• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

And of course it all turned to ice on I-89 and led to numerous accidents.

I was up for this little squall and it was briefly moderate to heavy snow. We ended up with a quick few tenths, enough to whiten the ground. As Nittany said the main issue was some quick icing on 89.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

J.Spin must've just got lit up briefly... watch as those yellows pulse up as they hit the county line (Spine) at I-89.

We did get a decent shot of snow – I was sleeping in so I didn't catch the show in real time, but after clearing the measurement boards at 11:00 P.M. last night I found an additional 0.9" on all the boards when I went out this morning for observations:

29DEC14A.jpg

We've had continued light snow with more moisture moving through as we speak, so I'll likely have a bit more accumulation to report later:

29DEC14A.gif

I'll have the analysis up in just a bit.

Event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.10" L.E.

There was 0.08" of rain yesterday before the temperatures came down, and then 0.1" of snow/graupel in the evening, with another 0.9" of snow on the board this morning.

Details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 45.0

Snow Density: 2.2% H2O

Temperature: 27.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 2.0"

One interesting note on just how different the current snow is from what we picked up on the front end of the previous storm – the numbers are almost the exact inverse:  the snow from that last storm featured a snow/water ratio of 2.1, and a snow density of 48% H2O, while this morning's accumulation had a snow/water ratio of 45.0 and a snow density of 2.2% H2O.

On a seasonal note, while there's not much on the horizon to get this December to anything too respectable in terms of snowfall, today is potentially helping to shift its relative position around with respect to poor Decembers:

December 2006 total snowfall: 20.2"

December 2014 current snowfall: 24.6"

December 2011 total snowfall: 24.7"

December 2013 total snowfall: 26.2"

Mean December snow through 12/29:  37.7"

This season is currently jockeying for position with 2011 for second worst in my records, and is still coming in behind the poor December from last season.  For reference, mean December snowfall here through the 29th is also provided.

On a seasonal note, while there's not much on the horizon to get this December to anything too respectable in terms of snowfall, today is potentially helping to shift its relative position around with respect to poor Decembers:

December 2006 total snowfall: 20.2"

December 2014 current snowfall: 24.6"

December 2011 total snowfall: 24.7"

December 2013 total snowfall: 26.2"

Mean December snow through 12/29: 37.7"

This season is currently jockeying for position with 2011 for second worst in my records, and is still coming in behind the poor December from last season. For reference, mean December snowfall here through the 29th is also provided.

Yeah it really hasn't been as good as some think...we just had an awesome like 2-week period and then nothing at all. I think our mountain snowfall will also come in below normal for December. But we did have snow on the ground all month so that was nice.

Snowfall at 3000ft is... NOV 50", DEC 40" (average around 64") for 90" total.

Thinking of heading to Rangeley oe eustis Thursday for some riding. They claim 150mi of trails are groomed. I'm sure it's a bit bonney but i'm itching to try out new sled. Hope the winds subside over next couple nights so ponds can skim over.

Well, We are going to get our cold we were looking for, Your hyfax will probably be crying for there momma up there though, I hear trails are hard packed

Really nice to see the sun today.

1476180_10152461661772382_80656470512132

When I got home, I found 0.3" on the board from this morning's snow showers.  Maybe it was more earlier, as the sun took care of some of it on the south and west side of the house, but my board is more NE facing part of the yard.  The Stowe Village CoCoRAHS spot reported 0.3" this morning, too, so I bet I didn't lose anything during the day.

That 0.3" brings the total to 48.0" even for the season.  Current snow depth is 3".

If no more snow falls this month, it would come in at 23.7" here.  Just below November's 24.3".

The ticks are horrible, found one on me yesterday.  I heard from a coworker that up in ME people are finding moose dead with thousands of engorged ticks on them, presumed killed by the ticks. Who knows if its a true story though. We need some killer cold ASAP or the bugs will be unleashing an invasion come spring. 

Fortunately (for us, not the animals), moose ticks don't attack humans.  However, moose have been found with 40,000 of the critters, which are about 1/2" diameter when fully blood-gorged.  Over 70% of the spring 2013 calves radio-collared in Maine that fall died by summer this year, and some had ticks "shoulder" to "shoulder", with resultant anemia probably a major factor in their deaths.

Many fewer deer ticks in my area this past summer/fall compared with 2013, just the opposite of what I'd thought.  Though they are called deer ticks, the major carriers seem to be small rodents, and last winter's deep and long lasting snowpack should have meant high winter survival for mice and voles, thus plenty of potential tickbearers.

A wee bit belated...

November 2014

Averages/Totals
Max 43.2°F (-1.6°F)
Min 26.9°F (-2.3.°F)
Mean 35.1°F (-1.9°F)

Precip 3.30"

Snow 15.1"

SnowDD 59

ET 0.96"

Extremes
High Max 62.7°F (24th)
Low Min 7.9°F (29th)
Low Max 27.3°F (29th)
High Min 38.2°F (12th)

Max Rain 1.68" (16th)

Max Snow 11.2" (26th)

Max Snowstorm 12.5" (26th-27th)

Max Depth 12" (27th-29th)

Peak Gust 35mph (2nd)

Max 6" Soil 50°F (1st)

Min 6" Soil 35°F (23rd and prev dates)

High Bar 30.39inHg (22nd and prev dates)

Low Bar 29.43inHg (18th and prev dates)

Fortunately (for us, not the animals), moose ticks don't attack humans.  However, moose have been found with 40,000 of the critters, which are about 1/2" diameter when fully blood-gorged.  Over 70% of the spring 2013 calves radio-collared in Maine that fall died by summer this year, and some had ticks "shoulder" to "shoulder", with resultant anemia probably a major factor in their deaths.

Many fewer deer ticks in my area this past summer/fall compared with 2013, just the opposite of what I'd thought.  Though they are called deer ticks, the major carriers seem to be small rodents, and last winter's deep and long lasting snowpack should have meant high winter survival for mice and voles, thus plenty of potential tickbearers.

I just did a tick check............lol

8F here currently.  Nice to see a good, solid cold morning.

Maybe the lake will finally start to freeze up for good this week.  It's started to ice over a couple times but then the wind comes up, it warms up and/or rains.

Some of the small ponds have been in a somewhat frozen state since November but the big lakes are having a hard time...

I found one on Saturday after romping through the woods on Arrowsic Island.  #Displeased

A robust 10F this morning ... feels even colder than that given the spate of warm weather in recent days.

I was flying my Phantom 2+ Saturday morning just off Arrowsic (I live on a cove that is just opposite Arrowsic). As a matter of fact, my wx cam points toward the island and can be seen in the background.

During the winter months, deer traverse the iced-over cove to Arrowsic Island. This past summer, a friend of mine who lives on the island, called and said that he found a deer carcass that some Bald Eagles were picking over. He stated that the deer was infested with ticks.

Just a little lube would go a long ways, They may see some up slope towards the end of the week up there so it could help

All you need is a pair of scratchers. I wasn't a believer until I put a set on my 2014 last year. No hyfax issues even on the iciest of days, of course I also run studs and I just installed a set of dupont slides for this season.

The anniversary of Vermont's coldest temperature is today.

"On this date (December 30th) in 1933, the cooperative observer in Bloomfield, VT (Essex County) reported a low of -50F, the lowest temperature ever recorded in Vermont. This came under a strong high pressure with a reading of 31.00 inches (1050 mb) in Burlington, VT. Burlington also recorded a low of -29F. Here's a look at some of the other lows from around the area."

10888812_788083204596916_512036779537665

Today is also the anniversary of Farmington's coldest daily mean temp, -23.5 on -11/-36, but it occurred 16 years earlier than the VT record.  The Dec  29-31 cold waves of those two years established lots of records.

Down to 9 or 10 this morning at my place.  Today will actually come in below my avg, after a 20-day stretch with 19 AN days and an avg +8.9F.  The month will end as 4th mildest of 17 thanks to the early cold, more than 1.5F cooler than Dec 2006, but the 8 days with minima 30+ are the most in Dec, and this month's avg diurnal range will end up nearly 2F smaller than the 15.03F set in Feb 2010.

All you need is a pair of scratchers. I wasn't a believer until I put a set on my 2014 last year. No hyfax issues even on the iciest of days, of course I also run studs and I just installed a set of dupont slides for this season.

I have scratchers already but won't help much here with bare ground.............lol, They work well, Probably a moot point after this weekend for some areas that already have a pack anyways and going forward, Right now sled prep is in order with cleaning carbs and replacing reeds

I have scratchers already but won't help much here with bare ground.............lol, They work well, Probably a moot point after this weekend for some areas that already have a pack anyways and going forward, Right now sled prep is in order with cleaning carbs and replacing reeds

Ordered some cable scratchers from Flex. Will put them on tomorrow. Reviews seem decent so hoping they work well. Better than nothing. Check out Rangeley SC site if you have a chance. They've got a bunch of videos and pics from last couple days. Looks pretty decent save for a couple sink holes. lol. 

Ordered some cable scratchers from Flex. Will put them on tomorrow. Reviews seem decent so hoping they work well. Better than nothing. Check out Rangeley SC site if you have a chance. They've got a bunch of videos and pics from last couple days. Looks pretty decent save for a couple sink holes. lol. 

Will do, Those sink holes should start to take care of themselves over the next few days, Don't see temps going above freezing for most of our region over the next week or so with the potential storm helping us out this weekend in the snow dept

CON set their all-time record low max that date with -11F. That obliterates 2nd place (-4F).

Wow, -11F!   I think in the past 10 years I have only had one or two days with a max below zero.

Temp continues to fall nicely.  13.4F at 6pm.  Fields around the house are mostly bare but the north slopes and woods are still snowcovered.  Deer are all out eating frozen apples under the trees.

Archived