EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
2014/15 Winter Banter and General Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And then the new GFS is completely different. The comparisons at H5 between the 18z GFS and 00z GFS are pretty obvious with the 00z run being much slower to eject.

To be honest I'm not crazy about the parallel GFS being so wildly different than the operational run so often. I'm surprised to see the differences being so large.

To be honest I'm not crazy about the parallel GFS being so wildly different than the operational run so often. I'm surprised to see the differences being so large.

I mean I guess 6 days out or whatever in this setup is probably a good pattern for these differences to show, but yeah they are stark.

I mean I guess 6 days out or whatever in this setup is probably a good pattern for these differences to show, but yeah they are stark.

Yup - and it's happening wayyyy too often. Almost every storm that has been modeled in the D3-D7 time frame has been wildly different on op and parallel GFS. 

It's definitely borderline irrelevant, I just find the differences interesting. I also think it shows you not to latch on a specific outcome, so maybe it's a learning lesson for some.

Only thing it's useful for is illustrating just how low confidence this setup is. Very low predictability given the modeled setup. 

I'll check back in on Wednesday lol

Meh, the 12z runs were a break in continuity.  Sniffed of bad data assimilation, actually.

Ironically, I thought the flatter appeal made more sense ... possibly en route to just squashing that thing out entirely. Then this run reverts. I wonder if the runs are maintaining too much strength regardless of west or south translation. 

Look, we are closing off a 594DM circumvallate over the Bahamas.  594!  With deeper heights pressing into lower Canada at that same time, that's waaay too much gradient for the 12Z solutions to maintain that impulse integrity. That impulse (vestigial closed low opening up) would seem more likely to dampen.  

Archived