• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Eve SECS/MECS Discussion II

gkrangers

Wet-bulb temps are higher near the coast. We need some precip drag to get surface temps colder

2envtkk.jpg

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1956   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1050 AM CST WED NOV 26 2014   AREAS AFFECTED...PARTS OF ERN PA...SERN NY...FAR NWRN NJ...NWRN   CT...WRN AND CENTRAL MA...SRN VT AND SRN NH   CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW    VALID 261650Z - 262115Z   SUMMARY...HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES /AT LEAST 1 INCH PER HOUR/ ARE   EXPECTED TO PERSIST WITHIN A 70-90 MILE WIDE CORRIDOR FROM ERN PA   THROUGH SERN NY TO WRN/CENTRAL MA AND DEVELOP INTO SRN VT/NH THIS   AFTERNOON.   DISCUSSION...TRENDS IN SURFACE OBSERVATIONS INDICATED RAPID COOLING   HAS ALREADY OCCURRED FROM NERN PA TO WRN MA...LIKELY DUE TO WET-BULB   EFFECTS AND THE DEVELOPMENT OF HEAVY PRECIPITATION RATES FROM SW-NE.    SURFACE WET-BULB TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO FALL TO AT OR BELOW   32 ACROSS THE REST OF CENTRAL MA AND SRN NH THIS AFTERNOON.   FORCING FOR ASCENT WILL INCREASE FROM SW-NE ACROSS THE DISCUSSION   AREA ALONG THE TRACK OF A SHORTWAVE TROUGH EJECTING NEWD FROM THE   SRN APPALACHIANS.  FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUGGEST STRONG UVVS SHOULD   OCCUR WITHIN THE DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE...WHILE FURTHER ENHANCEMENT   TO SNOWFALL RATES MAY RESULT FROM AGGREGATE PROCESSES WITHIN AN   ISOTHERMAL LAYER AT LOW LEVELS.   ..PETERS.. 11/26/2014   ATTN...WFO...GYX...BOX...BTV...OKX...ALY...PHI...BGM...CTP...   LWX...   LAT...LON   40687528 39777645 39707692 39847738 40287740 41197692               42197586 42547514 43397299 43887097 42927151 42437190               42087280 41477394 40687528 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its been a wide variety of things falling here on the very end of long island aka suffolk county aka northern most part of long island basically, but temperature been falling constantly today, down to 37.5°F    raining, sleeting and snowing basically all at once, winds are starting to pick up with wind advisory going into effect in 2 hours.. 

looking ahead, for a moment, the dreaded, accuweather winter forecast they put out recently saying slow and milder December i find hard to believe but we shall see!!

Wet-bulb temps are higher near the coast. We need some precip drag to get surface temps colder

2envtkk.jpg

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1956   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1050 AM CST WED NOV 26 2014   AREAS AFFECTED...PARTS OF ERN PA...SERN NY...FAR NWRN NJ...NWRN   CT...WRN AND CENTRAL MA...SRN VT AND SRN NH   CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW    VALID 261650Z - 262115Z   SUMMARY...HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES /AT LEAST 1 INCH PER HOUR/ ARE   EXPECTED TO PERSIST WITHIN A 70-90 MILE WIDE CORRIDOR FROM ERN PA   THROUGH SERN NY TO WRN/CENTRAL MA AND DEVELOP INTO SRN VT/NH THIS   AFTERNOON.   DISCUSSION...TRENDS IN SURFACE OBSERVATIONS INDICATED RAPID COOLING   HAS ALREADY OCCURRED FROM NERN PA TO WRN MA...LIKELY DUE TO WET-BULB   EFFECTS AND THE DEVELOPMENT OF HEAVY PRECIPITATION RATES FROM SW-NE.    SURFACE WET-BULB TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO FALL TO AT OR BELOW   32 ACROSS THE REST OF CENTRAL MA AND SRN NH THIS AFTERNOON.   FORCING FOR ASCENT WILL INCREASE FROM SW-NE ACROSS THE DISCUSSION   AREA ALONG THE TRACK OF A SHORTWAVE TROUGH EJECTING NEWD FROM THE   SRN APPALACHIANS.  FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUGGEST STRONG UVVS SHOULD   OCCUR WITHIN THE DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE...WHILE FURTHER ENHANCEMENT   TO SNOWFALL RATES MAY RESULT FROM AGGREGATE PROCESSES WITHIN AN   ISOTHERMAL LAYER AT LOW LEVELS.   ..PETERS.. 11/26/2014   ATTN...WFO...GYX...BOX...BTV...OKX...ALY...PHI...BGM...CTP...   LWX...   LAT...LON   40687528 39777645 39707692 39847738 40287740 41197692               42197586 42547514 43397299 43887097 42927151 42437190               42087280 41477394 40687528 

What's your temp bro?

I'm down to 33.5

I am feeling sorry for everyone on the forums.  I know we are all hoping for lots of snow but it aint happenin with this one for most of us.  Let's keep climo and all of this in poerspective.  Any accumulations today for most will be a bonus.  The reality is that we are in a pattern right now that if it holds, we will all probably be sick of snow by the end of winter.  Good luck folks, Im signing off so I can get things done.  

I am feeling sorry for everyone on the forums.  I know we are all hoping for lots of snow but it aint happenin with this one for most of us.  Let's keep climo and all of this in poerspective.  Any accumulations today for most will be a bonus.  The reality is that we are in a pattern right now that if it holds, we will all probably be sick of snow by the end of winter.  Good luck folks, Im signing off so I can get things done.  

The coast isn't going to see a lot of snow because of the climo. If the storm took a little better track and more cold air to work with, this would have been a snowstorm for the coast. The pattern will get milder coming up but that should be brief .

Joe cioffi thinks Long Island may flip over to snow for a short time. I'm not buying it yet but well see.

and Steve D. They think NYC will flip over as it pivots.

Yeah, that's the beginning of the 700 mb warming. It looks like it may eventually stall out right on or

just a few miles west of Hudson later before moving back east this evening.

Archived