• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
December Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

My biggest takeaway is there is probably going to be some chances coming up here. This pattern is going to cause problems with the models. I'm sure it will look completely different next run, but the idea is there.

Now if we produce snow or not, who knows. This period will without a doubt be the best chance so far though

I'm mean there's no doubt there will be some snow in the area over the course of the winter...best window is usually that 40 day period between 10 January and 20 February.  NYC is no great snow town...but its a pretty rare winter that sees basically nothing. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as quickly as one model giveth another taketh away.

I don't pay too much attention to the models until at least two of the more reputable ones show something inside about 72 hours...maybe inside 96 when its a favorable time of the year for snow and odds are a bit better...this saves one from considerable aggravation. 

as quickly as one model giveth another taketh away.

You knew that 0z Euro run was overdone. Our best hope is that the more progressive 12z can

catch us with some white stuff as sheared out pieces of energy eject our south. Some light snow

would be better than nothing for our December totals. But relying on progressive -EPO patterns

can be hit or miss for a light or even moderate event. 

Some light snow would be better than nothing for our December totals.

Soo true...if Central Park can record 1.0 more inches of snow before midnight on the 31st, my forecast of 2 inches total for the month for the Park will be just perfect!

For those still interested in a simple numerical number to follow on whether or how close we are getting to an Artic air breakout:

Latest GFSx  still has a pretty positive anomaly for the next 7 days of +4.6degs. but steady progress is being made from the +12degs a few days ago.   However, while below normal Highs are indicated, it is yet to signal a below normal Low temp. within its purview.  Stay tuned.

For those still interested in a simple numerical number to follow on whether or how close we are getting to an Artic air breakout:

Latest GFSx  still has a pretty positive anomaly for the next 7 days of +4.6degs. but steady progress is being made from the +12degs a few days ago.   However, while below normal Highs are indicated, it is yet to signal a below normal Low temp. within its purview.  Stay tuned.

6z GFS ensembles show -2 C for the 5 day period starting the 29 thru the 3rd . Whatever you are seeing on the front end will be gone on the back end .  And we stay below normal through the 11th .

Moral of the story wave goodbye to the warmth after the 28th for 2 weeks . After that probably too far to see within reason.

post-7472-0-30303000-1419601424_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-38267600-1419601437_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-12962200-1419601780_thumb.pn

6z GFS ensembles show -2 C for the 5 day period starting the 29 thru the 3rd . Whatever you are seeing on the front end will be gone on the back end . And we stay below normal through the 11th .

Moral of the story wave goodbye to the warmth after the 28th for 2 weeks . After that probably too far to see within reason.

Hugging the American guidance I see?

The Euro says welcome back SE Ridge post 168 hours. So essentially we average near to just slightly below normal for the 12/30-1/3 period then we head into a gradient pattern where we could very well end up on the warm side if the Euro is seeing the SE Ridge properly.

And yes, I'm siding with the Euro over the US guidance right now.....the GEFS and GFS have been giving fits and flopping around every run.

Just another pattern change put on hold it appears.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_11.png

Very difficult time for forecasters since the models are having major problems in this type of pattern .......as has been demonstrated by  the 15th - 31st pattern change bust that was advertised to have us  shoveling snow by now with below normal temps..........NYC is going to end up close to 3 degrees above normal by the end of the month - much of that caused by the much above normal temps the last few days to continue through the weekend - snowfall as of right now would be well below normal with 1 inch BUT there is still a chance that we could end up with normal snowfall for the month because a few models are still showing a chance of snow at some point  next week but as previously  mentioned they have been unreliable.........

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.cdus41.NYC.KOKX.html

The Euro says welcome back SE Ridge post 168 hours. So essentially we average near to just slightly below normal for the 12/30-1/3 period then we head into a gradient pattern where we could very well end up on the warm side if the Euro is seeing the SE Ridge properly.

And yes, I'm siding with the Euro over the US guidance right now.....the GEFS and GFS have been giving fits and flopping around every run.

FWIW The Euro has not been any better. None of the models have been worth anything past 3-4 days out since November.

Around normal is more than good enough for the interior just philly and nyc will have problems and maybe nearby suburbs, but too cold can lead to suppression so it's an ok pattern.

What are you looking at ?  168 - Day 12- Day 15 . Pattern on hold ?

post-7472-0-98727400-1419606346_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-91781600-1419606360_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-05396800-1419606369_thumb.pn

Look I hope u nailed it. Im not trying to take anything away from you. I actually had the same dates as a pattern change with a few snow threats but I am throwing in the towel based on recent guidance trends. I know there are still a few holding onto the big change but I am seeing a trend here away from the major change. We'll see what happens though. Happy holidays!

The 12Z GFSx is down to an anomaly of +4.1degs.  and now shows a sub-normal low for a change.   Take out Sat & Sun and we are right at normal for latter 5 days of the 7.   Tally Ho!

It's still so odd that late November felt so much colder than this entire month. There was no day this month where it ever felt really cold out unlike November where a few days felt like January.

Did we have a colder lows in November than December. We must have.

Yes (so far)

Newark:

Nov lowest :21  (11/19)

Dec lowest: 23 (12/8)

NYC:

Nov lowest :  22 (12/19)

Dec lowest: 24 (12/8)

Archived