• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2014

Rtd208

Why would anyone analyze a Day 10 storm when a Day 5 storm is already difficult enough to forecast. One at a time please. I'm all for analyzing a pattern up to 10 days out because it's far more stable but analyzing a storm that far out proves impossible.

The fact that snow threats exist already is good enough for me. If I had to guess then the real fun begins after the relaxation period. Everything favors blocking developing as we go further in so things should be good.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 144 hr low on the Euro is going to come too far west for the coast and city without

much blocking near the Davis Strait. Interior Northeast looks to have the best chance

of frozen unless the blocking increases in later runs.

ecmwf_z500a_nhem_7.png

Snow in november is a bonus, that is an awesome pattern setting up and that's what should count. We still have 4-5 weeks to go before winter sets in.

Take a look at the difference at 500 at 240 on the OP vs the Ensembles . Notice how on the OP the Euro drags it feet with the SW feature and slows the PV in through Central Canada  allowing the ridge to bulge on the EC .

The Ensembles are deeper and displaces the PV further East allowing more cold air to get entrained .When we look at the 850`s you can how much colder they are to the coast .

10 days out so its just worth noting watch the ensembles this far out I think they have a better handle than Op run to OP run .

post-7472-0-71118200-1415739350_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-51186800-1415739364_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-68814200-1415739374_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-95886200-1415739414_thumb.pn

Take a look at the difference at 500 at 240 on the OP vs the Ensembles . Notice how on the OP the Euro drags it feet with the SW feature and slows the PV in through Central Canada allowing the ridge to bulge on the EC .

The Ensembles are deeper and displaces the PV further East allowing more cold air to get entrained .When we look at the 850`s you can how much colder they are to the coast .

10 days out so its just worth noting watch the ensembles this far out I think they have a better handle than Op run to OP run .

Paul, It's amazing how this pattern is setting up for us this early in the season. I think we may get a burst of snow Friday. Heavy rain Sunday night when it could change to some patchy snow showers and get cold setting up the stage for next Thursdays storm. Too early but so far I like the setup for the day 10 storm. Notice the setup for Sunday night into Monday system, it's cold but the high pressure is too Far East and we have extra low by the lakes which will screw up our chances for a full blown snowstorm. Could change just don't think that setup will do it. Next Thursday I'm in for that!

Paul, It's amazing how this pattern is setting up for us this early in the season. I think we may get a burst of snow Friday. Heavy rain Sunday night when it could change to some patchy snow showers and get cold setting up the stage for next Thursdays storm. Too early but so far I like the setup for the day 10 storm. Notice the setup for Sunday night into Monday system, it's cold but the high pressure is too Far East and we have extra low by the lakes which will screw up our chances for a full blown snowstorm. Could change just don't think that setup will do it. Next Thursday I'm in for that!

The ensembles look more like day 10 into 11. They are tad slower than the OP. The ensembles have been leaning on the 22nd for a few days

That's the following Sat .

But one at a time. I Just wanted to point out the differences between the OP and the Ensembles

The PGFS is closer to the correct solution for day 10 then the GFS. The reason the PGFS was created was to correct the flaw in the GFS of its over emphahsis of the northern stream which many times gives it a southeast bias for east coast storms and it finally finds the correct solution closer to the event - thats why it is showing a snowstorm at day 10 - the new PGFS is closer to the Euro solution......

The PGFS is closer to the correct solution for day 10 then the GFS. The reason the PGFS was created was to correct the flaw in the GFS of its over emphahsis of the northern stream which many times gives it a southeast bias for east coast storms and it finally finds the correct solution closer to the event - thats why it is showing a snowstorm at day 10 - the new PGFS is closer to the Euro solution......

The Euro is much closer to the GFS op, not sure why you think it's close to the PGFS, I don't see that at all.

Snow in november is a bonus, that is an awesome pattern setting up and that's what should count. We still have 4-5 weeks to go before winter sets in.

That's the way I look at it since 30 year means are only 0.3 snow at NYC for November.

You need to get lucky for an early record snow like we saw right after Sandy. 

Also the 18z P GFS looks identical to the EURO cutter and WARM WARM.

It will change a million times if your talking about Day 10. Also worry about the pattern and not every model run. I see the chance at some snow before the pattern relaxes but I wouldn't expect more than that.

It's not a favorable blocking pattern that would yield snow right now and a lot of things are still falling into place.

The models will change rapidly and I hate model watching. If it's rain then so be it, a couple weeks ago November was supposed to torch and models failed on that idea.

what is this close too ? I don't believe I have ever seen this on Nov 18th - another extreme if this verifieshttp://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2014111118/gfsp_asnow_us_28.png

You will not find that on many Dec 18th weather maps either.

Crazy that the model sees the country that cold as a whole and that it's even modeled to do that in mid Nov

Archived