Mid Feb. All the more reason to embrace Arctic blasts early in the season even if dry on the coast, eventually the ocean becomes less of a factor.

The old ORH coop actually had 98.8" that winter...more than the airport. That was one of the final years of the ORH coop that went back to the 1890s...but the official snowfall had moved to the airport by that point (in 1947-1948 winter it did)

I hate airports, hate even more they don't keep depths anymore. No one lives there anyways. Logan is a joke,Like PVD, totally unrepresentative of the city, cripes PVD is not even in Providence yet annual snow gets MSM as Providence. My son lives on the border of Pawtucket and Providence at elevation, they get some good snows, often twice what Green Airport reports, hate airports

'57-'58:

ORH: 97.5"

Ashburnham: 114.2"

Nashua: 75.8" (some missing data though, so likely >80")

CON: 67.0" (this number actually surprised me a bit)

Groton, MA coop (west of Lowell): 80.2" with a bit of missing data

63.2" at Reading COOP...I may have been closer to 70" here at the west tip of Wilmington, since there seems to have been a real marine stratification to the snowfall gradient that season.

25/14. Lowest DP in weeks. lol

Went out to MASS MOCA (N Adams) today to meet friends and walk the galleries. Savoy/Florida pass still had decent snow cover but that was it, bare ground everywhere else. Got some flurries so weenied out over that. Take what you can get.

Congrats Pete, his pics are surprisingly snowy, yes with dates and times lol

I can picture that winter living on the CP near the ocean, torrents of rain either front end SWFE or back end ULL type stuff, an inch or so all winter OTG then boom the KU but although I'd take it, no thanks on all the wash outs. Going to check to see how CON etc did,seems like N pike did well

Of course I was west of NYC in New Jersey but I remember 1957-58 as a rockin winter. I suspect brookline was similar. BOS is a bad place to take a major city's data. NYC at least uses Central Park in mid Manhattan. Los Angeles uses the civic center muting marine influence and better representing the populatin distribution. Boston sucks that way. They should use kenmore square ...say Fenway park IMHO.

Of course I was west of NYC in New Jersey but I remember 1957-58 as a rockin winter. I suspect brookline was similar. BOS is a bad place to take a major city's data. NYC at least uses Central Park in mid Manhattan. Los Angeles uses the civic center muting marine influence and better representing the populatin distribution. Boston sucks that way. They should use kenmore square ...say Fenway park IMHO.

agree but after looking at all the data all the coast sucked, west of the 95 corridor was much better,west of 128.more west of 495 at elevation JP

But cutting doesn't mean mild rains to Maine..it means snow to mix etc... while you stay all snow..I guess my point it when you cut a storm into the lakes with pressing cold..you don't just assume it's rain

holy congrats Dendrite on the GFS, secondary south of LI too. Nice run even dumps a six pack on me prior to rain

Congrats NNE but as modeled pretty good dump to start here. Top off with some freezing rain to end and lock in a snow pack.

Managed a 16.5/7 here.  In the world of winter, not crazy cold, but on the heels of the past couple of weeks though, it's a might chilly. 

Hopefully we'll get some true cold in on the heels of the storm with (hopefully) some snow on the ground.  That would help cool things smartly.

vodka cold backside, these are anomalies, when you get that kind of 850 anomaly in Jan that is vodka cold

Archived