joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2014

Rtd208

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah the infamous Day 10 gfs snow threats but they're starting early this year and this run managed to push back the relaxation of the pattern a few days from the last run. We're probably going to see the relaxation keep getting pushed back but it will happen. I definitely don't expect a -5 November. I think somewhere from a -2 to -3 is very reasonable though given the upcoming pattern if not a bit lower. 

I saw the departures thus far and they're still negative but by tomorrow I believe they'll be either near 0 or just above and will push a bit further up from Wednesday's departures before starting to drop again.

Ah the infamous Day 10 gfs snow threats but they're starting early this year and this run managed to push back the relaxation of the pattern a few days from the last run. We're probably going to see the relaxation keep getting pushed back but it will happen. I definitely don't expect a -5 November. I think somewhere from a -2 to -3 is very reasonable though given the upcoming pattern if not a bit lower. 

I saw the departures thus far and they're still negative but by tomorrow I believe they'll be either near 0 or just above and will push a bit further up from Wednesday's departures before starting to drop again.

what 10 day snow threat ?

12Z PGFS

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2014111112/gfsp_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_40.png

Time to give that one up. But you have at least two better setups to look forward to.

Why?

it depends on expectations, there is no way that it is anything big but, if the expectations are the possibility of seeing the first snow of the year,  then i think thursday night/friday is still worth watching.

it depends on expectations, there is no way that it is anything big but, if the expectations are the possibility of seeing the first snow of the year,  then i think thursday night/friday is still worth watching.

I would not give up yet on the Friday possibility, last winter we saw many cases of events close in ending up more west.

We need higher heights near Greenland to prevent the PV from moving back northward too quickly. Otherwise, an inland runner could still be a risk.

What would also help is a faster energy ejection.

But from a broad perspective, that's still a pretty good setup with the split-flow and at least initial confluence from the strong PV. That airmass may be tough to scour out.

If I could post the 500mb vorticy maps of the Euro, you would see that at 240 hours you have another piece of energy dropping into the backside of the trough. In other words, H5 was about to go off the charts when the run ended.

So besides the fact that we're in clown range, way too many variables at this point to say what precip type might be.

I can't believe that we're putting this much discussion into a day 10 op run.

We need higher heights near Greenland to prevent the PV from moving back northward too quickly. Otherwise, an inland runner could still be a risk.

What would also help is a faster energy ejection.

But from a broad perspective, that's still a pretty good setup with the split-flow and at least initial confluence from the strong PV. That airmass may be tough to scour out.

I think you will see 5 days of a flexing and relaxing of the Vortex on the OP runs . The runs are going to range from fantasy fluff to 40 degrees and driving rain . 

I like the Euro ensembles ejecting a piece behind the 1st center that comes to the coast early next week . 

It`s a timing issue in my mind and I will only be interested to see if the piece does not show up at all 

Every other solution IMO is just OP run to OP run variance . 

Archived