Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2014

Rtd208

It`s Nov 12 . Patience buddy .

Paul wasnt referring to it snowing in november as its not a winter month for our area. Was referencing the lack of blocking so far with the cold expected, and after a relaxation and reload if we can finally get an established west or east based -NAO to give us some kind of atlantic blocking regime to work in tandem with the -AO, +PNA etc.

Lacking any kind of blocking, save for a rogue 50/50 or any kind of confluence in SE canada storms can just cut. November is known for cold, rain, cold patterns i know. This is just a reference into a scenario post-reload of cold air after pattern relaxes end of this month beginning of december.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

exactly - these cold outbreaks do not have the same effect on the lower levels of the atmoshere closer to the coast including where we are walking around in November as they would 1 month from now so don't expect to much from this first round except a couple inches of snow in most places - but from all indications by mid December we should get the reload and that one will be more impressive...

Read my response, this wasnt made in hopes of nailing a november snowfall but rather blocking being established after the cold reloads in december

Agree - plus those NAO and other indicie forecast charts have not been accurate lately

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif

No they havent and thats where pattern analysis over relying on a computer models forecast comes into play. like i stated although we may possibly pull a couple of inches of snow out of this cold snap. more should not be expected climatologically speaking and what the pattern is showing with the lack of blocking, any sort of blocking established or transient in matter of fact. Still watching the following weekend (22-23) but thats wayyyy in the future

The 00z GGEM has a bit of a mix and or snow NW of the city for Thursday night

I_nw_g1_EST_2014111200_052.png

its going to take a moderate to heavy burst of snow to whiten the ground in the immediate metro area - those inland locations around I 80 north and west should see at least a trace to an inch 

its going to take a moderate to heavy burst of snow to whiten the ground in the immediate metro area - those inland locations around I 80 north and west should see at least a trace to an inch 

I'll let you know if I get anything. Not expecting anything more than a car topper, if anything at all.

We're past peak here in the foliage department but we still have another two weeks or so until we're completely bare, so hopefully it's not enough to cause much damage.

As John was alluding to yesterday we can see a pullback coming as we go from mid Thanksgiving week into the 1st week of Dec . 

Some of these departures from normal in the Midwest are just absurd so some moderation had to be expected .

The GEFS doesn't break down the -EPO/+PNA pattern as much in the long range. We will moderate somewhat before Thanksgiving day, before another reload could be occurring at the end of this month:1ycjs.jpg

After last winter, I will only use the NAM at 12 hours or less.

Not really expecting much of anything Thursday night. Most reports indicate rain or snow showers possible.

After last winter? The NAM is pretty much useless at any range, i cant even take that model seriously. Under 24 hours the Hi-Res models are the way to go. Outside of 24-48hrs i reference the GFS/ECMWF/GGEM etc.

The 12z GFS OP is more organized down near OBX. This in turn results in most of the moisutre getting pulled OTS. I've personally always felt that this was nothing more than a few sprinkles with a few wet flakes mixed in well north and west. Where it's cold enough for snow, it has the least amount of dynamics to work with.

The surface is still pretty warm. Again you run into the situation where the coldest air is displaced from the best dynamics.

Me and you both talked about the friday and monday storm being most if not all rain for coastal areas. the following weekend storm "currently" shows more promise for snow that these two but its still too early to dive into details something 8-10 days out

Archived