joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2014

Rtd208

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on this date in 1968 there was a noreaster that brought rain mixed with sleet at times...There was one on the 10th also...I was at a Jet game at Shea stadium and it was sleeting during the game...No record of snow or sleet in Central Park...November 1968 had two or three noreasters after a warm start to the month...I believe the next time we got a noreaster that year was on February 9-10th 1969...this year the coastal storms started earlier like in 2002...

I thought the colder anomalies would shift further east this winter due to the warmer waters off the west coast being confined further east.

We would see a bunch of cutters if this pattern continued during the winter months if blocking is absent.

Thats what i aluded to earlier, when the pattern relaxes and reloads with more cold later in december. if we dont start showing signs of any established blocking east or west based around greenland it will be cold, rain, wash, rinse, repeat save for occasional transient blocking.

This isnt our month for snow, however in december our chances even for coastal locals increase dramatically. Blocking and +PNA will be crucial if we want to see snow with the cold air that will be available

I thought the colder anomalies would shift further east this winter due to the warmer waters off the west coast being confined further east.

We would see a bunch of cutters if this pattern continued during the winter months if blocking is absent.

Yeah, this thinking shouldn't make anyone a weenie either, its a legit gripe.

Its hard to get snow in November, I dont think really anyone is expecting it. However when and if we reload the pattern in early December or whatever, if we dont feature some sort of blocking, its going to be cutter after cutter.

That doesn't mean it won't snow, but more than likely there wouldn't be much, and the systems wouldn't be all that impressive

Oh good a warm miserable rain versus a cold one. I thought we wouldn't see 60s for a while but guess not.

I'll be happy if we get our first snowflakes Friday though as it shows progress towards winter.

Why does it have to be miserable? I love a good rainstorm. Especially if it ends up being really wrapped up like the GFS parallel indicates.

Yeah, this thinking shouldn't make anyone a weenie either, its a legit gripe.

Its hard to get snow in November, I dont think really anyone is expecting it. However when and if we reload the pattern in early December or whatever, if we dont feature some sort of blocking, its going to be cutter after cutter.

That doesn't mean it won't snow, but more than likely there wouldn't be much, and the systems wouldn't be all that impressive

It's interesting that the record October record blocking beginning in 2002 usually featured a relaxation in November

before reloading for DJF. So what we are seeing now is going according to script. The shift in blocking this

month to the Pacific is also textbook. The strong +PDO pattern is just focusing the blocking over NW

Canada/ Alaska instead of the Bering Sea.

Oh good a warm miserable rain versus a cold one. I thought we wouldn't see 60s for a while but guess not.

I'll be happy if we get our first snowflakes Friday though as it shows progress towards winter.

Dude it's november, be happy the pattern is getting active. We have a long way to go.

Bam. People are getting too nervous way to early.

The greatest November cutter of the last 30 years was 11-11-95 with severe thunderstorms  and gusts to 75 mph in Long Beach. Trees were downed everywhere and the western half of Long Beach lost power for the better

part of a day. We all know how that winter turned out.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1995/us1112.php

The greatest November cutter of the last 30 years was 11-11-95 with severe thunderstorms  and gusts to 75 mph in Long Beach. Trees were downed everywhere and the western half of Long Beach lost power for the better

The NAO was negative that entire month too and we could not get any of those storms in the first couple of weeks to take favorable tracks...November is a different world, especially before the 20th-25th to get a coastal system even when the NAO is negative.

The greatest November cutter of the last 30 years was 11-11-95 with severe thunderstorms and gusts to 75 mph in Long Beach. Trees were downed everywhere and the western half of Long Beach lost power for the better

The cutter of cutters! But seriously we should all be looking at the pattern and agree with what you said about blocking in october 2002 fading in november only to come back DJF. Whether that happens again according to plan has obviously yet to be seen but no panic should happen right now

Archived