joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2014

Rtd208

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was definitely one of my favorite storms. For about 2 hours I could barely see across the street.

Yup. I liked it better than the Boxing Day storm 1 month earlier actually. I had to pick my wife up from Port Imperial ferry in Weehawken, NJ as that sleet T-storm moved through before the 4-5 inch per hour snow insanity began. Winds were gusting to 40mph, there was CG lightning and Heavy Sleet. It is one of the only times in my life I feared for my life while being out in a storm of any kind.

So did 12/19/09 in parts of LI (especially in and around Upton)

There was a nice one back in January 2004...two nice ones that month...and I sometimes mix them up...they both produced in the 8 -12 inch range out here...but one of them...the 1st one I think...around mid-month...it was progged to be basically over by 2 AM, IIRC...or at least the bulk of the precip...it was 11 PM...there was maybe an inch or so on the ground...and I knew time was running out...and boom!...heavy snow, blowing snow, strong winds...Blizzard of '83 type whiteout conditions...and probably about 10 inches or so fell in those 3 hours or so...salvaging the storm at the last minute. 

There was a nice one back in January 2004...two nice ones that month...and I sometimes mix them up...they both produced in the 8 -12 inch range out here...but one of them...the 1st one I think...around mid-month...it was progged to be basically over by 2 AM, IIRC...or at least the bulk of the precip...it was 11 PM...there was maybe an inch or so on the ground...and I knew time was running out...and boom!...heavy snow, blowing snow, strong winds...Blizzard of '83 type whiteout conditions...and probably about 10 inches or so fell in those 3 hours or so...salvaging the storm at the last minute.

i think that was the second storm... the first was the "super clipper" with high ratio fluff and light winds. the second storm on jan 27/28 featured a negatively tilted 500mb system more likely to cause those conditions

Yup. I liked it better than the Boxing Day storm 1 month earlier actually. I had to pick my wife up from Port Imperial ferry in Weehawken, NJ as that sleet T-storm moved through before the 4-5 inch per hour snow insanity began. Winds were gusting to 40mph, there was CG lightning and Heavy Sleet. It is one of the only times in my life I feared for my life while being out in a storm of any kind.

Boxing Day 2010 was better here wind-wise with 50-60 mph gusts but the snow intensity was too inconsistent-we had a period late that evening when we were stuck in subsidence while NJ got pounded where we had light falling snow. I'm not sure if that verified at JFK or Long Island terminals as a blizzard but it came very close if not. 

Boxing Day 2010 was better here wind-wise with 50-60 mph gusts but the snow intensity was too inconsistent-we had a period late that evening when we were stuck in subsidence while NJ got pounded where we had light falling snow. I'm not sure if that verified at JFK or Long Island terminals as a blizzard but it came very close if not.

If it wasn't, it was as close as you could get.

We stole your snow that night down in Mon County. I remember my buddy Randy texting me from Brightwaters enraged . 

For sure hit criteria in long beach that night. I took my best Jen walk of all time down the middle of park ave to sutton place which was the only bar open. I had full snowboard gear on googles and all. The combo of wind and snow blowing was down right dangerous if you weren't dressed for it. Full out snow tornadoes as the 50 plus mph gusts blew trough the buildings.

I would love to see another storm like that this winter.

Today's weather was not especially riveting by any accounts, but looking at the national picture, it's a wonderful time to be a weather enthusiast. The trough responsible for our synoptic rains today is quite the powerhouse longwave. A snapshot:

nfG2S7k.gif

Perhaps most impressive is the far upper air, where winds approaching 200 kts will contribute to the rapid development of a ~950 mb cyclone along the shores of the Labrador Sea within a couple days.

46wb1OL.gif

C9eNMzo.gif

Today's weather was not especially riveting by any accounts, but looking at the national picture, it's a wonderful time to be a weather enthusiast. The trough responsible for our synoptic rains today is quite the powerhouse longwave. A snapshot:

nfG2S7k.gif

Perhaps most impressive is the far upper air, where winds approaching 200 kts will contribute to the rapid development of a ~950 mb cyclone along the shores of the Labrador Sea within a couple days.

46wb1OL.gif

C9eNMzo.gif

Shouldn't that throw the nao super positive? It should however send down another blast of cross polar article air. Hudson Bay should be frozen soon which will help send even colder air

GFS Parallel still has the Turkey Day Storm but it's a coastal hugger on this run.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2014111800/gfsp_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_34.png

That was definitely one of my favorite storms. For about 2 hours I could barely see across the street.

4 inches in the morning and 14 inches at night with rain in between and thundersnow at night.

I lost power for 10 mins from Boxing Day. My door was snowed in and a lot of cars were stuck in my area.

For sure hit criteria in long beach that night. I took my best Jen walk of all time down the middle of park ave to sutton place which was the only bar open. I had full snowboard gear on googles and all. The combo of wind and snow blowing was down right dangerous if you weren't dressed for it. Full out snow tornadoes as the 50 plus mph gusts blew trough the buildings.

I would love to see another storm like that this winter.

I walked down to the Boardwalk that night and could barely walk against the wind-it was ferocious. 

The one knock about it was the dry patches that opened up when the megaband set up over E NJ. At one point besides the blowing snow it was flurrying for maybe an hour and that was it where I was. The really heavy snow came back in late that night when the band broke up and pivoted east, and we ended up with 18-19" or so. Very nice but not the 24-30" 30 miles west and southwest of here. 

12/19/09 was also very nice here but got really going just a little late for Nassau County. The winds were also strong but much less than Boxing Day. That was probably 15" here. 

One other winter storm that was also big for wind here was 2/25/10, although the snow didn't start in earnest until that night. 

The huge wind event here though besides Sandy was the 3/13/10 nor'easter with 75+ mph gusts here. That caused tons of wind and power line damage here-some places in Long Beach had no power for close to a week. It also made a transformer 20 feet from my house explode when a branch slammed into it. Scary event. 

I walked down to the Boardwalk that night and could barely walk against the wind-it was ferocious.

The one knock about it was the dry patches that opened up when the megaband set up over E NJ. At one point besides the blowing snow it was flurrying for maybe an hour and that was it where I was. The really heavy snow came back in late that night when the band broke up and pivoted east, and we ended up with 18-19" or so. Very nice but not the 24-30" 30 miles west and southwest of here.

12/19/09 was also very nice here but got really going just a little late for Nassau County. The winds were also strong but much less than Boxing Day. That was probably 15" here.

One other winter storm that was also big for wind here was 2/25/10, although the snow didn't start in earnest until that night.

The huge wind event here though besides Sandy was the 3/13/10 nor'easter with 75+ mph gusts here. That caused tons of wind and power line damage here-some places in Long Beach had no power for close to a week. It also made a transformer 20 feet from my house explode when a branch slammed into it. Scary event.

In regards to the March 2010 storm, there's a wx station at a school across the street from my house and at one point they were reporting winds sustained at 28 mph but gusting to 76 mph.

I remember the 1992 Nor'easter had some really high winds too. Nothing matches Sandy in my lifetime wind-wise. Also the labor day derecho really packed a punch.

Upton attached this tat the bottom of their ADF.

SOME RECORDS MAY BE TIED OR SET WITH THE COLD AIR FORECAST TUE AND

WED. THE FOLLOWING ARE RECORD LOW MAXIMUMS FOR TUE NOV 18 AND WED

NOV 19TH...

NOV 18 NOV 19

NYC....33/1959* 34/1882

JFK....32/1959 37/2008

LGA....32/1959 35/1951

EWR....33/1959 35/1951

BDR....32/1959 35/2008

ISP....41/2005 35/2008

*...ALSO OCCURRED IN PREVIOUS YEARS

RECORD LOWS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE ON THE MORNING OF WED NOV 19. THE

FOLLOWING ARE RECORD LOWS FOR WED NOV 19TH...

NYC....18/1936

JFK....27/2008

LGA....28/2008

EWR....19/1936

BDR....24/1986

ISP....23/1997

I think all stations Wednesday break the record low maximum.

Archived