Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread I

LithiaWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A -PNA might not be horrible if there is arctic air involved.  Means the country will see the cold SPREAD out vs just a sharp cold dump into the east.  IA -PNA to slightly +PNA will be better for storm chances.  YES, its not an overpowering cold shot, but do we really want a Cold NW flow the entire time that is dry as a bone?  I don't.  The cold is very close by, and it won't take much to get that in here with a storm.  

A -PNA might not be horrible if there is arctic air involved. Means the country will see the cold SPREAD out vs just a sharp cold dump into the east. IA -PNA to slightly +PNA will be better for storm chances. YES, its not an overpowering cold shot, but do we really want a Cold NW flow the entire time that is dry as a bone? I don't. The cold is very close by, and it won't take much to get that in here with a storm.

this! And with a -epo/ao/nao there will be plenty of arctic air.

When it comes to the pattern change, the OPS are becoming obviously even more useless. A bit worrisome about the Euro EPS though.. the GEFS, GGEM have been pretty steady compared. Not sure about any of this Christmas weather anymore lol.

I usually always go with the eps buy they have been pretty bad for the last week.

I usually always go with the eps buy they have been pretty bad for the last week.

Lets just hope they aren't eventually right. (total weenie comment).

I've been looking over the EPS individual members for the past week and none of them have really showed any snow on their output.  Usually, you have at least one or two with trace amounts around KCAE, GSP, ATL, but really nothing so far...they're really just plain warm.

Not always the best thing for 51 "model runs" to be so content on no Winter down this way.

Edit, talking about the Deep South.. some parts of NC, NE GA had some pretty good runs at times.

HM likes it for at least portions of the east

https://twitter.com/antmasiello/status/545981676766392320

I guess I don't understand the negativity. It's a very good "look" at 500 for a bunch of people on this forum.  

Let's see what the ensembles say, but I'd take this OP look around hour 204-240 all day long (and twice on Sunday) if I lived in the southeast.  

Update on the PNA...in a last teleconnecitons or pattern post I mentioned it was going to go negative just not sure how long, well it appears most models are figuring it out now and that it will head neutral somewhere after the 26th and back positive by Jan. So to mean, it doesn't appear we'll be locked into a -PNA pattern. With the -EPO pretty much a lock, and a -AO, as well as a -NAO, I'm not sure that's ever happened at least since I've been following weather for the past 6 years. Maybe it has, but I'm loving it for January. The Euro Weeklies are simply wrong showing that torch, I expect a complete flip come Tuesday.

Also, didn't include GEFS as Southern Track already spoke on them (plus they're buggy on WxBell :) )

GFS PARA (regular GFS looks the exact same)

L9ELVJc.png

EURO 00z step in the right direction

tlSkeK3.png

EURO 00z EPS Mean is telling

iftqkOP.png

EURO VERY close to the 0z run, in fact, it maybe turning more NEG tilt quicker through 00z WED.  IF** we don't get convectively robbed from the GOM, we should have a nice SVR threat AL, GA, FL This run doesn't look to do it as bad, but I think its going to happen..There looks to be a nice WIND presences for sure.  

Archived